Australia v India, 1st Test at Adelaide Oval Dec 6-10.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Finch can succeed down the order.

But honestly it doesn't matter who we bring in, our batting stocks are at their lowest they've been in over 30 years.

Anyone you bring in from our weak Shield competition will fail.

It's all just shuffling seats on the Titanic.

Marsh does have to go though due to age.

Yeah pretty much. Even though there are shield attacks stronger than some international attacks if you're not averaging 40 in the shield you have little hope of averaging it in test cricket.

My first post in the forum.

Exciting two days of test cricket helped with ample serving of poor strokeplay from batsmen from both sides and I think the match is pretty evenly poised right now. I would have had India ahead considering Australia are batting last, but given Head's still solid at the crease and our side is literally the worst around in getting the tail out cheaply, think the match is about pretty even now. India wouldn't want to concede a lead of more than 50-60 runs to set a decent target for Australia in the 4th dig.

Indian attack is not the kind of one that runs through sides like SA or Australia, it's generally an attack that is very disciplined and waits on the opposition to commit mistakes. India got the top 6 of England out for next to nothing regularly last series but Sam Curran counterattacked almost everytime and threw spanner in the works of the Indians every match he played and bailed England out of trouble. One genuine difference between India and Australia is the 7-11 batsmen, the Indian tail is composed of genuine tailenders, none of their fast bowlers can bat with the exception of Kumar, whereas Australia are quite clearly better in that regard. The lower order ultimately proved to be the difference in the England tour and it can happen here too provided someone plays the Curran role for Australia in the series, possibly Starc?

It's a bloody good test match. Evenly poised after 2 days with India slightly in front.
As for our batting. SMarsh has to be dropped. It's embarrassing he's even in the team.
Unless he scores a century in the 2nd innings he's dropped.
He's 35. He's not a legend with the bat Swap him out for a talented 25 year old.

“there's no one else”

No. * off. The standard Marsh has set for the past 11 months is no longer “average 45 at shield level to get a 40 test level”. He is averaging what, 12 for his last 13 innings? 6 in a row below 10? Just a disgraceful record and he can't “get the series”, we don't need the likes of Burns or Maxwell to average 40 to outperform Marsh, we need double figures....

There is a reason for that, the basics of batting essentially haven't changed much in 150 years. The freaks stand out and plenty can start out well but usually (and more so now because of video analysis) flaws are highlighted and exposed by every team. Maxwell gets criticized because he just doesn't use his brain enough.

This is a concern
http://www.premier.nsw.cricket.com....v/cricket/battingav.aspx?entityid=4&id=RV_CBA

He’s totally head f@#&ed he won’t ever be the same after this.
He’s destroyed.
Eventually it will all come out what actually happened and who knew what.

Need a Pujara/Ashwin like partnership from these two.. also why we shouldn’t be accepting things like “I would’ve taken 9/250 at the start of the day” because that’s bull****. Disciplined bowling and they’re all out for 150-180, even taking that review.. all out 200ish and we’d be taking a lead/breaking even. Something that is 100% needed given we are batting last. Those 50 extra runs will come back to haunt us in a big way. Forget complaining about our batting.. we all know it’s s**t. But there’s been big moments in this game where we could be on top even with said batting, but we haven’t taken them , and India (mostly Pujara), have.

We trail by 60 runs with 3 wickets in hand, it's far from unwinnable. They key is Starc/Head digging in for an hour tomorrow morning and bridging the gap.

The other big issue is you can't see Kohli failing twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see what comes of this test before making wholesale changes.

Day 1 in the afternoon, that poor hour or so when we let Pujara make some easy runs, might of had them a few less. Something to learn from.

Finch's dismissal didn't look great for a bloke opening, but let's see how he goes in his 2nd dig as well as Perth and Melbourne.

Harris looked solid. Nice start to his career. Would give him most of the summer.

Khawaja looked really good. Bit unlucky to have that flick the glove.

Marsh, poor shot but I would give him the Perth test. Played a SS game or 2 on the Perth Stadium wicket, makes sense to pick him for that.

Handscomb looked good too.

Head played really well, thought he might be the weak link, but proved me wrong. Needs to be there at the end of our innings if we want to get past their first dig. Gets most of the summer.

Paine and Cummins got really good balls.

Wade, Cooper, Doolan and Burns are the top SS run scorers this season so far( a long with Harris and SMarsh) so I guess of any changes are to be made to our batting line up it would be with them.

Anyways it's going to be a great 3 days of test cricket. Surely headed for a result.

Twas a good evening, cricket was on at the bowlo so watched that during the consumption of cheap beer.
To this observer, unless a few quick dismissals occur in the first session today, the match will peter out to a draw. Not exactly a cracking run rate due to good bowling by both sides.
If anything, this Test will give headaches to the Australian selectors. Smarsh will get another gig next Test but he has no chance of retaining his place with another failure. Finch will play again but tighten up your defence.
Now back to sleep before pennant starts at 1.

Not exactly a road out there. The Indian bowlers have hit very good areas.

Game on as far as i'm concerned.
How many were out to good balls? Cummins didn’t play a shot. Handscomb, finch and marsh threw their wickets away. Only really Paine and usman got good balls. Harris needed to forward more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back