Australia tour of New Zealand, 2021- 5 T20 matches

Remove this Banner Ad

So if Phillipe is opening who are you dropping? Not sure whether you have ever spoken any positive comments about any Australian player on Big Footy but please name a few that I might have missed who you rate.

1. Phillipe
2. Wade
3. McDermott
4. Maxwell (no later than 4)
5. Stoinis
6. Marsh (capt.)- FLOAT
7. Turner (I’d personally have picked Christian or Cutting but he’s the best “hitter” we have in the squad
8. Sams
9. J.Richardson
10. Meredith
11. Zampa

Meredith or Sangha would depend on conditions in the WC personally I would go a second spinner.

3 frontline bowlers and we can get 8 overs from Sams, Stoinis, Maxwell, Marsh and Turner. That’s plenty.

1. Phillipe
2. Wade
3. McDermott
4. Maxwell (no later than 4)
5. Stoinis
6. Marsh (capt.)- FLOAT
7. Turner (I’d personally have picked Christian or Cutting but he’s the best “hitter” we have in the squad
8. Sams
9. J.Richardson
10. Meredith
11. Zampa

Meredith or Sangha would depend on conditions in the WC personally I would go a second spinner.

3 frontline bowlers and we can get 8 overs from Sams, Stoinis, Maxwell, Marsh and Turner. That’s plenty.

Maxwell is the best hitter we have in the squad. Langer was right when he took over. He is a #6 or #7 where his cameos are exactly what you need. Obviously his ceiling is higher than that but he doesn't produce enough.

If we are locked into Finch and Warner then I think whoever the keeper is has to bat #3. None of them are any good down the order. Smith can check his ego in and drop down the order too. He is not that good at T20, bat at 4 champ.

Maxwell is the best hitter we have in the squad. Langer was right when he took over. He is a #6 or #7 where his cameos are exactly what you need. Obviously his ceiling is higher than that but he doesn't produce enough.

If we are locked into Finch and Warner then I think whoever the keeper is has to bat #3. None of them are any good down the order. Smith can check his ego in and drop down the order too. He is not that good at T20, bat at 4 champ.

Smith shouldn’t be in the side. I’ve said it a few times Inwouldnt pick him unfortunately the selectors will.

would be happy with any ofhthose three listed at 4,5,6. Just feel you want your most damaging players in with the most balls to face

Something like this should work
Finch
Warner
Philippe/Wade/Carey (whoever the selectors see as #1 keeper)
Smith
Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh
Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh
Agar
Sams/J Richardson
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh
Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh
Agar
Sams/J Richardson
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

If the keeper is in the middle oder, Josh Inglis should be picked, he's the only keeper batting there normally! How many bowlers do we need jeez....5 front liners...and Maxwell, Stoinis and Marsh can bowl! Too many bowlers!

If the keeper is in the middle oder, Josh Inglis should be picked, he's the only keeper batting there normally! How many bowlers do we need jeez....5 front liners...and Maxwell, Stoinis and Marsh can bowl! Too many bowlers!
You could bring a bowler out but in India you probably want two spinners, so it’d be something like this

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Marsh
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

You could bring a bowler out but in India you probably want two spinners, so it’d be something like this

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Marsh
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

I wouldn’t play Smith. Would waste too many balls. I’d play McDermott easily.

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh
Maxwell/Stoinis/Marsh
Agar
Sams/J Richardson
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

I reckon Sams is a really interesting player. You wouldn't have him in the top 20 players in the country but for team structure he really rockets up the order. If it was in Australia I would be happy to go with Maxwell at #7 and Zampa as your spin bowling options but in India you are probably going to want more than that. Then if you play Agar and Zampa with 3 quicks, Agar becomes a stretch at #7. Since we don't really have a clear cut #3 quick bowler anyway the door is ajar for Sams if he can repeat what he did the other day with the bat. The ability to step in and smash sixes from ball 1 is huge for a lower order bat in T20. You probably don't want him bowling more than 2 or 3 at international level but you can split his overs with Maxwell/Marsh/Stoinis.

Finch
Warner
Keeper
Smith
Marsh/Stoinis
Maxwell
Sams
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

To me that is a decent structure at least.

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Marsh
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Change the batting order a bit and it’s almost perfect imo... well as close as you’ll get with what Australia has to pick from.

It’d look something like:
Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Marsh
Wade/Carey (one plays, other stays home)
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Philippe
Sams
Tye/Richardson/Richardson/Abbott (one of)
Swepson (hopefully, otherwise who knows - wouldn’t pick Sangha personally)

In the Covid world it’s quite likely we’ll be able to have a squad over 15, in which case we take more than one of the quicks I’ve listed in the reserves.

Maxwell, Stoinis and Marsh deserve to be there on their batting. The fact they can bowl is a bonus and gives you lots of options. You still pick the requisite number of bowlers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell, Stoinis and Marsh deserve to be there on their batting. The fact they can bowl is a bonus and gives you lots of options. You still pick the requisite number of bowlers.

And that’s why we can only make 170! We need another batsman

That's a shame, the crowds and atmosphere has been great so far in this series, won't be the same with the games being played in empty stadiums.

Seems a massive overreaction to ban crowds altogether in Wellington for one case in Auckland, surely restricted crowd numbers would have been OK.
Well overreacting has worked well so far here, there is a lot more at stake than a few cricket matches.

In other news, young hopeful Finn Allen smashed 128 off 59 balls for Wellington vs Otago today at the Basin Reserve (which is one of our few proper sized grounds).

Well overreacting has worked well so far here, there is a lot more at stake than a few cricket matches.

In other news, young hopeful Finn Allen smashed 128 off 59 balls for Wellington vs Otago today at the Basin Reserve (which is one of our few proper sized grounds).

Not overreacting as Sydney did also worked!

We were supposed to be playing a test in South Africa over the weekend and CA didn't want to have the two Australian sides playing on the same day.
I don’t understand what type of organisation allows for two tours to be taking place simultaneously in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back