Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw this on Jason Davison's Wikipedia page:

Jason Lockie Michalski Davidson is a terrible Australian international football player, who currently plays for Football League Championship side Huddersfield Town and the Australian national football team.

Ouch

I still laughed. Not sure what happened to him, things were looking ok for him when he moved from Heracles.

Good mid week matches for the Aussies in the English League Championship:

Mooy yet another 90 minutes in a 1-1 draw with Aston Villa. 83 passes with 89% success rate. Think he has the most passes in the Championship so far.

Jackson Irvine scored for Burton Albion, and also played 90 minutes in a 3-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday.

Bailey Wright played the full 90 for Preston North End as well, losing 1-0 vs Derby.

Luongo's QPR play Barnsley tomorrow morning, so hopefully he will get another start and 90 minutes.

Its about building depth now for us. We've got a lot of good young players in quality leagues around the world.

Don't have the out and out star power we used to (besides Ryan maybe) but we need to develop that large group of guys, any of whom can be called upon

Following on from that discussion about Jason Davison, I read yesterday that he's gone out on loan to Grongingen in Holland. Probably not a bad move for him.

Rogic seems to have worked his way into Celtic's starting line up - they're currently on BeIN 3. 10 minutes in and Celtic have had least 80% possession... and Tommy has barely had a touch. They're missing that link between midfield and attack early on too. (St Johnston fans apparently don't bother going to watch their team.)

Finally, Villa are also on BeIN in the early hours of Sunday. Don't know if Jedinak will start, but there doesn't seem much reason for him not to.

Following on from that discussion about Jason Davison, I read yesterday that he's gone out on loan to Grongingen in Holland. Probably not a bad move for him.

Rogic seems to have worked his way into Celtic's starting line up - they're currently on BeIN 3. 10 minutes in and Celtic have had least 80% possession... and Tommy has barely had a touch. They're missing that link between midfield and attack early on too. (St Johnston fans apparently don't bother going to watch their team.)

Finally, Villa are also on BeIN in the early hours of Sunday. Don't know if Jedinak will start, but there doesn't seem much reason for him not to.
Apparently Villa thought differently... eh.

Indeed - I flicked on the replay (without spoilers) at midday today and he wasn't even on the bench.

Didn't care enough to figure out why, but in hindsight he probably hasn't even had a proper training session with his new team yet, so maybe I should've expected it. (On an off topic note, holy s**t do Villa have some names in their team. It's surprising enough that they were relegated, but even more surprising that they were able to hold onto the Richards' and Ayew's, and add a Jedinak into that.)

Maybe his transfer papers didn't come through in time? But probably gonna give him the week to train and see how he fits in.

Saw QPR-Preston North End . Aussie affair, Luongo played the full 90 but doesn't seem to be fitting well with Hasellbaink's game plan. Preston got the win and Bailey Wright did well, also 90 mins for him.

Best thing about last night was Burton 2- all with Jackson Irvine notching another goal. He's a bolter for Socceroos atm, has good things about him and doing well in midfield.

Mooy played 56 mins before subbing off. Think the fitness is more of an issue, given he just played 3 games in a week or so. Very different to A League's week by week. Huddersfield are doing really well, top of English Championship at the moment.

I kind of hope Huddersfield go up. Don't have any attachment to them... don't even know anything about them.

But if they go up, "the pasty Pirlo" will have had a lot to do with it, and they'll surely use some of the proceeds of promotion to try and hang onto him. I'm really interested to see what Mooy might be worth on an open market. That's just as interesting as seeing how he'd actually go in the top flight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many of our midfielders are in excellent form at the moment, it's just going to be hard to fit them all in. I've never been convinced that Mooy, Luongo and Rogic can all play in the same team with Jedinak at the base of the midfield but they're all in great form lately, along with Jackson Irvine who seems to be impressing at Burton. At least our midfield has genuine depth now though.

One option could be to play a diamond, but that then raises the problem of where to play Leckie and Kruse as well as a striker as I don't think either of those two are terribly convincing up front.

Alex Gersbach (who I think is an excellent footballer with massive potential) seems to have started really well at Rosenborg as well.

I think RB is pretty much our only problem position now and the only position where we don't have players playing consistently well overseas. The striker issue seems to be resolved for the time being with the addition of Giannou and the impressive start to life Tom Juric has made in Switzerland.

