Australia is OK

Remove this Banner Ad

This might surprise you but Greens are elected in every state.

30 HoR seats, 23 LibNat + Bob Katter. 6 Senate seats, 3 LibNat + Malcolm Roberts. That takes it to 6 LibNat and 2 One Nation out of 12.

You are spot on that Larissa Waters was elected but her party was outvoted by One Nation in the Senate. Progressive WA had the Greens 2:1 over One Nation. But by all means move there, I'm sure you'll have a gay old time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The premise is correct although the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. We've had this image of an Australian presented to us and booze is a big part of that, hell the former GG even told us to get on it. I'm as guilty of overindulgence as the next man but let's not pretend governments are really interested in doing much otherwise there would have been there would be a bipartisan response to it that would involve treating drinking as a serious health issue like smoking and taxing the bejeesus out of it.

A $50 carton of beer is about $22 in tax so let's not pretend us boozehounds are let off easy. It's not as savage as $40 (?) for a pack of smokes, but alcohol excise well and truly lines the federal coffers.

No govt is going to tax alcohol as highly as tobacco because of the flow on effects. Smokers are basically lepers now (fine with me, I hate it) but people still go to pubs and clubs and restaurants even though you can't smoke there any more. Make one glass of wine $20 and people just won't go out any more which would kill the famed services economy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back