Australia Squads for Tour of Sri Lanka

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Maxwell was very hard done by 4 years ago but surely the ship has sailed. Last time I saw him play he'd opened his stance completely to slog better, and it wasn't even working for that. The test cricket ship that is
Hardly played any red ball cricket in the last 3 years so I struggle to understand where you are coming from.

Hardly played any red ball cricket in the last 3 years so I struggle to understand where you are coming from.

Maybe so, but was never getting picked in this tour that would be the ultimate Hail Mary going off no form, he's having a terrible IPL too.

Maybe so, but was never getting picked in this tour that would be the ultimate Hail Mary going off no form, he's having a terrible IPL too.

Maxwell should have been selected in the Australia A squad,at least give him a chance in a 4 day game again.BUT I think his test days are gone,am I correct in saying that he will not be available for the early shield games next season because of the T20 World Cup?

Last edited:

Maxwell should have been selected in the Australia A squad,at least give him a chance in a 4 day game again.BUT I think his test days are gone,am I correct in saying that he will not be available for the early shield games next season because of the T20 World Cup?

As far as I know that is correct, but I can't say I've looked at the dates lately.

No wonder Pommie Test cricket is in such a parlous state given the County batting belters produced. In one match.. first innings Surrey 603 to Gloucestershire 2/443 with a pair of double hundreds from each team. How do such easy paced decks build a solid technique needed for the rigors of Test cricket. The ECB has to insist county curators prepare their pitches to at least challenge the batsman.
If you think this is true you clearly don't follow county cricket. The biggest criticism of it from an actual playing perspective has been the pitches being way too green which allows your 120km/h meds to dominate batsman.

Nice squads. Expect most, if not all of the A squad to play at least 1 game, the Australian squad members most likely to drop out after the first.

So are people very confident we'll win the Test Series in Sri Lanka ? Or a bit who knows if they create massive turners ?

Yes we have the talent in the team to win. Sri Lanka batting is average atm

Toss will be important (they always are in the subcontinent) we need to score big in our first innings to help out the bowlers

The pakistan tour was great for us.....I can see us winning both tests against the Sri Lankans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big ton for Angelo Mathews. Chandimal and Mendis in the runs too. Nice little warm-up series for SL before facing the Aussies.

Australia are in for a world of pain. 2016 all over again imo.

Big ton for Angelo Mathews. Chandimal and Mendis in the runs too. Nice little warm-up series for SL before facing the Aussies.

Australia are in for a world of pain. 2016 all over again imo.

Maybe, time will tell I guess.

Our top 6 (7) is as good as any going about at the moment.

Expecting bunsen burners and them to line up with 1 seamer plus Angelo Mathews. 3 spinners plus Dhananjaya in the top 6.
Not that he'd bowl much on a bunsen anyway but Mathews doesn't really bowl anymore. He's bowled 17 overs total in the last 5 years of Test cricket and his last test wicket was in January 2017.

Not that he'd bowl much on a bunsen anyway but Mathews doesn't really bowl anymore. He's bowled 17 overs total in the last 5 years of Test cricket and his last test wicket was in January 2017.
Yeah, but more if they needed a second seamer he'd be the one to do it. Open with Embuldeniya and whoever their seamer is

What was our eleven like in 2016 when we toured Sri Lanka though ?
Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
M Marsh
Nevill
O'Keefe
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

O'Keefe (hamstring) replaced by Holland for the second and third tests.

Burns and Khawaja (dropped) replaced by S Marsh and Henriques for the third test.

Bird and Coulter-Nile also in the test squad.

i remember us screwing up with the ball few times in that series having them 5-6 down for not many, was a real issue around that time with finishing off an innings.
The SOK injury in the 1st Test really hurt Australia's chances in that series. He was coming off a 10fa in the tour game and Herath was running through Aus on turning pitches where the ones that wouldn't turn would attack the stumps in a similar vein to what SOK did a year later in Pune.

Starc was knocking over their top order with the new ball basically every innings of the series but Mathews, Chandimal, Dhanajaya De Silva were down at 5,6 & 7. All right handers so Lyon wasn't as effective against them and Holland was poor.

Although it may not have mattered given Aus couldn't make a run against Herath.

Expecting bunsen burners and them to line up with 1 seamer plus Angelo Mathews. 3 spinners plus Dhananjaya in the top 6.

in the test match vs Bangladesh that just finished.

Sri Lanka used 7 bowlers and that didn't include Mathews - not real sure how much bowling he does these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back