Australia v India, 2nd Test at Perth Stadium Dec 14-18

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoinis would be an interesting inclusion. His bare statistics don't demand he get picked, but he has something about him that makes him look like he will succeed at test level.

Found Warnie’s account.

Yuck. Why would we want another bits and pieces all rounder stinking it up at 6?

I’ll happily support India if we end up with a team with both Finch and Stoinis in it.

Last edited:
the 14 man squad picked 2 weeks ago was for the first 2 tests. rarely do they alter the squad unless an injury.
also Stoinis rolled his ankle in warm up of day 3 or 4 in recent shield game
he's in doubt to bowl for scorchers next week.
same 11 I reckon or M Marsh for Handscomb

Didn't realise Stoinis had injured himself. Makes that second innings effort with the bat even more meritorious.

Same 11 is the best decision for me.

Didn't realise Stoinis had injured himself. Makes that second innings effort with the bat even more meritorious.

Same 11 is the best decision for me.
Would be quite surprised if there were any changes to the side. You really need Finch making a half century, it might make all the difference.

Stoinis would be an interesting inclusion. His bare statistics don't demand he get picked, but he has something about him that makes him look like he will succeed at test level. Reminds me a lot of a young Ian Botham. (Whose stats at FC level were not that great when he got picked to play for England).

Not going to make it to the match. Going away at Christmas and saving money :(
Ian Botham? You been on the sauce Jim? Botham was 21 when he debuted for England, Stoinis is already 29. Botham made over 5000 runs for the Somerset list A side even before he played for England. Stoinis has about half of those runs in his whole career. He has not taken a 5 wicket haul in over 50 first class games, Botham got 5 wickets in an innings in his first test. It is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Rolls Royce.

Ian Botham? You been on the sauce Jim? Botham was 21 when he debuted for England, Stoinis is already 29. Botham made over 5000 runs for the Somerset list A side even before he played for England. Stoinis has about half of those runs in his whole career. He has not taken a 5 wicket haul in over 50 first class games, Botham got 5 wickets in an innings in his first test. It is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Rolls Royce.

Did I say Stoinis was on the same level or have you been drinking the said sauce ?

Stoinis can take the game away from an opposition team quickly. Australia, without Smith and Warner don't seem to have anybody with the X factor. Australia seems to be a team just hanging on and a boost from somebody like Stoinis could be the shot in the arm that they need. Same reason people want Maxwell in the team. Not suggesting that Maxwell is the new Garfield Sobers (in case you get any ideas).

For the record, I was a teenager when Botham came on the scene. I followed his entire career. The 81 Ashes is my favourite series in history. I know how good he was.

Found Warnie’s account.

Yuck. Why would we want another bits and pieces all rounder stinking it up at 6?

I’ll happily support India if we end up with a team with both Finch and Stoinis in it.

Dunno about supporting the opposition, but definitely agree on no bits & pieces all rounder.

A luxury we can't afford right now is a bits & pieces player at 6. Since at least half the time he walks out to bat at 4/150 or worse, we need a stoic, gritty type that can play a long patient innings, bat with the tail and get the score up to 300. We haven't even got one of those TBH. No chasing all rounders at 6 until the top 5 is settled and we are reliably getting 4/300 before he gets a bat.

I can't escape the feeling that Australia wasted a big chance to go 1-0 up in Adelaide. India will be better this time and unfortunately i expect them to go 2-0 up.

Interesting to see how this pitch plays. Looks to be retaining the same bounce characteristics of the WACA so it might give our bowlers an advantage. Although saying that, Ishant & Bumrah really did well with the short balls and blasted a few of our batsmen out. It looks like Ishant has learnt a lot from his previous two tours.

Unchanged line-up for me. Finch really needs a good start as the senior guy in our opening spot otherwise I'd be looking at Joe Burns for the third test. Marsh also needs a good home test. Hopefully Handscomb will like the extra bounce for his back foot technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

India lead 1-0 after a fighting victory against the lacklustre Aussies at Adelaide Oval.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-vs-india-1st-test-india-in-aus-2018-19

Cheteshwar Pujara was deservedly man of the match, while 21-year-old Rishabh Pant equalled the record for most catches in a test match with 11, dropping what would have been the 12th catch and record off Lyon.
DuCATqcU8AAdboF.jpg:large

Lyon was easily the best for the Aussies, scoring 62 unbeaten runs and taking 8 wickets, while the tail wagged the dog, averaging 26 runs per wicket compared to the batters 24 runs.

