Australia Open Day 12

Remove this Banner Ad

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Alcott about to wrap this up. Wonder if they will play an exhibition doubles fast4 for the crowd after this?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think if you tracked Federer's average rally length over his career you'd see a considerable progressive shortening in the last few years. He has undeniably retooled his game significantly - it's far more serve-based, he comes to the net more frequently than he has in years, and his winner and unforced error counts are much higher than they used to be.

I mean, I'd never say any athlete definitely isn't juicing, but it's simplistic to say that he is just because he's suddenly become successful again. There's a lot of reasons for his resurgence - not least of which being the inability of most of the other top players to stay on the court.

If he was playing how he was in early 2016 and winning big I'd agree, but the fact that his aging body is capable of coming to the net after every serve, delivering powerful and deep returns off his opponent's serve, never relenting at all and running circles around his opponents - the kind of things he has not demonstrated in a long, long time...

Hang on? He just pulled out because of a blister? Are you ******* kidding me?
You don’t realise how painful they can be. Right up there with a torn muscle or ACL.

It’s not like they can just pop it, and tape it up....

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Dont follow tennis myself.
Can someone tell me has a player ever retired hurt whilst actually leading a match?
I think it has happened to Nishikori & Nadal in slams.

Jaziri retired from an aus open match with a lead but that was upon instructions from Tunisian officials to avoid playing an Israel player in the next round.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he was playing how he was in early 2016 and winning big I'd agree, but the fact that his aging body is capable of coming to the net after every serve, delivering powerful and deep returns off his opponent's serve, never relenting at all and running circles around his opponents - the kind of things he has not demonstrated in a long, long time...
Again I think that is a little simplistic. Early 2016 was Federer still in the process of adjusting his game. Edberg brought back the reemphasis on his net play, but Ljubing up his serve really allowed him the ability to conserve energy for return games. He also plays his backhand more intelligently than he did 18 months ago, which has had a huge impact on his court mileage and point lengths.

Honestly, I think you're really underrating the flow-on impact that tactical improvements can have to physical exertion. Maybe the guy is doping, but his success isn't as inexplicable as you're making out.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didnt seem too hampered by the injury at all till he stopped running at balls.

Wont be receiving any favours from AO organises for future tournaments thats for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was surprised to see so many buoyant about his prospects against Roger after his last couple of wins.

Mediocre serve, no net game and no variation from the baseline.

He's got some way to go to beat someone with a complete game like Roger. Luckily for Chung, Roger isn't going to be around during his prime.
They got too excited about him beating Novak when he wasn't hitting the ball well and his serve was probably as bad as Chung's with his new service motion and bad elbow.

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
I wonder if it is some sort of Asian pride/embarrassment thing which led to Chung’s embarrassment and ultimate withdrawal.

See: Chris Lilley’s we can become heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If you show people the picture of his foot they'll sympathise

They will sympathise but the issue of giving up remains.

He was in a slam semi against the greatest ever player. Many years ago Buck Shelford the All Black captain played on with a torn scrotum when representing his country. Mad? Perhaps but he was a man defending the honour of his jumper and his place in that jumper.

Chung may be in another game but in that situation you stand up and take it. If you are bagelled so be it but you stand and take it.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
0cd40e68f5bc0931e2f9a64bb13166b2.jpg

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think people too quickly dismiss the physical impact of going deep into a 128-draw five-set tournament on someone who has played very few matches of that length in his lifetime.

Doubly so for someone with sort of high-impact, high-stress game of Chung.

Hippster

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you say so, Yoda.

To wrap up my thoughts.
Fed 2004-2012 10/10 player, with amazing opposition.
Fed now, 9/10 player. All main challengers injured. All youngsters absolute soft as butter. Opposition therefore close to non existent.
So Fed at top of the tree again (along with Rafa) impossible not to be happening.
I reckon Lleyton could make a AO quarter final in current climate. At least he’s not a pea heart.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I think people too quickly dismiss the physical impact of going deep into a 128-draw five-set tournament on someone who has played very few matches of that length in his lifetime.

Doubly so for someone with sort of high-impact, high-stress game of Chung.

Yes, quite surprised he got as far as he did with no problems (although of course we do know now he did have some problems with his feet).

The only thing I would say is he should have played out that game and/or set. It just seemed a bit odd to stop mid game like that. If he had lost that second set (highly likely) it would not be unreasonable to retire at that point given he would have had to win another three to win the match and his feet would not last that long. Retiring mid game is fine if you crash to the ground and sustain an injury that way but for something like what he had I think at the very least play out the game. Anyway, he is still young and it was his first time on such a big stage so I cut him some slack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back