News Austin Robertson Jnr. joins West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with this wording?

This article sounds like an old school article which doesn't cater for the modern verbal ******y.

It hearkens back to the days of the old game reviews.

Though the word proficiency is just utterly horrible and should be banned.
Just piss it off please Jootube.

Hopefully all clubs follow.
I think adding unnecessary adverbs only dilutes the "quality" of Hagdorn's article.
Did we need to know that Robertson's run-up was "athletic and rhythmic"? Probably not.
Is there a more accurate, and simple way of saying "eradicate a decline in scoring proficiency"? Almost certainly.

I used to watch him play : revealing my age here as probably being older than Keys. He was a sensational footballer; one that I used to hate, simply because he was so good, and always did damage to my team, the mighty royals. he would kick goals from anywhere, and from a great distance out too.
Yep "Pantyhose" was a great kick on goal. Always got his kicks from leading straight down the ground marking in front of his body. Could not take a pack mark, did not chase or tackle and if the ball went to ground he was pretty well hopeless. Having said this, with the rules favouring the forwards these days i.e. can't knock away arms etc.. he would probably kick a lot more than he did.

Last edited:
He was a delight to watch when he used to play for Subiaco, and certainly knew how to get it through the big sticks. I remember going to watch him play when Subi played Sth Fremantle (the team I used to follow in the WAFL) long before the Eagles entered the VFL/AFL.
Austin Robertson writes an article every week in the "Post" on sport in general. Think he has a leaning towards Freo, but perhaps now he's working at the Eagles, he may change his colours;)!!

I used to watch him play : revealing my age here as probably being older than Keys. He was a sensational footballer; one that I used to hate, simply because he was so good, and always did damage to my team, the mighty royals. he would kick goals from anywhere, and from a great distance out too.

Kicked 157 goals one year and under immense pressure from opposition players that used to belt the bejesus out of him on a weekly basis , best exponent of the drop punt I've seen
Did it pretty simple ran in a straight line towards the goals and kicked it straight
I once watched when Subi played Claremont , Wayne Reynolds was playing on him and Peter Hines was playing in the back pocket both were 6'4" and had knuckles that dragged on the ground ,they absolutely flogged him all day
He still kicked 6

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never saw Austin Robertson play

Just saying

From memory he has worked at West Coast as an advisor before but that was some time ago now

Goal Kicking is not complicated and hence why they are asking for advice from someone who knows it isn't. Run in a straight line and kick it over the goal umpires head. Unfortunately the modern players skill level is sub par and these things like goal kicking seem to be such a big issue for them.

I think adding unnecessary adverbs only dilutes the "quality" of Hagdorn's article.
Did we need to know that Robertson's run-up was "athletic and rhythmic"? Probably not.
Is there a more accurate, and simple way of saying "eradicate a decline in scoring proficiency"? Almost certainly.

To your first point.
That wording is unnecessary but it would've been understood and accepted by his kind back in the day.

It's the sort of phraseology that was commonplace in say the 1930's.

To your 2nd point, absolutely there is. (Appointed to fix the goal-kicking issues at West Coast.)

What's wrong with this wording?

This article sounds like an old school article which doesn't cater for the modern verbal ******y.

It hearkens back to the days of the old game reviews.

Though the word proficiency is just utterly horrible and should be banned.
Just piss it off please Jootube.

Hopefully all clubs follow.
I too sincerely believe that the aforementioned article is enormously relevant, refreshingly elementary and fiendishly clever in its intricacies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats... it's only taken him 43 years to get a coaching job after retirement.

On his technique though you don't see many kick like him. He sort of holds under the ball and just lets it drop from quite a height whereas most good kicks guide the ball down. Interesting to see if the millenials have any rapport with him at all!!

Congrats... it's only taken him 43 years to get a coaching job after retirement.

On his technique though you don't see many kick like him. He sort of holds under the ball and just lets it drop from quite a height whereas most good kicks guide the ball down. Interesting to see if the millenials have any rapport with him at all!!

He kept it simple - run in a straight line at the goals and it's a big chance to go straight , unlike a lot of players these days that don't run in a straight line , the proofs in the results

Yep "Pantyhose" was a great kick on goal. Always got his kicks from leading straight down the ground marking in front of his body. Could not take a pack mark, did not chase or tackle and if the ball went to ground he was pretty well hopeless. Having said this, with the rules favouring the forwards these days i.e. can't knock away arms etc.. he would probably kick a lot more than he did.

Ocker earnt every goal he kicked ,most fullbacks that played on him roughed him up big time but he was still able to focus and kick the big tally of goals gotta give credit where it's due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back