Fact Austin Robertson's career

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn’t thought of that, but West Perth in Farmer’s four years really did have a grand on ball division with those players. The way the played in 1968 and 1969 – losing just ten games out of 46 – is easily overlooked amidst Perth’s premiership hat-trick, and the fact that the Cardinals were so lacking in depth that when injuries did hit them in 1970 they lost eleven matches out of twenty-one. I do recall, if not perfectly, some really brilliant patches from the 1969 Grand Final which I have on DVD but have not watched more than once, and that being a long time ago.
As I recall ,Perth did not have a dominant ruck,Cable and the centreline compensated.

He did the same at Fitzroy...phenomenal mark,and not all that tall.
I never saw Coleman or John Gerovich from South Fremantle but I saw most of Laurie's West Perth career and of course bits and pieces of other high flyers. Richards was the best.

In 1968 I worked with Laurie in the Commonwealth Bank, Bicton.
Blonde hair, perfect build, great guy, quiet aura of confidence, superstar footballer.
There was an attractive blonde girl who used to come into the bank sometimes, I'm sure just to look at Laurie.
She was clearly besotted with him and the way she looked at him was how I would've liked a girl (any girl) to look at me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back