Australia v India, 1st Test at Adelaide Oval Dec 6-10. | Page 97 | BigFooty

Australia v India, 1st Test at Adelaide Oval Dec 6-10.

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by Gough, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Wolfs

Wolfs Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
    My thoughts on both days since I'm stuck at work.

- Finch should have learned from the Indians about not to chase a full ball.
    - Ashwin has surprised me so far with his bowling.
    - Handscomb looks a lot better than before but I would have had Mitch still over him.
    - Rohit Sharma is a spud. Vilhari should have played over him.
    - India is really missing Saha. A great keeper with a solid mentality to stay in.
    - Ishant bowling well isnt' surprising. He has been killing it in SA and Eng.
    - lol poor Shaun. That was a shit ball.

Bedi likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. DaRick

DaRick Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    (See avatar)
    Ashwin actually only opened the bowling in the first Test in 2017. Sharma/Yadav/Kumar opened the bowling otherwise.

Yeah, that's a fair enough point. In Marsh's case it would be that issue combined with general poor long-term Test form which sees him booted.

Anyway, my point was less about Wade's individual record versus Ashwin as it was that Ashwin is an off-spinner and if the deck isn't turning greatly off-spinners are more effective against left-handers than right-handers. All three of Ashwin's dismissals today were left-handers.

I've already admitted that at face value selecting Wade is reasonable. The question is whether or not he would struggle starting against Ashwin's off-spin on account of his left-handedness.

3. Hunglikemajak

Hunglikemajak Senior List

Richmond
    Other factors were involved in selecting those batsmen though and that is the point I am trying to make. To isolate a batsmen’s record against a particular bowler and then to either select or drop them based purely off that is ridiculous.

4. Monocle

Monocle Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Claremont. New England Patriots.
    Got home from work checked out the days play....... sigh....... alas....... as per normal........ batsmen once again let the team down, bowlers did their bit yesterday , but its the same old same old..... batsmen letting the country down..... should not really be surprised .......Finch as a Test Match Opener FFS.

5. STFU Donnie

STFU Donnie Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Everton
    It ain't working!

Richard Pryor likes this.
  6. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
    Let's bone Handscomb as well on the back of his fantastically idiotic dismissal.

7. STFU Donnie

STFU Donnie Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Everton
    Given how soft he ultimately proved to be, I'm betting his iPod is stacked with Perry Como and the like.

8. DaRick

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    (See avatar)
    I suppose that the problem with punting people based on dumb dismissals is that the way we're going you would have to change at least half of the Top 6 every Test.

9. Hunglikemajak

Hunglikemajak Senior List

Richmond
    Despite the shot that he got out to he looked really good. There’s potential there at the very least.

10. DaRick

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    (See avatar)
    He apparently listened to a cover of a Cheap Trick song, so I'm guessing pop-rock at least.

I don't think he was ever likely to enjoy a long Test career - his action was an injury waiting to happen and he didn't offer much when he wasn't bowling well (which to be frank was too often).

11. jumboprince

jumboprince FLACCID MEMBER

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Yahl Cricket Club
    Even if he does, it should be career ending.

If we are going to rebuild...and I don't mind if we do but having a thirty six year old failure spud up all the time at number 4 is a worry. His shot today was just classic Marsh If we are 2-300 put him down for a ton, 2 for 40...may as well be 13th man for the use he'll be

Redline likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Chuckie357

Chuckie357 Norm Smith Medallist

St Kilda
    And plus the national television coverage commentators like Ian Smith can crack willow and fap over NZ having Zimbabwe 4/10 after getting readmitted back into test status

13. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    I was having a drink in the Hyde Park Tavern not long after Tait played that Test against India in Perth when I saw him waiting at the lights to cross Park St and he looked buggered. I reckon you might be a bit unkind here, he looked like he had issues.

14. Wolfs

GWS
    Other Teams:
    India would have to drop Vijay, Rahul, Rahane, Kohli and Rohit. I'm okay if I was supporting India with the last one.

15. DaRick

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    (See avatar)
    4 of those guys have been pretty patchy this year actually.

16. Stopher

Stopher Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool
    On Wade, if he's logically the next best bat on current form, play him. There's an Ashes tour in a matter of months FFS, it ain't the time to be throwing kids in to see how they handle it. It could legitimately derail a young career.

Imagine Mike Hussey had been given a shot at 24 and maybe again at 27 and not quite made the grade...would he have been given the opportunity to have his incredible post-30 international career? Even look at Ishant Sharma now and tell me he isn't a better player now than his first tour here.

