Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan McGowan scored in Hearts 5-1 Scottish Cup Final win over Hibs. "Skippy" is a cult figure, bleeds maroon and was in the top 3 players on the park. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself in the squad for the friendly against Scotand in Edinburgh in August - at least in the train-on squad.

Is that you Pim? :eek:

:confused::confused::confused: Ridiculous post

Pim played two holding midfielders most of the time he was in charge and one of his flaws was not giving opportunities to players who deserved call-ups, sticking with the same old guys instead. Luongo's a creative midfielder and probably one of, if not the best young aussie prospect going around.

You would think he's still too young to start, but we're still playing potatoes like Valeri and Jedinak, so I wouldn't mind seeing a promising creative midfielder in the side at all, especially considering the most creative player in the team is Luke Wilkshire.

I'm referring to the fact that you think he is automatically better because he is training at a european club. Pim pulled that s**t instead of picking inform a-league players like McKay etc. Luongo deserves a call up on what :eek: :eek: :eek: Who's to say he isn't the new Patafta. He has to do something at senior club level before you would even think about picking him.

It's just laughable to say a bloke that isn't even playing should be picked ahead of a guy like Jedinak who is a regular at his team and playing well. If you say Rhys Williams should play CM instead of Luongo you might have a point, but some kid that's played a couple of half decent youth games, get your hand off it.

Ryan McGowan scored in Hearts 5-1 Scottish Cup Final win over Hibs. "Skippy" is a cult figure, bleeds maroon and was in the top 3 players on the park. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself in the squad for the friendly against Scotand in Edinburgh in August - at least in the train-on squad.

He's definately photogenic. The Australian flag is encouraging, I thought he'd decided to wait for a Scotland call up..or was that his brother.

art-svMCGOWAN-420x0.jpg

celtic_2194005b.jpg

aussie_2225069b.jpg

I'm referring to the fact that you think he is automatically better because he is training at a european club. Pim pulled that s**t instead of picking inform a-league players like McKay etc. Luongo deserves a call up on what :eek: :eek: :eek: Who's to say he isn't the new Patafta. He has to do something at senior club level before you would even think about picking him.

It's just laughable to say a bloke that isn't even playing should be picked ahead of a guy like Jedinak who is a regular at his team and playing well. If you say Rhys Williams should play CM instead of Luongo you might have a point, but some kid that's played a couple of half decent youth games, get your hand off it.

Oh dear, do you know why nobody from the A-League is getting picked?(besides a few washed up hacks as backup, like Jade North). It's because that League is still a joke. McKay has done well, but if we're going to keep bringing in players of his caliber, then we can forget about progressing through the group stages in the WC again.

I know Luongo doesn't have runs on the board in a top league, but hey, he's talented and he's a creative passing midfielder, something we don't have at the moment that we could really use, so I wouldn't be against at least having him in the squad instead of the old guys who simply aren't good enough.

Oh dear, do you know why nobody from the A-League is getting picked?(besides a few washed up hacks as backup, like Jade North). It's because that League is still a joke. McKay has done well, but if we're going to keep bringing in players of his caliber, then we can forget about progressing through the group stages in the WC again.

I know Luongo doesn't have runs on the board in a top league, but hey, he's talented and he's a creative passing midfielder, something we don't have at the moment that we could really use, so I wouldn't be against at least having him in the squad instead of the old guys who simply aren't good enough.

I understand what you're saying and don't want to get involved in some big argument about this, but... What's he done that would warrant a call up? I know you've referred to Patafta (or someone has) but call ups to the national team squad for experience is a joke. Blokes need to be playing senior football for their club before they're even considered for a NT call up.

It's different for junior squads, providing he is match fit and playing regular reserve football, but regardless of how talented he is, no youngsters should be called up to the senior NT without proving their worth in senior games. It'd be hard to get that with Tottenham, so he'd need to look at a loan move before that'll even happen.

He's definately photogenic. The Australian flag is encouraging, I thought he'd decided to wait for a Scotland call up..or was that his brother.

art-svMCGOWAN-420x0.jpg

celtic_2194005b.jpg

aussie_2225069b.jpg
The opposite - he'd been talked about aligning to Scotland in the rags over there but all but ruled that out and wants to become a Socceroo.

The opposite - he'd been talked about aligning to Scotland in the rags over there but all but ruled that out and wants to become a Socceroo.

Good. Surely he deserves a call up with Spiranovic not even getting a game and Neill being, well, Neill.

though he made the statement “wo shi shanghai ren” (I’m a Shanghainese), and it’s those four words that stuck in the brain of Beijingers.

I cannot fathom Joel Griffiths learning Chinese. He seemed to have a hard time grappling with English any time I've heard him speak. It's a shame we never kept him in the A-League. A decent player and a human headline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's photogenic? well i guess the standards are pretty low in scotland.

and yeah i would definitely like to see ersan gulum because he is caples - only ever made the bench. imagine if we could merge him, williams, lowry, de vere, mcgowan and good in over the next two seasons

Neill is way past it. Needs to give it away, especially at international level. Him being the captain means he gets a cap automatically, but it's time for him to stand down. Would be a handy depth player in the squad/on the bench and a wise old head but he's no longer good enough to be a starting CB, needs to realise that and step down as captain, or consider calling it quits. Asian Cup 2011 should have been his goodbye, but like many sportsman he's clinging on and milking his career for everything he can.

Massimo Luongo on the verge of joining Ipswich. Now we can see if GB is a modern day Nostradamous or not!

In all seriousness though, all the best to the kid. He was one of the real standouts in a very good Spurs youth side. Hoping he gets regular games at Ipswich and returns to us next year to push for a squad role

Liam Reddy to Iran side Esteghlal

What are the drinking laws like over there, anyone? ;)

Troisi to Juventus :thumbsu: who are planning on loaning him to a side just been promoted to Serie A

Is this move still on given Veratti (who they were looking to buy from Pescara and loan Troisi to) has gone to PSG?

Triosi is doing a medical with Juve and will be loaned to Atalanta. I guess he's a bit too Holmanlike to be a regular but good to see someone at a decent level in Europe. Hopefully he can get a gig considering they're in Serie A. We really need a Wilkshire or Cahill to come out of nowhere and make the step up for the Socceroos.

Rukavystya is back in the Bundesliga and with Mainz. The manager is giving him big wraps so looks like he'll be in first team plans. It's also good he got away from the basketcase Hertha Berlin. A much bigger club but with much bigger issues. How many managers last season?

Thank god Ryan McGowen didn't go to Rangers, dodged a bullet there. He should get capped sooner rather than later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back