Australia’s Confederations Cup bid the help of the four major football codes

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia and New Zealand are in different conflagrations so FIFA would not permit the sharing of matches. If any such plan were struck up it would be shot down in flames.

Good point. On a slightly different topic, there has been some talk of NZ eventually jumping into Asia like Australia did (or the entire OFC being absorbed into Asia). While it won't happen before the 2018 WC (as qualification has already started), it 'could' potentially happen before the 2022 WC.

They build a brand spanking new RECTANGULAR stadium in Melbourne, just before bidding for the World Cup, and don't make it the necessary 40k?

...and now will bitch about being unable to use the OVAL stadiums, which are designed for the more popular sport in this city?

:drunk:

"They"? Assuming you are referring to the FFA here (going off the second part of your comment).

You do realise AAMI Park was built and is owned by the Victorian Government right? The FFA didn't build it, nor do they own it in any sense of the word.

$35 billion ....really?

I recall looking up studies on the economic impact of major sporting events when the soccer WC cup bid was on.

The general conclusion as I recall was that they were generally a drain on the countries hosting them as the tourists did not arrive in the predicted numbers and they didn't spend the dollars forecast, also costs were higher too.

Would be interested in reading that study if you have a link mate - would seemingly contradict this one:

Ever wondered what the World Cup is worth? When Italian sculptor Silvio Gazzaniga designed the current trophy in 1971, it was worth US$50,000. Now the trophy is estimated to be worth US$10m. The World Cup is, however, worth much more than two human figures cast in 18 carat gold.

The way nations battle to put on the tournament implies there is considerable worth to a country in hosting football’s biggest competition. Commonly used estimates indicated the past three World Cups would generate a positive economic impact of US$9 billion (Japan and South Korea in 2002); US$12 billion (Germany in 2006) and US$5 billion (South Africa in 2010).

For this year’s tournament in Brazil, various forecasters have identified the positive economic impact could range from US$3 billion to US$14 billion.

Positive reports suggest the tournament would add nearly US$30 billion to Brazil’s GDP between 2010 and 2014, generating 3.63m jobs per year and raising an additional US$8 billion in tax revenues. FIFA’s showcase event may draw an additional 3.7m tourists the country, each of whom will spend an average of US$2,488.

http://www.economywatch.com/features/economic-impact-brazil-world-cup.16-06.html

Right back at you...
Coates’s central claim:

Despite bid organizers’ claims, the World Cup won’t be a boon for the American economy; in fact, it will likely cost the United States billions of dollars in losteconomic impact. For example, economic estimates in support of the 1994 U.S. World Cup were later shown by economists to have been off by up to $14 billion. Far from having a positive economic impact, the last World Cup we hosted, a so-called major success, had a negative impact on the average U.S. host city of $712 million. Yet no one is discussing these figures despite the current economic troubles we face. … Few analysts who aren’t in the employ of the event boosters have ever found such events to pay for themselves in a purely dollars and cents view.

The recently completed South Africa World Cup is hardly an exception, with the bulk of the trouble lying in the gap between optimistic projected costs and actual costs:

The proposed budget for the 2010 games was about $225 million for stadiums and $421 million overall. Expenses have far exceeded those numbers. Reported stadium expenses jumped from the planned level of $225 million to $2.13 billion, and overall expenses jumped similarly from $421 million to over $5 billion.

http://freakonomics.com/2010/07/19/should-the-u-s-really-try-to-host-another-world-cup/

The obvious flag with this article is that it's referring to the US' perspective of the 1994 World Cup (over 20 years old past now which they hosted). As the above article I posted mentions, more recent world cups have been financially beneficial for their host nations.

Also, for the the bit about South Africa and the economic impact of hosting the tournament, thought this was an interesting read...

Advisory firm Grant Thornton recently did a study on the World Cup’s impact. Its general conclusion is that hosting the tournament was money well spent.

For South Africa, one of the greatest benefits was the upgrading of its infrastructure. Besides the building of new stadiums, the government improved national roads and airports. It also invested in public transport like the Gautrain and rapid bus transport systems. ICT upgrades included over 128,000 kilometres of new fibre installed across the country.

“Improvements such as these offer huge benefits to people and they give great support infrastructure to underpin economic and tourism growth,” said Gillian Saunders, head of advisory services at Grant Thornton.

Much of the short-term economic gains from the World Cup came before the first kick-off whistle as the government spent billions on infrastructure, benefitting construction firms and creating employment. “The most important of these effects was the fact that preparing for the tournament helped boost economic activity in South Africa and muted the effects of the recession in other parts of the world. In aggregate, the preparations for the World Cup helped offset some of the weakness in the South African economy and provided an infrastructure boost that will remain in place long after the event,” wrote economist Nouriel Roubini in an article for Forbes.

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/the-2010-world-cup-and-what-it-meant-for-africa/10616/

Seriously guys its a 2 maybe 3 week tournament.

We are acting like it will kill the season due to length. Remind me again how long the cricket world cup is delaying this season?

