Australia to host 2015 Asian Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who, despite Australia being the only bidder, had an uneasy suspicion that it would be awarded to Qatar?

That really sucks for Adelaide fans, some of the lower drawing games would have been perfect for Hindmarsh.

Once again Sydney will no doubt be the centre of focus, despite the fact that they don't really deserve it based on their crowds.

Once again Sydney will no doubt be the centre of focus, despite the fact that they don't really deserve it based on their crowds.

Sydney are committing the biggest stadium to the event, so they'll host the final at Stadium Australia. I don't like it but there it is, would have rathered the final be at Suncorp if it wasn't going to be in Melbourne.

Shame Adelaide have been ignored totally in favour of the GC, but again I'd suspect economics would have played a part, it being a very popular Asian tourist destination.

Docklands to host the opening but most Melbourne games to be played at the Missus. The HS was whinging about the MCG not hosting the final, which is a valid complaint. I'm sure the best players in the region won't mind that cricket pitch in the middle.

Surely Gold Coast will be one of the venues given the chop seeing as we're apparently only going to use 4 or 5 of them.

Surely Gold Coast will be one of the venues given the chop seeing as we're apparently only going to use 4 or 5 of them.

Parramatta is definitely gone.

Then it will be between the SFS and the MRS, and Canberra and GC.

My tip:
Stadium Australia (Final)
Docklands Stadium (Opening, Semi)
Lang Park (Semi)
Gold Coast
Missus

but knowing Football Federation Sydney they'll choose the SFS over MRS.

Mickey Mouse event

Even the FFA admit it stating 438,000 and 510,000 overall attendance for 32 games (and take in account that you would have 50,000 at Jihad Stadium for the Opening game and 50,000 for the Final at SFS) - crowd average 10,000 average for the other 30 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Hindmarsh is not a compatible stadium for the Asian Cup in it's current state. Same with Perth Oval.

Still, Adelaide deserves a game, pity it doesn't have the stadium. If it wasn't in summer I am sure the Adelaide Oval would have got a game.

What scant consolation this is for us not getting the world cup: i was talking about this with my co-worker this afternoon! and he says nobody wants to go see a farsical game between Vietnam and Bahrain

Just to quote the Matildas when they won the Women's Asian cup: 'We just won the Asian cup! And we're not even Asian!'

ps i can say that: for anyone wanting a photographer to work at their wedding, here is my business card ->

racecard.gif

Anyway, someone out there has to make a Syriana type movie (more like "Offside", the movie about girls sneaking in to watch Iran play in a World Cup Qualifier - go watch it :) ) anyway, someone should make a movie about australia playing in the Asian football federation, about how it totally does not work for the players

Bit puzzled why they couldn't play at least 1 or 2 group games in Adelaide (or even Canberra). I can understand Perth and Townsville given the distance but Adelaide deserve some games.

As for the crowds, it will be OK if they promote it and keep tickets affordable. Depends a lot on who qualfies as well - ie Iraq will get big crowds due to the large ex-pat community, but North Korea v Saudi Arabia could be a struggle.

Good thing is it will be played in January, which is pretty uncluttered in the sporting calander so it should get a lot of publicity. What will they do with the A-League whilst it is on?

Funny how people keep wondering why Adelaide and Perth got nothing, while Melbourne will get only one ground and won't host the final.

Think back careful, to how the AFL "supported" Australia's WC bid, and then you'll know why the southern states got shafted.

Funny how people keep wondering why Adelaide and Perth got nothing, while Melbourne will get only one ground and won't host the final.

Think back careful, to how the AFL "supported" Australia's WC bid, and then you'll know why the southern states got shafted.
Nothing to do with the AFL but thanks for offering up another baseless conspiracy theory :rolleyes:.

Cricket has control over the MCG and Adelaide Oval in Summer whereas Hindmarsh lacks the necessary corporate/media facilties and is too small. In any case keeping the tournament within the Melbourne to Brisbane corridor with each venue only a 1-2 hour flight away at the most from each other makes financial sense. Outside of Socceroos matches the tournament is hardly going to rake in the big crowds and dough.