I am ridiculously excited about what this crop of Socceroos can do over the next few years and I really fancy their chances of getting out of their group in Russia regardless of who we draw. I think Ange has built a really good squad and I'm keen to see how they get on in some of the more difficult qualifiers.

So many of our midfielders are in excellent form at the moment, it's just going to be hard to fit them all in. I've never been convinced that Mooy, Luongo and Rogic can all play in the same team with Jedinak at the base of the midfield but they're all in great form lately, along with Jackson Irvine who seems to be impressing at Burton. At least our midfield has genuine depth now though.

One option could be to play a diamond, but that then raises the problem of where to play Leckie and Kruse as well as a striker as I don't think either of those two are terribly convincing up front.

Alex Gersbach (who I think is an excellent footballer with massive potential) seems to have started really well at Rosenborg as well.

I think RB is pretty much our only problem position now and the only position where we don't have players playing consistently well overseas. The striker issue seems to be resolved for the time being with the addition of Giannou and the impressive start to life Tom Juric has made in Switzerland.

I am ridiculously excited about what this crop of Socceroos can do over the next few years and I really fancy their chances of getting out of their group in Russia regardless of who we draw. I think Ange has built a really good squad and I'm keen to see how they get on in some of the more difficult qualifiers.
It's only going to get better with the four being 22-25 years of age. Good headache to have indeed. Think Postecoglou likes having a designated striker such as Cahill with the wide diamond. Mooy and Luongo don't seem to gel together atm, generally Jedinak/Mooy/Rogic can get the job done. But among all that, does Milligan still have a spot, or will the good form actually squeeze him out and give a chance to those youngsters? I'm not convinced either with Jedinak. If he can't get game time for Villa (he should be anyway..) then even he might be pushed out sooner.

Thought Risdon had that RB his for a while, but the long A League break works against him, still another month or so away from playing competitively. He really needed to get an overseas club, especially Europe, to push his case. Surely only a matter of time.

The English Football League Cup happened overnight:

Jackson Irvine played 45 minutes, coming off after half time, in Burton Albion's thumping 5 nil loss to Liverpool. Hoping just a tactical change and nothing else.

Preston North End beat Oldham 2-0, and Bailey Wright didn't feature. Oldham's Cameron Burgess, who switched allegiances to Australia a few years ago, played the full 90 minutes.

Massion Luongo's QPR also won through to the next round, beating Rochdale 2-1. Luongo did play some minutes, coming on in the 61st minute.

On that discussion about Socceroo midfielders, I'm surprised that Milligan continues to be so under rated. Over the last 2 years he's been a better performer for the national team than Jedinak - it's not even close. If Mike wasn't the captain, and if he wasn't occasionally deadly on set pieces there's no way he would be picked ahead of Milligan on form and output.

On that discussion about Socceroo midfielders, I'm surprised that Milligan continues to be so under rated. Over the last 2 years he's been a better performer for the national team than Jedinak - it's not even close. If Mike wasn't the captain, and if he wasn't occasionally deadly on set pieces there's no way he would be picked ahead of Milligan on form and output.
No. Just no. It's a close run thing but Mile has been better.

No. Just no. It's a close run thing but Mile has been better.

Rubbish. In the big games Milligan has been far more important. Aside from Luongo, Milligan was our best player at the Asian Cup last year.

Rubbish. In the big games Milligan has been far more important. Aside from Luongo, Milligan was our best player at the Asian Cup last year.
Can't say I agree. Also Mat Ryan was far and away better than Milligan in the Asian Cup, you need to take your MV goggles off.

Can't say I agree. Also Mat Ryan was far and away better than Milligan in the Asian Cup, you need to take your MV goggles off.

Oh good, we're pulling this main board s**t where you can't have an opinion independent of the team you support are we? :rolleyes:

Oh good, we're pulling this main board s**t where you can't have an opinion independent of the team you support are we? :rolleyes:
Sorry, but when you say s**t like "he's been better than Jedinak and it isn't even close" when that's disputable, and "Milligan was our second best player in the Asian Cup" despite him being nowhere near that placing (with Ryan, Cahill, Sainsbury and Leckie nigh on undisputedly better at the very least), you open that up for yourself.

Also notice that you haven't disputed my point about Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back