This.

I read through this thread from the start and honestly it just comes across as faux outrage/opposition simply because it's not AFL (or perhaps because it's 'soccer', which let's be honest, hasn't exactly had the best relationship with the AFL in recent memory). I enjoy both codes immensely so it's always painful to see these 'code war' articles come up.

At the end of the day, its a 16 game tournament played over 15 days. It's hardly going to bring the sporting landscape in Australia to a standstill.

Besides, more importantly nothing has been decided yet - all this outrage and angst when it's all just a possibility at this stage, nothing more. There's been no (at least from that article) official comments or statements made by any of the major codes, the Federal government or even FIFA (in regards to Ausstralia being the host) on the subject.

I also don't see why they couldn't do it with 4 stadiums (assume 1 in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and maybe Perth/Adelaide). Brazil had 6 stadiums (but that was probably by design to allow each of the venues (a host city for one of the WC groups) to have a trial run. South Africa 2009 used 4 venues, Germany 2005 had 5. As Australia isn't hosting the WC (and would be doing FIFA a favour in the process by hosting this), I don't see why they'd object to 4 stadiums.

Would be interested in reading that study if you have a link mate - would seemingly contradict this one:

Ever wondered what the World Cup is worth? When Italian sculptor Silvio Gazzaniga designed the current trophy in 1971, it was worth US$50,000. Now the trophy is estimated to be worth US$10m. The World Cup is, however, worth much more than two human figures cast in 18 carat gold.

The way nations battle to put on the tournament implies there is considerable worth to a country in hosting football’s biggest competition. Commonly used estimates indicated the past three World Cups would generate a positive economic impact of US$9 billion (Japan and South Korea in 2002); US$12 billion (Germany in 2006) and US$5 billion (South Africa in 2010).

For this year’s tournament in Brazil, various forecasters have identified the positive economic impact could range from US$3 billion to US$14 billion.

Positive reports suggest the tournament would add nearly US$30 billion to Brazil’s GDP between 2010 and 2014, generating 3.63m jobs per year and raising an additional US$8 billion in tax revenues. FIFA’s showcase event may draw an additional 3.7m tourists the country, each of whom will spend an average of US$2,488.

http://www.economywatch.com/features/economic-impact-brazil-world-cup.16-06.html

The obvious flag with this article is that it's referring to the US' perspective of the 1994 World Cup (over 20 years old past now which they hosted). As the above article I posted mentions, more recent world cups have been financially beneficial for their host nations.

Also, for the the bit about South Africa and the economic impact of hosting the tournament, thought this was an interesting read...

Advisory firm Grant Thornton recently did a study on the World Cup’s impact. Its general conclusion is that hosting the tournament was money well spent.

For South Africa, one of the greatest benefits was the upgrading of its infrastructure. Besides the building of new stadiums, the government improved national roads and airports. It also invested in public transport like the Gautrain and rapid bus transport systems. ICT upgrades included over 128,000 kilometres of new fibre installed across the country.

“Improvements such as these offer huge benefits to people and they give great support infrastructure to underpin economic and tourism growth,” said Gillian Saunders, head of advisory services at Grant Thornton.

Much of the short-term economic gains from the World Cup came before the first kick-off whistle as the government spent billions on infrastructure, benefitting construction firms and creating employment. “The most important of these effects was the fact that preparing for the tournament helped boost economic activity in South Africa and muted the effects of the recession in other parts of the world. In aggregate, the preparations for the World Cup helped offset some of the weakness in the South African economy and provided an infrastructure boost that will remain in place long after the event,” wrote economist Nouriel Roubini in an article for Forbes.

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/the-2010-world-cup-and-what-it-meant-for-africa/10616/

If you can point me to the bigfooty soccer WC board I'll have a look for the articles in my old posts. Stefan Szymanski was the sports economist I was thinking of and his book Soccernomics gets a mention in the article I linked to earlier.

http://freakonomics.com/2010/07/19/should-the-u-s-really-try-to-host-another-world-cup/

Here are Stefan Szymanski's thoughts on the 2014 soccer WC...

Brazil’s government spent years promising that the World Cup would bring an economic bonanza. But, says Stefan Szymanski, economics professor at the University of Michigan, with whom I wrote Soccernomics, “A substantial, well-researched academic literature shows that if anything the reverse is true: hosting big sporting events is an economic burden.” Brazil spent about $11bn on new stadiums. About half of them are already white elephants. It would have been economically smarter to flush that sum down the toilet, because then at least the country wouldn’t need to spend millions maintaining pointless stadiums. Brazilians should be grateful their government was too incompetent to build most of the planned infrastructure. Projects to plonk new airport terminals in towns that didn’t need them, just for a month of football, were thankfully never executed.

There is a feel good factor in Brazil post soccer WC but they love soccer. I don't and a lot of other Australians don't either.

Seriously guys its a 2 maybe 3 week tournament.

We are acting like it will kill the season due to length. Remind me again how long the cricket world cup is delaying this season?

