NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The punting position at the Packers will be decided during the pre-season.

It's no surprise at all - he is there on merit.

Two other Aussie lads were given the boot after mini-camp and OTAs at the Patriots and Giants.

It's NFL, not AFL. It's an incredibly tough gig.

Blinkers off.

Packers Traning camp day 8.

ive herd that Brian was holding for Crosby on FG's. Mathays first punt was a shank of a pooch kick. next Brian also shanked a punt, but was put down as a bad snap. and reports are that Brian is still winning more days, and will start preseason game 1 against the browns. no work if it will be half/half games or 1 week each to start.

For the Cleveland pre-season game, expect one punter to hold for all kicks and Bryan and Masthay to alternate at punter.

The punter who did not hold in the Cleveland game will hold in the second game against the Seahawls and they will alternate at punter again.

For the Cleveland pre-season game, expect one punter to hold for all kicks and Bryan and Masthay to alternate at punter.

The punter who did not hold in the Cleveland game will hold in the second game against the Seahawls and they will alternate at punter again.

Holding seems to where Masthay has the edge over Bryan. Crosby is consistently hitting with Masthay holding, and the opposite for Bryan.

Coaches seem adamant that the Punter will also serve as the Holder, which isn't good news for Chris, cos the Punting job seems to be neck and neck all the way through so far, and if its decided on holding ability... not good.

If he doesn't clearly out-punt Masthay, I don't think he'll get it. Not his best day today either (punting from backed up in the EZ). But was good and consistent on pooch punt practice from the OPP46.

bilde

Chris Bryan had an excellent practice for the Packers today, which has probably put him ahead in the battle for starting punter.

RobDemovsky said:
Bryan averaged 52.3 yards and 4.56 hang time on punts he swung away. Masthay was 47.6 and 4.08.

On pooch punts, Bryan placed it an ave of the 10 yard line, incl one at the 3. Masthay averaged the 16.25 yard line with best at the 11.

Crosby on a role, 6 for 6 with string wind behind. 28, 33, 36, 40, 45, 53. All FGs were downwind. All with Bryan holding.

Bolded bit extremely important, as it was where Chris was struggling earlier in TC. Is doing the holding in the game @ Seattle this week, so that'll be telling.

Either way, coaches believe we have two good punters, and whichever one gets cut could catch on elsewhere. So not the end of the world if Chris doesn't win it.

Just to inform that Chris Bryan has been signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today and will make his regular season debut at home v the Cleveland Browns at 5.00am Monday our time.

The Buccaneers waived rookie punter Brent Bowden, who was a 5th round draft pick in this year's draft, to sign Chris..

Chris is the starting punter for Tampa Bay after commencing full training in October 2009 with ProKick Australia. It is a tremendous achievement by Chris and Nathan Chapman.

Link below

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/arti...w-Punter/0f2bd752-9ebf-4f9a-bed6-676094a867e6

Cheers

Johnny Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brilliant, well done to him and all those that helped him get a gig.
4 starting punters will help keep us in the local papers....occassionally.
Who is the forth? Graham, Rocca, Bryan and ?

Saw an interesting thing in Mangini's news conference transcript today made me think of this thread. Although I haven't been able to find any more information.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/09/post_31.html

Code:
(On sports scientists in Australia)- "These sports scientists over there, we developed relationship with the Australian Institute of Sport in New York and had one of their scientists come out and watch our practices and try to continue to develop that. This was in New York. It's amazing to me how a country that size can consistently produce athletes that are special athletes and I think that they do a great job with the way that they approach it, it's impressive."
Code:

The number 1 JC prospect and the number 3 DT overall (according to Rivals) is an Australian. Jesse Williams, he is a 6'4", 350lb monster at 19 years old. Committed to Alabama and is considered a big signing for them. Hopefully he can make it to the NFL

It'd be truly great to see another Aussie make it especially at a non-punting position. And he sure as heck doesn't look like a punter.
I had never heard of him until now and have just found this article:

College football recruiting: DT Jesse Williams makes big impression - ESPN

rec_jwilliams_200.jpg

* Just on a side note, in the last few weeks I've noticed a couple of newspaper tidbits stating ex-AFL players and punter-wannabes Nick Davis and Trent Croad have been training and recording good distance and hang time. Stay tuned.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1141429

He never dreamed how much better it could be. The idea that football could be a lucrative profession was, well, foreign to him. Yet if the analysts' projections are correct, Williams could be a millionaire in a couple of years.

"Honestly, I don't think about that," he says. "It's popped up in conversation from time to time. Coach tells me about it. But I came here to America to go to school. It never dawned on me [football] might be a career."

Others saw the possibilities after Williams had a strong freshman season at Arizona Western, when he had 46 tackles, 3.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. That got the attention of big-time FBS coaches.

Here's the lastest article on Jesse Williams with his JUCO highlights at Western Arizona. I mean wow. number one JUCO prospect gets recuited by Nick Saban to Alabama. With all his NFL connections... Williams is going to make an NFL team for sure in the next couple of years. That rare size, strength and speed is going to get him drafted as a nose tackle. I'm excited for this guy.

"Honestly, I don't think about that," he says. "It's popped up in conversation from time to time. Coach tells me about it. But I came here to America to go to school. It never dawned on me [football] might be a career."

yeah right. What's he studying, astrophysics?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back