NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

ZimZum

All Australian
Dec 3, 2003
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, North Adelaide
Re: Ben Graham (no one posted about it yet in here)

Ben Graham (no one posted about it yet in here)

Maybe no one has posted about it because he is a PUNTER.

Seriously, who watching the NFL really cares about the punter. Even the water boys have a more important job.

I have always wondered why they use a punter. Why not use someone with a strong arm. On fourth down, bring in a QB who can launch the ball 50-60 yards. Have a couple of quick receivers, you never know. Even if you turn the ball over, atleast it will be 50 yards down field. The amount of dodgey punts I've seen this year, Bennet's 28 yarder for one, you would think someone would give it ago.

ZimZum said:
I have always wondered why they use a punter. Why not use someone with a strong arm. On fourth down, bring in a QB who can launch the ball 50-60 yards. Have a couple of quick receivers, you never know. Even if you turn the ball over, atleast it will be 50 yards down field. The amount of dodgey punts I've seen this year, Bennet's 28 yarder for one, you would think someone would give it ago.
And what happens when you dont complete the pass or it's not intercepted?

Punting units are important. The punter the least important member. Christ, I can kick a gridiron ball 35 yds, and more often than not that's long enough.

ZimZum

All Australian
Dec 3, 2003
Other Teams

JeffDunne said:
And what happens when you dont complete the pass or it's not intercepted?

Uuummmm. You retain possession of the football.

I was just thinking out loud (on this thread). Would be interested to know what others think. I know play callers in the NFL like to play percentages and for field position. Still, someone like myself, who wasn't brought up on NFL like aussie rules and cricket, may see things from a different angle.

Yankee Magpie

Rookie
Aug 6, 2004
Clinton, Utah, USA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
St George-Illawarra

ZimZum said:
Uuummmm. You retain possession of the football.

I was just thinking out loud (on this thread). Would be interested to know what others think. I know play callers in the NFL like to play percentages and for field position. Still, someone like myself, who wasn't brought up on NFL like aussie rules and cricket, may see things from a different angle.
If you were to throw an incomplete pass on 4th down you'd lose possession of the ball, giving the other team much better field position than they'd have if you punted. All the defensive backs would have to do is knock down the pass.

Scrumhalf

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
RC Toulon, Liverpool FC, FC Seoul

I always had in mind that Gridiron kickers should have two jobs; to punt the ball for yardage/clearance and to kick goals.

To only punt the ball in NFL and earning a sh*tload of $$$ is ludicrious.

ZimZum

All Australian
Dec 3, 2003
Other Teams

Yankee Magpie said:
If you were to throw an incomplete pass on 4th down you'd lose possession of the ball, giving the other team much better field position than they'd have if you punted. All the defensive backs would have to do is knock down the pass.

Which is what happens if you punt as well. Punters rarely kick for more than 60 yards anyway.

The Hippie

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2001
Temora, N.S.W.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Temora Roos

ZimZum said:
Which is what happens if you punt as well. Punters rarely kick for more than 60 yards anyway.

No, it doesn't. If a pass is incomplete, the ball then comes back to the point where the ball was snapped. With a punt, the ball is dead where the play ends after any return, or if it goes out of bounds or into the end zone.

ZimZum

All Australian
Dec 3, 2003
Other Teams

The Hippie said:
No, it doesn't. If a pass is incomplete, the ball then comes back to the point where the ball was snapped. With a punt, the ball is dead where the play ends after any return, or if it goes out of bounds or into the end zone.

OOPS. How the F*** did I miss that one. Just call Mr Idiot. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rocket111

Debutant
Suspended
Jun 3, 2004
sa
Other Teams
geelong
Re: Ben Graham, how is he going.

Yer thast right i am. i got a contratc from the packers for 4 million so i rule

tayls, he hasn't been sent to Europe which is a good sign for him.

He is currently competing against Micor Knorr who also can kick a monster if he gets onto them. Unless they sign a free agent soon, it appears it will be between Graham and Knorr. Both will probably get a run in the preseason games.

Going by the reaction of Jets fans, Graham would be their preferred option.

Sep 10, 2004
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Derby County FC

JeffDunne said:
tayls, he hasn't been sent to Europe which is a good sign for him.

He is currently competing against Micor Knorr who also can kick a monster if he gets onto them. Unless they sign a free agent soon, it appears it will be between Graham and Knorr. Both will probably get a run in the preseason games.

Going by the reaction of Jets fans, Graham would be their preferred option.

good to see his going well, ottens is another story

LoneStar

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2004
30.02° N x 95.15° W
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Broncos

rocket111 said:
Yer thast right i am. i got a contratc from the packers for 4 million so i rule
Spend some of that money on a tutor and work on that spelling, Ben! You also need to lay off the Jack Daniels, mate. That's bourbon in the square bottle, not American beer, and it kicks a might harder than beer, especially those American light beers!
Head down to the shop on the corner with all the crack heads sitting in front drinking something called malt liquor. Don't buy any crack from these guys or malt liquor from anyone! This shop is called 7-11 and is run by a Pakistani or Indian clerk that will make you feel right at home. Here you'll find the familiar Foster's logo on 740 ml cans that the Hindu or Muslim gentleman keeps in the refridgerator. Buy a few of these and you'll think you're back in Geelong in no time. Foster's will treat you better than the bourbon, Ben, and probably improve your spelling, as well.
Good luck in Green Bay! I hadn't heard you were headed up there. Take your jacket, mate. I heard there's an occasional chill off the lake up there.

RYZA!