How about FIFA recognise Australian conditions and the local professional leagues and discard the exclusivity conditions. After all there a club professional games being played at the MCG this year that don't require the place to be locked up for 4 weeks prior. I dare say Real Madrid has more soccer talent than some of the confederations cup nations.

How about FIFA recognise Australian conditions and the local professional leagues and discard the exclusivity conditions. After all there a club professional games being played at the MCG this year that don't require the place to be locked up for 4 weeks prior. I dare say Real Madrid has more soccer talent than some of the confederations cup nations.

How about the AFL accept it the same as the Cricket World cup?
Once again.

Its a 15 day tournament!!! Much shorter than the cricket cup and will affect the AFL less..

But oh wait. The Sky is falling for Aussie Rules. I forgot... :rolleyes:

While there could be a potential upsetting of fans of the other codes due to the likely disruptions, its probably worth mentioning that not everyone in the country necessarily follows sport and there may well be plenty of non-sports affiliated people who would like to see Australia play host.

What about people involved in the tourism, retail and hospitality industries for example? Hosting would mean employment and money for workers and business owners alike.

Even before getting to the hosting stage, chances are there would need to be a lot of pre-tournament work completed (particularly if stadiums need to be renovated/expanded or existing infrastructure needs updating) so you'd likely seen job creation in the construction industries too as well as improvements to things like roads and public transport to ensure they are up to scratch (as a regular commuter for work, I'd love to see Melbourne sort out its train system lol).

Why would there be public transport upgrades in Melbourne? Last I looked all the venues were in the city, and all the hotels were in the city :confused:

Grand prix is a great example. Big international event. Massive exposure. Brings in millions apparently. Name the last infrastructure project associated with the GP?

Once again.

Its a 15 day tournament!!! Much shorter than the cricket cup and will affect the AFL less..

The cricket WC is delaying the season by a week, that's hardly the same as taking out 4 weeks mid-season.

FIFA required the stadiums are clear well before games so its not 15 days and you should know that.

Once again.

The sky is not falling.
  1. Australia will never get it anyway - but I guess FFA learnt nothing with their last debacle.
  2. I just don't care for it and would rather go to the MCG to watch AFL.

The cricket WC is delaying the season by a week, that's hardly the same as taking out 4 weeks mid-season.

FIFA required the stadiums are clear well before games so its not 15 days and you should know that.

That's for the world cup, not the confed cup.

Either way a 4 week midseason break. Hmmm isn't that what players have been screaming after? Especially the NRL (who this would mostly effect)

The sky is not falling.
  1. Australia will never get it anyway - but I guess FFA learnt nothing with their last debacle.
  2. I just don't care for it and would rather go to the MCG to watch AFL.

Not according to the numerous post on here and threads elsewhere.

1. You never know. The Sydney 2000 games we were never going to get. China was just to big. But.....
2. Fair enough. You don't like the game. Your choice.

That's for the world cup, not the confed cup.

Either way a 4 week midseason break. Hmmm isn't that what players have been screaming after? Especially the NRL (who this would mostly effect)

If Real Madrid can play at the MCG a few days after an AFL game why can't Chile or Iraq or whoever is in the confed cup?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet true all the same.

You are equalling a friendly to a FIFA top grade competition, not only that but you have no idea who would play (I know you don't care, but if you don't how would you know)

I dare say Real Madrid's list is worth a fair bit more than many of the confed cup lists.

You can do a knee in a trial game, if the surface is an issue then injuries can happen no matter how hard you're trying.

So what? I can do a knee crossing the street....

The point is that one is a FIFA sanctioned and endorsed tournament and the other is a club organised friendly..

There will be more tourism, tv dollars and media coverage of the confed than a friendly.

The point is that one is a FIFA sanctioned and endorsed tournament and the other is a club organised friendly..

There will be more tourism, tv dollars and media coverage of the confed than a friendly.

And?

What about the AFL's compensation?

Sorry but I'm sceptical of your comments regarding the economic impact, as are many leading sports economists.

And if FIFA have rules that's fine however the AFL and presumably the NRL have contracts with venues.

That was a sticking point last time if you recall.

Not according to the numerous post on here and threads elsewhere.

1. You never know. The Sydney 2000 games we were never going to get. China was just to big. But.....
2. Fair enough. You don't like the game. Your choice.

I do like the game.

I don't appreciate having my favourite game interrupted because FIFA monumentally stuffed something up.

I do like the game.

I don't appreciate having my favourite game interrupted because FIFA monumentally stuffed something up.
Even if they hadn't stuffed up and done the right thing and given Australia the cup, :D, then it would be interrupted twice. and the world cup is much much longer than a 15 day confed cup, which is still shorter than the cricket.

2021 is years away... Upgrade AAMI Park to 40,000, give SA money to build a Rectangle stadium here, upgrade Suncorp, play at ANZ stadium take the new stadium in Perth, or upgrade a stadium there to 40k then only one more stadium is needed. by 2021 AFL will own Etihad? they could sell that to FIFA for the month and earn a mint!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back