Given the current state of the national team, Shield form has to count for something regardless of age.

17. carnthemlions

carnthemlions Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
    No Smith leaves us with no one with the ability to force India to take Ashwin out of the attack. We can't let him bowl for entire sessions unchanged and expect to make any sort of score.

18. Ohitsthatguy

Ohitsthatguy Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    Why are all our batsmen left-handed? Plays right into Ashwin's hands

19. DaRick

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    (See avatar)
    My overall thoughts:

1) A poor day, but with our batting lineup how surprised should we be? It has gotten to the point where we need to bowl sides out for 150-200 consistently to have a good shot at a first innings lead, but that just isn't a realistic expectation no matter how good your bowling lineup is. Paine losing his way with DRS/field placing towards the end of yesterday looks like it will hurt.

2) Langer has put his stamp on the side in terms of playing style - where Lehmann's sides often tried to hit bowlers out of the attack, Langer's sides try and grind them down. The problem was that 1) we didn't rotate the strike effectively like Pujara did yesterday and 2) a few of our batsmen played poor shots. As such, we may not have collapsed over minutes, instead eroding over hours, but the end effect was still similar.

3) India generally bowled tight, disciplined lines. Against such a unit it is important to rotate the strike, not only to get their fielders to wear themselves out by chasing the ball, but also to disrupt their bowlers rhythm against left-right hand combinations, and also give their captain something to think about RE field placings. We didn't do that though, so their bowlers were able to settle into a comfortable rhythm and Kohli didn't really have to change that much. western royboy suggested that this was down to 20/20 cricket and its emphasis on boundary-hitting rather than running between the wickets (unlike ODI's) and given CA's apparent deference towards that format I have to agree.

4) The conditions are hard to read because IMO neither side has batted particularly well. My impression yesterday is that after some early movement with the new ball, the pitch was largely blameless and could yield plenty of runs provided that batsmen got set, rotated the strike intelligently and didn't play silly shots. Today there was a bit more spin but nothing extravagant. Again, Travis Head showed that patient, intelligent batting could get results.

5) Beyond a second innings miracle, Shaun Marsh is surely on his last legs. He did well in the Shield but his Test form has been shocking and Ashwin seems to have his number. The question is who replaces him. Wade and Maxwell are the most obvious options. The former is in better Shield form and plays pace more effectively but the latter is a right-hander (thus making it harder for Ashwin to dismiss him on non-dustbowls) who plays spin better. Wade is more likely to be selected.

6) I'm worried about Finch's technique when the ball is moving. He will do OK opening in the UAE and facing a lot of spin bowling but I'm not so convinced he can do the job here. Maybe give him one more Test match before making a decision.

20. ROOTA#6

ROOTA#6 Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Obviously they aren't all left handed are they.

U just pick the best 6 bastards with the stick and see if the can do the job. I'm against licking blokes because they hold the bat on a certain side because of an opposition bowler

Gethelred likes this.
  21. Ohitsthatguy

Brisbane Lions
    Most of our top six are, yes.

Wasn't advocating picking on the way they hold a bat, just an observation.

22. Wolfs

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Idk.

At least Head is doing a good job thus far.

I think Shaun will be fine for the series.

Finch will get the series as well. I reckon if both him and Shaun mess up, it gives new blood a chance against a weak SL team, and to be able to build for the Ashes.

23. DaRick

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    (See avatar)
    Truth is, Shaun Marsh's selection reminds me of Marcus North's selection during the 2010/11 Ashes.

Both were left-handed batsmen who kept their place on account of some good Shield scores (as in Shaun's case) and a recent Test century (North's case) that obscured the fact that both had endured quite shocking runs of recent Test form. Plus, both were up against off-spinners who had their number (Swann/Ashwin). North failed and was dumped.

For that reason, I'm very worried about Shaun. It's hard for me to see him turning things around ATM.

24. Ohitsthatguy

Brisbane Lions
    If a 35 year old has to turn things around he shouldn't be in the side.

25. Wolfs

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Good old North. All I remember is that he took a wicket at Brissie in the 2nd innings.

Well you just hope that he can score runs in the 2nd innings. All that he can do is be patient and score runs.

It is also up to the other players in Shield to score tons and that includes Mitch Marsh, Wade, Maxwell, and so on. Shaun got in because he made runs when others didn't