NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Australian who could make an NFL roster this off-season is Adrian Thomas.

544-388x230.jpg
610x.jpg

Towering Adrian Thomas is on the verge of fulfilling his NFL dream after putting his hand up for the draft in April.

The former Gymea Technology High School student has spent the past five years playing for University of Hawaii.

Now with his college football stint over, the Right Guard has set his sights on joining the likes of Darren Bennett, Colin Ridgway, and Matt McBriar as a handful of Australian who have cracked into professional NFL setup.

"The experience was great and I had a lot of great times on and off the field," Thomas, 23, said.

"I met a lot of great people and football-wise it was a great experience. We won a couple of championships and went to the bowl."

His Hawaiian stint ended with a 62-35 loss against University of Tulsa in a Hawaii Bowl game in front of almost 50,000 people at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu on Christmas Eve.

Thomas has spent the past week back in Sutherland Shire before heading to the US.

He will undergo extensive training camps in Arizona or California.

"I'm going to train in mainland US," Thomas, formerly of Bangor, said. "You go there and there are a bunch of scouts and NFL coaches."

"If you perform well they'll look at your highlights and then you have to wait and see if you are drafted."

If things do not go Thomas' way in the draft, he hopes to be picked up on the free-agency list.

"If not there are other leagues like Arena football," Thomas said.

"There is also the United Football League, which is like a feeder league for the NFL."

Thomas started playing at 13, for Sutherland Seahawks.

Jets add Australian rugby player to 53-man roster, cut Jason Hill

haydensmith.jpg

When the Jets signed Australian rugby player Hayden Smith six months ago, he looked like he had the raw athletic talent to play in the NFL, but still had a lot of work to do before he’d be ready to play in an NFL game. Apparently through six months of minicamps, training camp and time on the practice squad, Smith has done that work.

The Jets announced today that they’ve brought Smith up from their practice squad to the 53-man roster.

In addition to playing professional rugby, the 6-foot-6, 265-pound Smith is a former basketball player. As a football player, he has said he models himself after Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski.

To play in the NFL would undoubtedly be the pinnacle of my career,” Smith said early this year, when he was first exploring the possibility of playing American football. “I will do whatever it takes to make my dream a reality.”

Now it is a reality: He’s an NFL player. The fact that the Jets made the move today strongly suggests that tight end Jeff Cumberland, who is listed as questionable on this week’s injury report, will not be able to play, and Smith is likely to be active for Sunday’s game against the Dolphins.

To make room on the 53-man roster for Smith, the Jets released receiver Jason Hill.

He is also in the best position ( other than a special teams spot ) to force his way in IMO. TE is one of those possies that is a bit more easier to play providing you can block and i am guessing Smith can! You don't need the over abundance of speed that nearly every other position requires or you do not even got looked at and you also don't need to weigh 300+pds to play on defensive and offensive lines etc.

Good luck to him and hope he makes it as the Aussie tenacity inside him will be firing on all cylinders. :thumbsu:

Another article about Smith, fairly talented individual;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...or-new-york-jets/story-e6frfglf-1226504791610

Raised in Sydney's west, Smith was a talented junior basketballer who regularly trained with the Sydney Kings.

Smith played US college basketball in Denver as a power forward for three years, but rough plans to pursue a career in the NBL were scuttled when the Kings folded in.

Looking for a way to keep fit, Smith began playing rugby for his college and was immediately snapped up as a prospect.

Smith, who stands at 1.98m and weighs in at 120kg, played for US universities as a lock and after five games was called into the US Eagles national team.

The giant forward won a professional contract with UK team Saracens and last year played against the Wallabies in Wellington at 2011 Rugby World Cup.

How'd he go? I only saw his first snap, he went out on a route across the middle and Sanchez targeted some other WR for an incompletion. But anyone who watched the whole game, how many snaps did he get? Make any receptions or key blocks?

Was used as a decoy. No receptions.

To be honest, he's done well just to make the active roster, given he's played no organised football in his life until this season. The Jets are hoping to hit a home run with Smith in the same fashion that the Chargers hit a home run with Antonio Gates, but Smith is a long long way from being the finished product.

Anyone else watching 'Aussies abroad' on ESPN?, just started, looks ok, Sav, Ben Graham and Darren Bennett featured.

Off the top of my head, currently in the NFL:

Mat McBriar (P) - Philly
Sav Rocca (P) - Washington
Hayden Smith (TE) - Jets

Ben Graham was on the Detroit roster for a few games this season but was cut after suffering a calf injury and had his contract paid out with an injury settlement by Detroit.

In terms of college players, I'm aware of the following currently in the NCAA:

Adam Gotsis (DL) - Georgia Tech
Jesse Williams (DL) - Alabama
Brad Wing (P) - LSU
Scott Harding (WR/KR/P) - Hawaii
Alex Dunnachie (P) - Hawaii
Blake Muir (OL) - Hawaii

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently in the NFL

Brad Wing - Punter, New York Giants
Jordan Berry - Punter, Pittsburgh Steelers
Adam Gotsis - Defensive Linemam, Denver Broncos

Are there any others ?

Are there any playing college football ?

Sam Irwin-Hills - punter/ kicker

Formerly with the Colts

Now with the Dallas Cowboys.

Anyone know if he will make the final roster ?

From The Roar website

2017 - Made the Roster
Adam Gotsis: Defensive Tackle – Denver Broncos
Lachlan Edwards: Punter – New York Jets
Jordan Berry: Punter – Pittsburgh Steelers (brother played for Essendon VFL team this season)
Brad Wing: Punter – NY Giants

Those who didnt make it in 2017

Sam Irwin-Hill (punter) was released by the Dallas Cowboys
Cameron Johnston (Punter) - released by Philadelphia Eagles .
David Yankey (Offensive Linesmen)- Carolina Panthers moved him onto the injured reserves list.
Blake Muir (Offensive Guard) - cut by Indianapolis Colts .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back