Debutant
Jan 18, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manutd,LALakers,Eagles

there was and Article on Foxsports.com.au today saying that he may not get in

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC

Former Cat no Jets shoo-in
By Chris Lines (FOX SPORT'S)
March 8, 2005

FORMER Geelong AFL captain Ben Graham is rated only a "long-shot" to become a professional punter with the New York Jets, according to Jets' special teams coach Ron Westhoff.

Westhoff, a 23-year veteran of NFL coaching, said Graham had the attitude and raw skills to make it with the Jets but was far from guaranteed of getting on the team's roster for 2005.

Graham, 31, quit Geelong at the end of the 2004 season to pursue a long-considered career as a punter in the NFL, hoping to cash in on his reputation as one of the biggest kicks in the AFL.

However Westhoff has provided a reality check for Graham and those here in Australia who expected him to become the next Darren Bennett.

"To be honest with you, in my opinion, Ben is a talented long shot, because he's a long shot right now," Westhoff told Melbourne radio.

"But it's worth it, because he has so much ability.

"Now the kicking that he does with Australian Rules and our punting are two very different things.

"But if I'm going to chance on someone - a long shot - it'd be a guy like this, so we're going to give him a look and see what happens."

The Jets had a dire punting year in 2004, and have since signed Micah Knorr from the Denver Broncos while bringing Graham in as a project player.

Westhoff said "this isn't a guaranteed deal", instead Graham will have to prove his worth in a Jets mini-camp in May and then further testing in June.

"We'll have a pretty good feel by then," Westhoff said.

"We won't waste his time, and I won't let him waste ours.

"He's going to have to come in here and prove that he can handle this.

"We'll find out fairly quickly, and he'll know if this will be for real.

"If he is, this could be interesting to see what he can do, because he's got a powerful leg, and he could be a guy that could be a punter in our league."

Graham's technique was so raw he was not even ready to participate even in the development league of NFL Europe.

"He needs way more than NFL Europe," Westhoff said.

"He has a lot of work ahead of him.

"He's like the golfer that's trying to get on the PGA Tour - he's not ready for the mini-tour, he's ready for the driving range."

The Jets were considering putting him on the practice squad - akin to the AFL rookie list - despite being only a project player.

Westhoff was impressed with the attitude Graham had shown in early try-outs, even when told the odds were against him making it in the NFL.

"He is very much a competitor," Westhoff said.

"He has a great deal of confidence in himself, and I think he believes that if he goes through this process, he'll do it."

Bennett, who played in the AFL with Melbourne and West Coast, has spent 10 years in the NFL with San Diego and Minnesota and has twice played in the Pro Bowl.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

GeeCat said:
Former Cat no Jets shoo-in
By Chris Lines (FOX SPORT'S)
March 8, 2005

FORMER Geelong AFL captain Ben Graham is rated only a "long-shot" to become a professional punter with the New York Jets, according to Jets' special teams coach Ron Westhoff.

Westhoff, a 23-year veteran of NFL coaching, said Graham had the attitude and raw skills to make it with the Jets but was far from guaranteed of getting on the team's roster for 2005.

Graham, 31, quit Geelong at the end of the 2004 season to pursue a long-considered career as a punter in the NFL, hoping to cash in on his reputation as one of the biggest kicks in the AFL.

However Westhoff has provided a reality check for Graham and those here in Australia who expected him to become the next Darren Bennett.

"To be honest with you, in my opinion, Ben is a talented long shot, because he's a long shot right now," Westhoff told Melbourne radio.

"But it's worth it, because he has so much ability.

"Now the kicking that he does with Australian Rules and our punting are two very different things.

"But if I'm going to chance on someone - a long shot - it'd be a guy like this, so we're going to give him a look and see what happens."

The Jets had a dire punting year in 2004, and have since signed Micah Knorr from the Denver Broncos while bringing Graham in as a project player.

Westhoff said "this isn't a guaranteed deal", instead Graham will have to prove his worth in a Jets mini-camp in May and then further testing in June.

"We'll have a pretty good feel by then," Westhoff said.

"We won't waste his time, and I won't let him waste ours.

"He's going to have to come in here and prove that he can handle this.

"We'll find out fairly quickly, and he'll know if this will be for real.

"If he is, this could be interesting to see what he can do, because he's got a powerful leg, and he could be a guy that could be a punter in our league."

Graham's technique was so raw he was not even ready to participate even in the development league of NFL Europe.

"He needs way more than NFL Europe," Westhoff said.

"He has a lot of work ahead of him.

"He's like the golfer that's trying to get on the PGA Tour - he's not ready for the mini-tour, he's ready for the driving range."

The Jets were considering putting him on the practice squad - akin to the AFL rookie list - despite being only a project player.

Westhoff was impressed with the attitude Graham had shown in early try-outs, even when told the odds were against him making it in the NFL.

"He is very much a competitor," Westhoff said.

"He has a great deal of confidence in himself, and I think he believes that if he goes through this process, he'll do it."

Bennett, who played in the AFL with Melbourne and West Coast, has spent 10 years in the NFL with San Diego and Minnesota and has twice played in the Pro Bowl.

Should i book you a ticket home Ben??

That Westhoff guy is making punting sound like ROCKET science. :rolleyes: If the Jets pass up on Benny, then I wouldn't be surprised if other teams trial him. Not over by a long shot. On the flipside, nobody is going to pump anybody's tyres up too much and with the project player designation, what more do you want them to say ? I would of thought that NFL Europe would of been the way to go.

yehrighto

Cancelled
Apr 3, 2005
Other Teams
Coast
Matt McBriar

who has some information on matty, hes from melbourne and was punting for dallas cowboys. a great export and possibly the next darren bennet...

Back