Australia tour of Bangladesh 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Which begs the question, with our fragile battling line up, who did we elect to chase?
Maxwell? Lynn is playing in the Hundred in England. Not sure if you can play 3 wicket keeper batsman thats all. In subcontinent conditions you need your best batsman. Do understand that Wade and Phillipe are good players of spin. Maybe you play 2 wicketkeeper batsman max. orif it was in Australia- possibly you could play 3 wicket keeper batsman.

Anyway these conditions would probably be foreign to a lot of the players as many of them haven't played in Bangladesh that regularly. That effort against spin tonight was deplorable. If i were Bangladesh id be tempted to bowl the majority of spin in the next 4 T20's. Its clear Australias weak link and has been for some while.

The fact some are keepers is largely irrelevant given a fair chunk of the best BBL batsmen are keepers by trade. Wade, Philippe, Inglis, Carey etc. They can get in on batting merit from state level regardless. Even McDermott is part time and an option for the middle order.

Funnily enough though, Inglis is the one from that list I’d most like to see and he’s the one not in the squad.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
The fact some are keepers is largely irrelevant given a fair chunk of the best BBL batsmen are keepers by trade. Wade, Philippe, Inglis, Carey etc. They can get in on batting merit from state level regardless. Even McDermott is part time and an option for the middle order.

Funnily enough though, Inglis is the one from that list I’d most like to see and he’s the one not in the squad.
Fair point. I think T20 these days you have to have flexibility in the roles . So I understand that side as well.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla

This article is funny in that until half an hour in to the match it said you could watch it in Australia on Youtube. CA - the administrators of the game in this country - then spent most of the article explaining how it wasn't their fault that the game wasn't broadcast in Australia.

One thing it probably guarantees is that CA's stance of cancelling matches against Bangladesh at any opportunity will remain.

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
We are so clueless against spin. Best bat against it is Kawajha and he stood up to the garden gnome Langer so will never play for Australia again.

Saying that, we are also clueless against the swinging ball.

Australia are the West Coast Eagles of cricket. Flat track bullies but can’t perform away.

What the f*** is happening with the coaching???

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
We are so clueless against spin. Best bat against it is Kawajha and he stood up to the garden gnome Langer so will never play for Australia again.

Saying that, we are also clueless against the swinging ball.

Australia are the West Coast Eagles of cricket. Flat track bullies but can’t perform away.

What the f*** is happening with the coaching???
You may want to check up on Usman's record in Asia and his away record in general. It is not pretty. If you're worried about being flat track bullies there probably hasn't been a bigger flat track bully in recent Australian cricket then Khawaja and that includes David Warner.

Has there ever been a bigger disconnect between the national side and the public?

The broadcast rights, or lack thereof, to this series, their arrogance leading up to the GABBA test blowing up in their faces, the memory of sandpapergate, middle order collapses seeming the norm, struggles against spin time after time, few likeable players around (Cummins and Marnus the standouts here), people being tired and critical of the overinflated and meddled with BBL...

I dunno. I don't think I've ever cared as little about cricket as I do currently, and I'm a pretty mad cricket fan. Am I alone in these feelings?

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
You may want to check up on Usman's record in Asia and his away record in general. It is not pretty. If you're worried about being flat track bullies there probably hasn't been a bigger flat track bully in recent Australian cricket then Khawaja and that includes David Warner.

UAE is considered part of Asia, cob

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
UAE is considered part of Asia, cob
Yep and he averages 31 in Asia and 28 generally away from home including his UAE scores. Worse than Warner not to mention a host of players who aren't universally derided as being flat track bullies.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Cummins will be a welcome addition, but Warner is definitely on the downhill side of his career, Smith really isn’t suited for T20 and Finch is too damn inconsistent. I guess that group can elevate the side from total suck to borderline mediocrity.
Yeah I missed maxi too

We ain't winning it but we will have a better side out there

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
We continue our spin woes.. tho pleased to see some blokes looked to be aggressive. But hey guys a leggies stock ball spins away from a r/hander so why not try hitting with the spin next time. Marsh again the top scorer but for gods sake Levers cut the slog sweep from your armory.

I guess the CA plan to improve our spin play by installing Indian like spin tracks at the Academy has been a massive failure. Playing spin is simply not in the Aussie DNA. Dead set we could count good players of spin in state cricket on one hand..so what chance do we have winning in the UAE and on the spin friendly sub continent.

Yeah I missed maxi too
At least he plays spin better than most. Another good spin player is Pete Handscomb. These blokes need to be picked on sub continent tours as horses for courses selections.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RohitSharma

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2015
Bandra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United and Barcelona
Seriously Aussies I have lost 50 bucks to my neighbor . I wasn't expecting this, it was a terrible display of cricket.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Has there ever been a bigger disconnect between the national side and the public?

