Australia is OK

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
It’s only 45% above $180,000. Everything below that is taxed on progressively lower rates, including the tax free amount at the start. No one is losing close to 50% of their total income, it’s close to 30% overall.

An annual salary of $90,000 isn’t Scrooge McDuck rich but you sure as hell should be doing ok. If you have a second income, then you should be very ok. People are like goldfish, they grow their spending to match their income so they always feel like they are not quite there yet. But at $100,000 or more combined, you’re more likely to be in a nice house, have nice things, but your kids nice things etc. I know my wife and I are fortunate and I don’t actually begrudge tax so that society overall can have nice things.
$90k isn't a terrible wage by any stretch, but it's not as brilliant as some in here are alluding to. If I was bringing home $90k, I sure would be pleased. But it's not an elite salary.

And yeah, $100k combined or more and having a nice house in Melbourne is way off. Though, that is probably a very subjective term.

$90k isn't a terrible wage by any stretch, but it's not as brilliant as some in here are alluding to. If I was bringing home $90k, I sure would be pleased. But it's not an elite salary.

And yeah, $100k combined or more and having a nice house in Melbourne is way off. Though, that is probably a very subjective term.
Yeah iopolo was just baiting.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The marginal tax rate used to be 57%...

There's some numpties ITT. If you are lucky enough to earn $180k you've already paid $54k in tax before the 45% kicks in. Plus you pay the Medicare levy, and either the Medicare levy surcharge or a private health premium. It's almost like the more you earn you lose 30, 40, 50% of it... 🙄

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Resident tax rates 2019–20
Taxable incomeTax on this income
0 – $18,200Nil
$18,201 – $37,00019c for each $1 over $18,200
$37,001 – $90,000$3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000
$90,001 – $180,000$20,797 plus 37c for each $1 over $90,000
$180,001 and over$54,097 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Not 50% or 49%. Not even close.
45% plus 2% Medicare levy plus 1.5% Medicare surcharge is very close to 50%.

I mean, most high earners have private health but 47% is still effectively half of every dollar you earn in the top bracket.

It's not a good system because it unduly penalises salary earners and rewards the super rich (who have more flexibility in structuring their income streams).

Oh really

Of course mate, bragging about your affordable living looking for the opportunity to look down your nose at anyone who dared live within 100km of the CBD. Bait.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Of course mate, bragging about your affordable living looking for the opportunity to look down your nose at anyone who dared live within 100km of the CBD. Bait.
Jeez offended much?

I live 25km from Perth's CBD. My suburb of residence has a high crime rate (by volume anyway, right on Perth's average by crime per resident). I wasn't looking down on anyone, just getting across that it is possible to not be in constant debt and struggling to survive, even on my unthinkably small wage

Last edited:
Jeez offended much?

I live 25km from Perth's CBD. My suburb of residence has a high crime rate (by volume, average by crime per resident). I wasn't looking down on anyone, just getting across that it is possible to not be in constant debt and struggling to survive, even on my unthinkably small wage

Not really? Was just an observation.

Your "And there it is" comment about people needing to live in/near the CBD seemed pretty sneery but maybe I misread. :)

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Not really? Was just an observation.

Your "And there it is" comment about people needing to live in/near the CBD seemed pretty sneery but maybe I misread. :)
General throwaway. Whenever I mention this sort of stuff to people they turn their nose up at the idea of living in the burbs because the CBD is everything

General throwaway. Whenever I mention this sort of stuff to people they turn their nose up at the idea of living in the burbs because the CBD is everything

Nah I have 0 interest in living in the CBD. Sydney is just shitty to buy in in general haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Jeez offended much?

I live 25km from Perth's CBD. My suburb of residence has a high crime rate (by volume, average by crime per resident). I wasn't looking down on anyone, just getting across that it is possible to not be in constant debt and struggling to survive, even on my unthinkably small wage

Kelmscott?

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Thornlie is a fine suburb. So is Maddington. Working class and normal.
Thornlie has quite a number of shitheads going around causing trouble. Break ins a extremely high. That being said anyone with even slightly tougher security measures is fine most of the time.

Maddington is worse than Gosnells. Every street has a dodgy AF house on it

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Thornlie has quite a number of s**theads going around causing trouble. Break ins a extremely high. That being said anyone with even slightly tougher security measures is fine most of the time.

Maddington is worse than Gosnells. Every street has a dodgy AF house on it

I find comfort in working class suburbs with high migrant populations

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Rent, food, bills (water, electricity, gas), our dog (who is 60kgs with medical issues), plus whatever we splurge on (movies, going to dinner, drinks etc
Do you save much?

My wife and I are probably on a bit more than you and your partner after tax, but not that much more. And we definitely don't live as lavish a lifestyle as you guys.

We plunge most of our money into our mortgage and savings though.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Do you save much?

My wife and I are probably on a bit more than you and your partner after tax, but not that much more. And we definitely don't live as lavish a lifestyle as you guys.

We plunge most of our money into our mortgage and savings though.
Some weeks we save plenty, other weeks were lucky to save $100. Depends what comes up with birthdays etc. We don't have a mortgage or rates though

The marginal tax rate used to be 57%...

There's some numpties ITT. If you are lucky enough to earn $180k you've already paid $54k in tax before the 45% kicks in. Plus you pay the Medicare levy, and either the Medicare levy surcharge or a private health premium. It's almost like the more you earn you lose 30, 40, 50% of it... 🙄

The same tactic is used to get people to smoke less, drink less..

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Where are you talking about here?
As pointed out, you can get places for around $300,000 in Armadale, Camillo way, Kwinana, Orelia, Medina, even around the Midland, Rockingham, way. Not the most desirable of places, but you could own your own place in short time if you’re willing to make those kind of sacrifices. Obviously most on $100,000 plus don’t want to and that’s their prerogative but it’s also their choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back