Australian Captain Tim Paine is the only player in doubt after suffering a blow to his right thumb and forefinger in the second innings. Glenn Maxwell looks to be the most likely inclusion to the squad, scoring 57 and 37 against WA, including a ridiculously unlucky runout, while Mitchell Marsh took 1-102 off 27 overs, scoring 32 runs.

Joe Burns is another batsman that could make his way into the test squad, scoring two half-centuries in his last two shield matches.

Hours of play:
Local: 10.20 start, Lunch 12.20-12.50, Tea 14.50-15.10, Close 17.10
SA: 12.50 start, Lunch 14.50-15.20, Tea 17.20-17.40, Close 19.40
NSW/VIC: 13.20 start, Lunch 15.20-15.50, Tea 17.50-18.10, Close: 20.10
QLD: 12.20 start, Lunch 14.20-14.50, Tea 16.50-17.10, Close 19.10

Umpires:
Chris Gaffney
Kumar Dharmasena

Broadcast:
Foxtel 501
Channel 7

Follow on ESPN Cric Info:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-vs-india-2nd-test-india-in-aus-2018-19
Please not maxwell
Would rather white

Does anyone look at our batting and think, yep, they’ll score some runs?

I actually don’t know - bar perhaps Usman- who’s likely to ton up the whole series.

Does anyone look at our batting and think, yep, they’ll score some runs?

I actually don’t know - bar perhaps Usman- who’s likely to ton up the whole series.

Head does. Kahwaja is capable. Handscomb worth persisting and could hit the form of 2 years a go. Anyone from the tail (bar Hazlewood) could notch a 50.

How good is Nathan Lyon now?

Was almost dropped and probably would have been if SOK wasn't injured two years ago and now he is truly an elite cricketer and our best available player.

No he’s not. The two right arm quicks are better. They just don’t stand out as much because we have a lot of gun quicks. Lyon sticks out like dogs balls because he’s the only world class spinner we’ve had in a decade. He’s certainly good and very reliable but anyone averaging 32 with the ball needs to bring something else to the table to be considered better than others averaging in the low 20s, even allowing for the fact that spinners traditionally average a few more

I wonder if Sharma will bowl a whole over worth of undetected no balls like he did in the 1st test.

I don’t know why any Aussie fan would be upset if he did. All it does is enhance the likelihood of him taking wickets off no balls - like the one certain wicket in Adelaide and a second that may have joined it.

If he gets called once or twice straight up he probably moves his mark and doesn’t bowl them again. Instead he’s got no idea he’s that close, and it’s not until later he gets pinged

I don’t know why any Aussie fan would be upset if he did. All it does is enhance the likelihood of him taking wickets off no balls - like the one certain wicket in Adelaide and a second that may have joined it.

If he gets called once or twice straight up he probably moves his mark and doesn’t bowl them again. Instead he’s got no idea he’s that close, and it’s not until later he gets pinged
I don't think its something that is as easily fixed as moving his mark. He clearly knew he was bowling them after the Finch LBW yet continued to bowl them.

Moving your mark doesn't do anything when its a feel thing. Sharma would be jumping from a particular spot and its really hard to get into a mindset of jumping from a bit further back. I know because I've had the same problem in the past.

I don't think its something that is as easily fixed as moving his mark. He clearly knew he was bowling them after the Finch LBW yet continued to bowl them.

Moving your mark doesn't do anything when its a feel thing. Sharma would be jumping from a particular spot and its really hard to get into a mindset of jumping from a bit further back. I know because I've had the same problem in the past.
+1

In fairness, Sharma has only been playing International Cricket for 10+ years. :drunk:

Forces you to focus on the ground too, instead of where you'll be bowling at, messes up your rhythm

I understand what you mean, albeit I haven’t had the problem with it as such as I aim to land a foot short of the line. And you’re right, it doesn’t cure the problem. But a bowler is far more likely to not bowl them if he’s called straight away in a spell. I see it on a spell by spell basis watching shannon Gabriel do the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back