Australia is OK

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Did I just read a teacher is on six figures? raskolnikov are you a coordinator or something? Or maybe you sell drugs to the kids as a side hustle?

Honestly thought a normal teacher was on 70k.

A beginner teacher's salary is about 70k. I'm a senior experienced teacher, which is the top of the scale before you go into admin positions.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Must be reassuring to know that regardless of what kind of output you have, as long as you're not totally incompetent, that you're guaranteed a pay increase every year.
Well, yeah that's the big negative.

You can be useless and still get a payrise. And it's so difficult to get rid of someone once they're in the Education Dept.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Well, yeah that's the big negative.

You can be useless and still get a payrise. And it's so difficult to get rid of someone once they're in the Education Dept.

It's not that difficult really. A couple of teachers at our school have been stood down this year for performance issues. Also, especially when you get nearer the top of the scale you have to prove that you're going above and beyond what an average classroom teacher does. I had to write a detailed selection criteria outlining what extras I was doing to get my senior experienced teacher classification.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
At the time I lived in England the Aussie theme pub was at the peak of it's popularity and without exception they were ghastly.

I went to one in Las Vegas, pretty sure it was an Outback Steakhouse. They had some photos of kangaroos and whatnot on the walls but the food was embarrassing. Wasn't better or worse than your regular US pub food but they just give things Aussie names for the sake of it. Not sure a bloomin' onion is an Australian thing, and I'm certain that 'Volcano Shrimp' and 'Alice Springs Quesadillas' are not.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Which teachers are complaining about salary? I've only heard complaints about increasing demands on teachers and poor support/conditions. Mind you WA teacher salaries are relatively high, I think teachers in SA earn way less so perhaps they are the ones complaining.

The thing about teachers (SA rant incoming no doubt) is that there is a s**t ton of them, and it's a skilled position. You can't have them all earning $50k a year when the average wage is $80k (ish), and you can't pay them all $100k+ because there just isn't the money to pay for it. So there's a natural constraint at each end. Teachers were pretty poorly paid up until the mid 2000s maybe when salaries caught up a bit.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Naw.

Don't let the truth get in the way of some good tears.

2024/25 FY

$0 -18,200 0%
$18,201 - $41,000 19%
$41,001 - $200,000 32.5%
$200,000+ 45%

Ignoring Medicare levy, Medicare levy surcharge, low income tax offsets etc.

Looks like we have a tax-free threshold and tax brackets with increasing rates of taxation the more you earn. Here I was reading that tweet thinking that it was just a flat rate in the dollar for everyone from $1 to $1,000,000,00....

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wonder how many times a day the average person pays a "tax".

Transport to work = tax (registration, petrol, tolls, PT)
Work = tax
Eat lunch = tax

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Australia is ok, we don't have to deal having Starbucks as one of our only coffee options.
Starbucks exists in the small city I live in. I walked in yesterday saw the prices and walked out. Everything literally twice the price of the same stuff at local chains and probably shittier quality too.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Australia is great... its not perfect, but its pretty great.
The kind of people who dont think it is, are the kind of people whove never travelled and seen the rest of the world

Or people who have traveled and see the positives and not the negatives elsewhere.

The US is great. But it's not great for all 300m people that live there. As an Australian visiting the US you are already in the top 20-30% compared to the locals.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The NSW deputy premier has vowed to introduce legislation to open up a national park in the state’s Riverina region to logging.

John Barilaro wants to remove protection of the 42,000 hectare Murray Valley national park by either de-gazetting the entire park or reducing its size.

Barilaro told the National party’s recent state conference a bill would be reintroduced to the parliament after the winter recess.

Whether it takes the form of a private member’s bill or government bill will depend on there being broader Coalition support for reversing the listing of the park. Such a move would be a first for New South Wales and is fiercely opposed by environment groups.

The conservation area is known for its river red gum forests and is home to several threatened species and a Ramsar-listed wetland.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Back