Aussies World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end, just not quite the quality needed.
Still we have played in the right spirit.

Here comes Qatar

Its such a flat feeling. World Cups don't come up very often and I can't help but feel we've blown a very good chance to advance to the next round this tournament.

Thanks for your career Timmy! You're a legend.

We did. No doubt. Peru took their (very few) opportunities. And we didn't take ours. We lack a quality striker. But outside of that we played the game in the right spirit the whole tournament and qualifying campaign. We played with intent to win. I'm gutted, sad and proud all in one confusing package right now.

I reckon we gave a fair account of ourselves ...

... let’s not forget that we barely qualified. And the national coach has been working with this group for what, four months?

We’ve defended reasonably well this World Cup and had much more than our fair share of controlled play.

Apart from Cahill, and Jedinak kicking from the spot we’ve always struggled to score at this level.

Always.

Even Viduka and Kewell could never replicate their club form when they played for the national team.

I reckon we gave a fair account of ourselves ...

... let’s not forget that we barely qualified. And the national coach has been working with this group for what, four months?

We’ve defended reasonably well this World Cup and had much more than our fair share of controlled play.

Apart from Cahill, and Jedinak kicking from the spot we’ve always struggled to score at this level.

Always.

Even Viduka and Kewell could never replicate their club form when they played for the national team.

To be fair, Kewell did as 19 year old, but by about 24 injuries were already affecting him.

Rogic, Juric and Leckie.
The celibate rifles.
The day they score a goal at the highest level is the day I win the lotto.
What’s with Irvine, what ever happened to Luongo. Least he had creativity.
Irvine is dull as.
Really surprised Luongo didn't get a single minute in the World Cup.

Its such a flat feeling. World Cups don't come up very often and I can't help but feel we've blown a very good chance to advance to the next round this tournament.

Thanks for your career Timmy! You're a legend.

Should have nabbed a point against France. That would have changed everything. I’m also in the “Bert should have brought Cahill on from the start of the matches” camp. Tonight he showed how dangerous he could be in limited time. He’s really our only finisher.

To be fair, Kewell did as 19 year old, but by about 24 injuries were already affecting him.

IIRC We failed to qualify when Kewell was 19?

Wasn’t that the infamous 2:2 qualifier at the MCG v Iran 1998?

IIRC We failed to qualify when Kewell was 19?

Wasn’t that the infamous 2:2 qualifier at the MCG v Iran 1998?

Yeah, and he scored that sizzling goal in Iran to get us in the box seat. Then back at the g the serial pest tore the netting, ruined the flow and our manager failed to bring on a defender when we were 2-0 up with about 15 mins to go.

Have you seen their bench.. it's not about depth.. it's like an All Australian side for eg or a squad of 30 of the best AFL players.. with Sidebottom Pendlebury and the like sitting on the pine. Interchanging Gawn for Grundy.

There is no second string French side.

And besides those who are sitting on the bench would love a gig in the final stages of the tournament.. so expect every single one of them to perform.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blow-for-socceroos-as-france-stars-rested-for-denmark-match

They didn’t perform.

Me too. The Dutch make great coaches but they tend toward conservatism. They’re not risk takers.

We had five goals scored against us this World Cup. Not sure we were too conservative?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s about player selection up front and formation. Nabbout is a good trier, but he was always the Blair of the Socceroos.

Pretty said that our Nation Striker was just a Player from the A-League

I thought the defence was the least of our problems. If you look at the goals that were scored against us I'd count 3 as being fairly unlucky. Of course there were mistakes that the defence made that led to those opportunities being created but I definitely think that what is happening further up the field is of far greater concern to us at the moment.

2 - 0 until Cahil gets a crack. Can you believe that Dutch w@#%^!?
Cahill is too old now.

Time stops for nobody.

Unfortunately we just don’t have the requisite talent at this time to mount a serious enough challenge.

Thought Bert V M did as well as he could of for a few months gig.

Nice of Ang to jump on to the money train

Cahill is too old now.

Time stops for nobody.

Unfortunately we just don’t have the requisite talent at this time to mount a serious enough challenge.

Thought Bert V M did as well as he could of for a few months gig.

Nice of Ang to jump on to the money train

Yet as soon as he and Arzani came on, we looked far more dangerous.
I don't care how old he is.... In all 3 games, we were competitive and found ourselves in good positions to score.
Yet, on each ocassion, the players with the talent to find the back of the net were benched.

Bert VM was trash. He had no idea how to utilise that team and only looked to attack once we were 2-0 down in the 3rd game.

Yet as soon as he and Arzani came on, we looked far more dangerous.
I don't care how old he is.... In all 3 games, we were competitive and found ourselves in good positions to score.
Yet, on each ocassion, the players with the talent to find the back of the net were benched.

Bert VM was trash. He had no idea how to utilise that team and only looked to attack once we were 2-0 down in the 3rd game.

To be fair to Bert, he had how many games to get the team in line? Forcing Postecoglou out was a huge mistake and the repercussions shouldn't be levelled at van Marwijk. The responsibility for this failure has to go straight to FFA.

To be fair to Bert, he had how many games to get the team in line? Forcing Postecoglou out was a huge mistake and the repercussions shouldn't be levelled at van Marwijk. The responsibility for this failure has to go straight to FFA.

Hey I'm not laying all the blame at Bert's feet.
There's plenty of blame to go around.

Having said that, the players actually seemed fairly well drilled and did everything well except find the back of the net.
It was Bert's responsibility to make appropriate substitutions to make that happen and he didn't.
As Craig Foster said post match, it was "gutless".

2 - 0 until Cahil gets a crack. Can you believe that Dutch w@#%^!?

Well thanks to Ange Quitting we did not have someone there long enough to know what he was Doing to understand what best to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back