The broadcast rights, or lack thereof, to this series, their arrogance leading up to the GABBA test blowing up in their faces, the memory of sandpapergate, middle order collapses seeming the norm, struggles against spin time after time, few likeable players around (Cummins and Marnus the standouts here), people being tired and critical of the overinflated and meddled with BBL...

I dunno. I don't think I've ever cared as little about cricket as I do currently, and I'm a pretty mad cricket fan. Am I alone in these feelings?
Given the Olympics is on at the same time as well, as well as the AFL and NRL season at home, at the moment I don't think too many would have interest in the cricket going on at the moment. The broadcasting fiasco with regards to this series and the squad sent over - it indicates a pretty much WHO GAF factor to it.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
We continue our spin woes.. tho pleased to see some blokes looked to be aggressive. But hey guys a leggies stock ball spins away from a r/hander so why not try hitting with the spin next time. Marsh again the top scorer but for gods sake Levers cut the slog sweep from your armory.

I guess the CA plan to improve our spin play by installing Indian like spin tracks at the Academy has been a massive failure. Playing spin is simply not in the Aussie DNA. Dead set we could count good players of spin in state cricket on one hand..so what chance do we have winning in the UAE and on the spin friendly sub continent.

At least he plays spin better than most. Another good spin player is Pete Handscomb. These blokes need to picked on sub continent tours as horses for courses selections.

Yeah Baggs.

I am p****ed off ....seriously you could get any spinner from any level of cricket and this team would struggle

Its time to Go back to the basics FFS.....play the V !! stop trying to sweep across the line...look at scoring 20 from 20 balls who cares about smashing it we cannot even survive 20 overs !!

Look at tapes of AB look how he played spin...look at D Martyn and M Waugh....come up with a plan FFS ...those players used there feet or went back to play spin...THEY HAD A PLAN !!

I'm happy Baggy to have both smith and labs in the squad for the t20 WC.....have them bat 3 or 4...at least they are class and can bat

Henriques seriously dude take a long hard look at yourself....just quit waste of everyones time

fuming atm

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Australia has long struggled to find decent middle order power hitters.

And make no mistake it is 'much ' easier to find opening bats in T20 than to find middle order power hitters.

Other nations seem to have that sort of proper T20 middle over batsman: Eoin Morgan, Kohli, AB, Andre Russell.

Do agree Marnus and Steve Smith who get unfairly criticised for not being suited in the T20 format of the game- it is time to get them back in.

CA - the administrators of the game in this country - then spent most of the article explaining how it wasn't their fault that the game wasn't broadcast in Australia.
Dave Middleton =/= CA.

Between the administrators of the game in this country, Bangladesh Cricket Board and TV broadcasters: CA finish a distant third in the Greedy Pricks Stakes. People ought to know that, somebody has to say it.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Yeah Baggs.

I am p****ed off ....seriously you could get any spinner from any level of cricket and this team would struggle

Its time to Go back to the basics FFS.....play the V !! stop trying to sweep across the line...look at scoring 20 from 20 balls who cares about smashing it we cannot even survive 20 overs !!

Look at tapes of AB look how he played spin...look at D Martyn and M Waugh....come up with a plan FFS ...those players used there feet or went back to play spin...THEY HAD A PLAN !!

I'm happy Baggy to have both smith and labs in the squad for the t20 WC.....have them bat 3 or 4...at least they are class and can bat

Henriques seriously dude take a long hard look at yourself....just quit waste of everyones time

fuming atm
Westie you and I are the same page with this. Yes play the V. Who is our current batting coach. He needs to earn his money. Get these duds up to the Academy spin decks bring the best state tweakers and make em practice till their arms and legs ache.
Adding Mike Hussey to that AB list. The bottom line is white ball cricket has ruined any type of technique. So many batsmen hit across the line, stay stuck to their crease, or play the slog sweep atrociously. Steve Waugh has plenty to answer for. Does CA even have an answer before we embarrass ourselves at the T20 WC and next November in India.

Last edited:

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dave Middleton =/= CA.

Between the administrators of the game in this country, Bangladesh Cricket Board and TV broadcasters: CA finish a distant third in the Greedy Pricks Stakes. People ought to know that, somebody has to say it.
I'm not sure Dave Middleton is the one making the decision to write all that off his own back. He would write it under instructions from the media and communications manager at CA.

The tone of the article completely changed once they worked out the match couldn't be streamed using the Rabbitholebd Youtube channel to distance themselves from any responsibility. Something they should have known before then given Adam Collins knew by contacting the BCB before the match.

Last edited:

"But then Alex Carey, opening in the absence of injured captain Aaron Finch, was out for a golden duck, Ryan Phillippe went for nine as another chance to impress went begging, and only Marsh, with 45, stood up to the home team attack. "
----------
no wonder we were outplayed, if we're picking washed up actors... :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back