Australia has pulled out of the U19 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia have pulled out of the Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh starting on January 27 due to security concerns. Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said the decision was taken after advice from the government stated that the threat to Australian interests in Bangladesh was as high as when the senior team had pulled out of their tour in October last year.

The ICC has invited Ireland, who were runners-up in the qualifying tournament in Kuala Lumpur in October, to replace Australia in the tournament.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-under-19-world-cup-2016/content/story/958299.html

Very disappointing.

Very disapointing for all those young cricketers who have been selected to represent Australia.

As asked earlier,have any other nations pulled out?

Do the actual players have a say in this decision?

I believe other countries have expressed concern, but no others have pulled out yet.

And no, the players didn't have any say.

Sensible decision if there are any concerns, and if the host country cannot absolutely guarantee security, then the decision is easy.

The senior team were offered "presidential level" security I read (think it was here).

The senior team were offered "presidential level" security I read (think it was here).

Which wasn't enough especially with security issues in the area. It is obvious these issues haven't been sorted out yet. It is a shame, but at the end of the day these players should be felt to be 100% secure at all times. If this means pulling out so be it. The better question is why schedule the WC in Bangladesh in the first place.

Which wasn't enough especially with security issues in the area. It is obvious these issues haven't been sorted out yet. It is a shame, but at the end of the day these players should be felt to be 100% secure at all times. If this means pulling out so be it. The better question is why schedule the WC in Bangladesh in the first place.
How can presidential security not be enough?

It wasn't such a big deal pulling out of a simple bilateral tour to Bangladesh. But Australia are paying for it now. Forced to pull out of an ICC event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't such a big deal pulling out of a simple bilateral tour to Bangladesh. But Australia are paying for it now. Forced to pull out of an ICC event.

The threats are directly aimed at Australians. I'm sorry but a few security measures aren't enough. I'd rather be safe than put our players at undue risk

The intelligence they have is that Australians are a specific target - diplomatic staff's families have been sent home - Bangladesh is a no go zone for us atm - I gave no problem with following the advice of experts in the field.
If Cricket Australia ignored official intelligence advice and something did happen to these young guys this country would flip into total hysteria.

The intelligence they have is that Australians are a specific target - diplomatic staff's families have been sent home - Bangladesh is a no go zone for us atm - I gave no problem with following the advice of experts in the field.
The word intelligence and ASIO are mutually exclusive. Bangladesh has not shown that they are a major terror risk, instead this is scare mongering from the Federal government agencies hell bent on keeping people paranoid. If we had a government with half a brain we wouldn't of invaded the countries along with the USA in the first place anyway.

Disappointed to say the least because the English are still going and they would be a bigger target than us. CA = Cowards

If Cricket Australia ignored official intelligence advice and something did happen to these young guys this country would flip into total hysteria.

Rightfully so it would be beyond silly to send these players to this area.

The word intelligence and ASIO are mutually exclusive. Bangladesh has not shown that they are a major terror risk, instead this is scare mongering from the Federal government agencies hell bent on keeping people paranoid. If we had a government with half a brain we wouldn't of invaded the countries along with the USA in the first place anyway.

Disappointed to say the least because the English are still going and they would be a bigger target than us. CA = Cowards

If there is a threat in the area we shouldn't go and rightly so. That isn't being a 'coward'. That is following the correct procedure. The threats in the area haven't improved since the test series cancellation.

I don't care if they are not a major threat, if there are any threats to Australians we are not to travel.

What has the Austalian Government done - that the UK and NZ governments haven't - to piss off Bangladeshi terrorists?

Last edited:
Would be nice of ASIO and other security agencies to share that information instead of use it as an excuse to change laws to make their work lives easier.

Problem rife across the Western world since 9/11.

Presidential security doesn't mean anything. It's just some hype, especially in the sub continent.

Sri Lanka were under "presidential level security" when they got machine gunned in Pakistan, whereas India's standing security for teams is arguably better than ours.

What has the Austalian Government done - that the UK and NZ governments haven't - to piss off Bangladeshi terrorists?

Well, nearly 90% of Bangladeshis are Muslim. Join the dots...

Not saying it's right at all, but I think we know what the government's mindset is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back