Australia is OK

Remove this Banner Ad

Thornlie is a fine suburb. So is Maddington. Working class and normal.
Thornlie has some nice, newer areas as well as some dodgy ones. Maddo is a hole though, no redeeming residential or commercial features. It’s about 20kms from the city on a train line, if you could raze it and start again, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be desirable.

Thornlie has some nice, newer areas as well as some dodgy ones. Maddo is a hole though, no redeeming residential or commercial features. It’s about 20kms from the city on a train line, if you could raze it and start again, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be desirable.
Lately those newer areas have been targetted by dodgys unfortunately

I had an American roommate for a while when I was in Moscow. He was always saying that he couldn't wait to get back to the States to have some Starbucks. I'd never had it before. The first time I saw a Starbucks I was like, "Yes. I get to have Starbucks". When I tasted it, I was like.

confused.png

Last edited:
Most places don't do coffee like Australia. US and Canada are big on serving coffee in massive (throwaway, obviously) cups.

20, 24 and 30 oz coffees, gross. Most places here do 8, 12, 16 with 16 being noticeably large. Who wants to drink half a litre or more of water/milk/sugar?

Allah bless post war migration.
Probably has a lot to do with that but even getting a long black, or Americano in Italy is bloody difficult.

Often I get asked what Australian cuisine is like, and I usually say it's kind of the best of everything, we don't have any specific cuisine but we have quality options for anything. Again likely due to immigration. Australian restaurant options are very diverse.

The only 'Australian' restaurants are overseas and they are tragic.

Places here are either Italian, Chinese, Indian etc or just restaurants with no description. Our standard pub food and means your nan would make are similar to England as they were the major cultural influence but we have a bigger emphasis on fresh food, grilled food and salads owing to our produce. Nan didn't make mutton stew for the hell of it, she made it because it was cheap and London or wherever in 1920 didn't have fresh barramundi fillets for $20/kg.

Places here are either Italian, Chinese, Indian etc or just restaurants with no description. Our standard pub food and means your nan would make are similar to England as they were the major cultural influence but we have a bigger emphasis on fresh food, grilled food and salads owing to our produce. Nan didn't make mutton stew for the hell of it, she made it because it was cheap and London or wherever in 1920 didn't have fresh barramundi fillets for $20/kg.
At the time I lived in England the Aussie theme pub was at the peak of it's popularity and without exception they were ghastly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I just read a teacher is on six figures? raskolnikov are you a coordinator or something? Or maybe you sell drugs to the kids as a side hustle?

Honestly thought a normal teacher was on 70k.

I used to work hospitality and the word they called for standard Australian restaurants/dining was Modern or Contemporary Australian

So it increases every year? Makes sense being government. After 9 years you've received a 35k pay increase? What on earth are teaches complaining about salary for??

Which teachers are complaining about salary? I've only heard complaints about increasing demands on teachers and poor support/conditions. Mind you WA teacher salaries are relatively high, I think teachers in SA earn way less so perhaps they are the ones complaining.

Allah bless post war migration.
It was the Yanks in WW2 who started the coffee trend. Post war migration just provided us the quality.
yes, I did listen to a coffee podcast a couple of years ago.

The arrabica vs robusta debate is complete fabrication too. The best blends have a mixture of both as robusta provides a better crema.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back