And who says Melbourne won't have two venues btw. The idea is to have two stadia in use simultaneously for the final group stage games when teams in the same group have to play at the same time. So both Etihad and AAMI Park will most likely still get gigs. At least in Melbourne you can guarantee people will turn up

Cricket has control over the MCG and Adelaide Oval in Summer whereas Hindmarsh lacks the necessary corporate/media facilties and is too small. In any case keeping the tournament within the Melbourne to Brisbane corridor with each venue only a 1-2 hour flight away at the most from each other makes financial sense. Outside of Socceroos matches the tournament is hardly going to rake in the big crowds and dough.

The Youth WCs in the '80s and '90s drew crowds of 20k plus. And AAMI Stadium and Patersons are both available.

And who says Melbourne won't have two venues btw. The idea is to have two stadia in use simultaneously for the final group stage games when teams in the same group have to play at the same time. So both Etihad and AAMI Park will most likely still get gigs. At least in Melbourne you can guarantee people will turn up

Umm... there are only five stadia used for the tourny. Sydney will get two, and then Melbourne will probably get one, Brisbane one, and either GC or Canberra one.

there are only five stadia used for the tourny. Sydney will get two, and then Melbourne will probably get one, Brisbane one, and either GC or Canberra one.

I'm confident it will be Melbourne who gets the two. The ethnic communities here will be able to fill the MRS for the non-Australia games better than Sydney could the SFS. Etihad may get 2 or 3 games involving the big nations (Aus, Japan, ROK etc).

Anyway, it's up to the AFC and FFA.

There was a good article in the Fairfax press about how the bid went down.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/and-the-booby-prize-goes-to--australia-20110106-19hlu.html

SMH said:
Yes, Australia was the only bidder for the event. To the uninitiated, this implies that the tournament was of little interest to the world. Hardly. Australia's commitment to hosting the Asian Cup scared rival nations away...

...Since joining the Asian Football Confederation in 2006, Australia has been hell-bent on hosting the event as a way of saying thank you to the region that still harbours sizeable suspicions about its involvement in the AFC...

...sensing the mood was against it, the FFA pulled out of the race [against Qatar to host 2011], focusing on 2015 instead. A wise move, one condoned by Bin Hammam, who has repeatedly praised Australia for offering to host 2015.

Don't dismiss the magnitude of that decision by the FFA, for getting in early and securing the support of the AFC Executive Committee - something it failed to do for the 2022 World Cup - ultimately proved crucial.

you just watch, nobody is going to be turning up to any of the games

its just like the rugby league world cup. the teams from lebanon and usa are made up completely of australians

The Youth WCs in the '80s and '90s drew crowds of 20k plus. And AAMI Stadium and Patersons are both available.
The 1993 Youth World Cup wasn't played in Perth and they played double headers to attract crowds. Non-Australian crowds didn't exceed 15k until the SFs and Final btw and most games had 10k or less which is fair enough for a youth tournament. The 3rd place/Final got 40k in Sydney. It was all well organised and Australia doing well made it a success. I still remember Australia vs Brazil at the old Olympic Park being chockers. So much too for Soccer not kickstarting in Oz until 2005.

Umm... there are only five stadia used for the tourny. Sydney will get two, and then Melbourne will probably get one, Brisbane one, and either GC or Canberra one.
Based on past Asian Cups you could host it with just 3 or 4 stadia let alone 5. Qatar 2011 will be the first time 5 stadia have been used for an Asian Cup and it's a postage stamp of a country sizewise. No reason why Australia 2015 will not use more than 5 stadia so teams don't have to travel as much. Financially and crowd wise it makes sense for us to use six in pairs - Suncorp/Robina, SFS/Parramatta & Etihad/AAMI Park - with the Socceroos playing in the larger of the pairs and everyone else the smaller of the pairs during the group stage.

Even if this was true, its about as stupid as you can get.

Talk about doing the AFL's job for them.

I would have thought that the best way to get back at the AFL is to stage this in their heartland at venues they have no control over, and steal some of the limelight from the leadup to the start of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back