Australia Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia Day is approaching, but on what day should we be celebrating our National Day, January 1 the day of Federation, January 26 the day the First Fleet landed at Sydney or April 25 ANZAC Day.

None of the three.

New Years day is a celebration in it's own right
Jan 25 is okay for NSW
Apr 25 is associated with NZ so until they take their seats in parliament then that is not a true Aussie day.

So.......We need reasonable weather (s'pose impossible to forecast in Vic ;) ) therefore Oct-March.
Let's just make a day.......October the 32nd.....mmmmmmmmm.
maybe Mid November. We could build a huge memorial to Australia tracing its History and opening it on the third Friday in November 2002. Henceforth the 3rd Friday in November would be Australia day and wouldn't conflict with weekends. I think we all like an occassional long weekend.

I'd favour a late October/early November day too - at the moment all the public holidays are early in the year. Jan 26 isn't too popular with the Aboriginal population as it celebrates a day of invasion from their perspective.

I picked January 1, because it's the day all the states were official united as one, and although January 26 is an important date, I don't think we should celebrate the English landing on these shores and the massacre of innocent Aboriginals that followed. ANZAC should stay as it is.

I would like to celebrate the day we become a Republic, but that isn't going to happen in the near future, and when it does it will more than likely occur on the first day of the year.

Don't think we'd want late October/early November in Melbourne...we've already got Cup Day here and the weather's rubbish at that time of year. August please.

I like it where it is. :eek:

Don't want to put it on any other day where there is already a public holiday! (We are Australians and lazy by nature after all)

Australia Day in Perth is the best in the country and I'll always know it as one last final day of partying before its time to go back to uni/work/etc. It's a great way to wind up the summer break!

Keep it where it is. I don't want 1st January, because I don't want to celebrate our national day while I've got a hangover all morning; and think we need a separate day to remember the armed forces people who died for our country.

Australia and australia day can get s.t.u.f.f.e.d with the way we now treat people seeking a better home from war and starvation proves only one thing and that is Auatralia is no longer different from the rest of the crap in the world...we are really becoming the laughing stock of the world.

We no longer tolerate

we no longer give a jack about anyone who is not white.

stick australia day up ur rectum!!!!

???????

You're saying that you're no longer proud to be Australian because we hold assylum seekers while we work out who they are and why they want to come here? You'd have more pride in Australia if we opened the floodgates to everyone, no questions asked?

Originally posted by Bomber Spirit
???????

You're saying that you're no longer proud to be Australian because we hold assylum seekers while we work out who they are and why they want to come here? You'd have more pride in Australia if we opened the floodgates to everyone, no questions asked?

Maybe you should do a search on this topic and you'll find out that there are a lot of us who are embarrassed by our treatment of assylum seekers and don't agree with your vision for Australia.

ps. Australia Day should not be Jan 26 as it signifies the colonisation of a once proud race, and the attempted genocide which followed.

???????

If it had to be one or the other then yes I would

Just because we were fortunate and lucky enough to be born in Australia doesnt mean we bloody well own it.

We have a responsibility to welcome those seeking safe refuge.

However we now dont, so down the toilet bowl we go as far as im concerned we are all nothing but crap!!!

I can understand that most people are upset at the way the refugees have been treated, however, you should give a thought to those people who after filling out all the necessary documentation etc to come to Australia, now have to wait even longer to get here....

In regards to the Australia Day question, leave it where it is, its too late to start mucking around with it now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by iceman
I can understand that most people are upset at the way the refugees have been treated, however, you should give a thought to those people who after filling out all the necessary documentation etc to come to Australia, now have to wait even longer to get here....

In regards to the Australia Day question, leave it where it is, its too late to start mucking around with it now

It's never to late to right an injustice................never!!

Originally posted by iceman

What would be a better day? 1st January and 25th April are already taken. Do we keep it at 26th January, which has a historical significance in our history, or think of another date?
As for the other issue, maybe I went over the top the other day, but I'm still proud to be Australian and don't believe Australia is a racist country.

I voted for Jan 26, cause I am lazy and I ain't giving up my long weekend in a couple of weeks.

But people, I think we are missing the important public holiday concern here...WHY ISN'T THE MONDAY AFTER THE LAST SATURDAY IN SEPTEMBER, A HOLIDAY IN VICTORIA????? :mad:

Fair dinkum, we have an event which is almost equivalent to New Years eve, plus the Brunswick Street festival the next day, so why don't we have that Monday off.

Surely the Queen's birthday/Labour day (who cares anyway!) can be moved to accomodate it?!?!?

Just one man's opinion.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
But people, I think we are missing the important public holiday concern here...WHY ISN'T THE MONDAY AFTER THE LAST SATURDAY IN SEPTEMBER, A HOLIDAY IN VICTORIA????? :mad:

Surely the Queen's birthday/Labour day (who cares anyway!) can be moved to accomodate it?!?!?
You're making sense Figjam. Football is something unique and important to our culture (if we thought otherwise we wouldn't be on this board) and something we can all be proud of. Something that we should be celebrating.

Well Joffa, to para-phrase the words of Stan Marsh from South Park, "Australia is like a team, if you don't support it, then get out of the stadium".

We would be better off with a few less Collingwood supporters, so get your arses down to the airport

I don't think New years Day is deserving of a holiday, neither is Melbourne Cup day for a five minute horse race. There are too many public holidays for insignificant things. Show Day? Gimme a break!

Australia Day should be on January 1, to commemorate the anniversary of Federation.

Originally posted by Swanny
I love Australia Day as it is :), nothing better to sit down and have a picnic at the beach or at Bobbin Head in the sun.

I wonder if the Aboriginal people thought the same thing as they watched the first fleet sail in?

January 1 is New Year's Day. April 25 is ANZAC Day. Labour Day is chucked in somewhere, and us Vics have Melbourne Cup Day on the first Tuesday in November.

So what of Australia Day?

Leave it where it is. I see where you are coming from Frank, but if not January 26, then when? It has to be a date of signifigance, not one just conveniently placed on the calender.

If the English didn't land here on January 26, we wouldn't have a nation. Almost 204 years on, I think it would be inappropriate to move the nations national day because of an injustice done when none of us were around.

Just leave it where it is, I see no problem with it.

The Hitman

You're making sense Figjam.
Geez...I must have been drunk that day!

Originally posted by Swanny
I love Australia Day as it is :), nothing better to sit down and have a picnic at the beach or at Bobbin Head in the sun.
Firstly, I must profess complete childish hilarity at the name "Bobbin Head". :D

Australia Day for me means half a slab and a barbie, with Tripple J's Hottest 100 going off its nut. I supose that is a good Aussie way to spend Australia Day!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back