Australia v India, 3rd Test at the MCG Dec 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
The Aussies drew the series 1-1 with an inspired win against the Indians in Perth in the second test. Facing a series defeat, the Australian's posted their first 100-run opening partnership of the series, with Aaron Finch and Marcus taking advantage of good batting conditions. As the pitch deteriorated, variable bounce was prominent from the first day, with Harris caught to part-time spinner Vihari from a one-in-a-million delivery, bouncing head-high off a good length, while Shami cleaned up the Australian batting lineup in the second innings with a superb body line spell, finishing with 6 wickets.

Virat-Kohli-vs-Tim-Paine-784x441.jpg

Virat Kohli, who has had his struggles against Australia in recent tours, repeated dismissed repeatedly by Nathan Lyon and Pat Cummins, scored a masterful first innings ton, making a mockery of dicey pitch conditions. While his dismissal was contentious, the on-field soft out was upheld. And so began the real revival of Australian cricket, with captain Tim Paine schooling Virat Kohli on PG sledging.

Despite being dismissed from a rising Shami bouncer that was virtually unplayable, Paine had the last laugh as Kohli and Pujara were dismissed cheaply in the second innings, preceding the Indian collapse.

For his spin bowling masterclass, Nathan Lyon was the man of the match, finishing the match with 8 wickets and a 5-for in the first innings.

Hours of play:
Local: 10.30 start, Lunch 12.30-13.10 Tea 15.10-15.30, Close 17.30
SA: 10.00 start, Lunch 12.00-12.40, Tea 14.40-15.00, Close 17.00
QLD: 09.30 start, Lunch 11.30-12.10, Tea 14.10-14.30, Close 16.30
WA: 07.30 start, Lunch 09.30-10.10, Tea 12.10-12.30, Close 14.30

Umpires:
Marais Erasmus
Ian Gould
Richard Kettleborough (3rd)

Broadcast:
Foxtel 501
Channel 7

Follow on ESPN Cric Info:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...tralia-vs-india-3rd-test-india-in-aus-2018-19

Went last year for the fourth or fifth time and probably never will again. Midstrength beer and shitty start time the morning after Christmas. Need to be a day night test going forward.

Last edited:
Went last year for the fourth or fifth time and probably never will again. Midstrengh beer and shitty start time the morning after Christmas. Need to be a day night test going forward.
10.30 really is a bit too early. I liked it when it started 11.30, pretty close to lunch and plenty of time to crack into the left over pork and ham from christmas day.

10.30 really is a bit too early. I liked it when it started 11.30, pretty close to lunch and plenty of time to crack into the left over pork and ham from christmas day.

Did this in NZ. For Boxing Day started a bit later then reverted back. Given it's Melbourne in late December (and forecast is good) you could start at midday and easily have enough light to finish and make up any overs.

Given how far South Melbourne is it tends to be cooler in the morning and the sun doesn't come up till later opposed to places like Brisbane and Sydney (even factoring in DLS). Should start @11 minimum.

"It's a bit sad, really; I'm not thinking about what Christmas present I'm going to give to my kids, I'm thinking about who plays spin better, whether we'll play the extra bowler, how many overs have the fast bowlers bowled. It's sad."

Lol. Get a grip Justin.

I don't really understand using the logic of picking an allrounder in case a fast bowler breaks down. If Marsh is used sparingly as has previously been the case, its smoke and shadows behind the windows. Fool me once, shame on....shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again.

Shall enjoy the salty tears for the next 48 hours

Shall be good accompaniment to the baked ham

Normally I’d be beyond annoyed but jeez Handscomb hasn’t helped himself he’s been awful!

"It's a bit sad, really; I'm not thinking about what Christmas present I'm going to give to my kids, I'm thinking about who plays spin better, whether we'll play the extra bowler, how many overs have the fast bowlers bowled. It's sad."

Lol. Get a grip Justin.

I don't really understand using the logic of picking an allrounder in case a fast bowler breaks down. If Marsh is used sparingly as has previously been the case, its smoke and shadows behind the windows. Fool me once, shame on....shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again.

It's the one session batting collapses that kill our bowlers anyway, give them some runs and 4 sessions where they aren't bowling or bailing out the weak top 6 with the bat and they will be just fine.

I just don't understand why they couldn't drop handscomb for his poor form and select who they feel is the next best batsmen based on shield form?

Making it a choice only between two batsmen who have both been awful in test cricket recently is just poor from the selectors and a slap in the face to all the other batsmen in contention.

Last edited:
It's the one session batting collapses that kill our bowlers anyway, give them some runs and 4 sessions where they aren't bowling or bailing out the weak top 6 with the bat and they will be just fine.

Yet we go in with less batsmen. Got to love Australian Cricket logic lol. Mind you Handscomb would probably be worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't even be making that argument though as it helps excuse the selectors no matter which man they choose, neither man deserves the spot based on form but the selectors said these two in their current form are above all the rest and that should be the only talking point.

I agree but jeez it was up to Handscomb to make himself unstoppable and he hasn’t.

Handscomb can't have any complaints about being dropped, he seems steadfast in his belief that his technique is working but no way he makes the ashes squad without a change.

Agreed his stubbornness is ridiculous, technique is absolute trash

Handscomb can't have any complaints about being dropped, he seems steadfast in his belief that his technique is working but no way he makes the ashes squad without a change.
Reminds me of Maxwell saying the reverse sweep was better for him than a cover drive during his first Test stint. Maxwell eventually listened and changed his style, hope Hanners does the same.

Might be a tough one if we win the toss, the first two sessions might be the best bowling conditions for the match but if you bowl first and they get through it could be a long time in the field.

There once was a captain...

“Whenever you think of bowling...you think about and then you still bat”

Bat first. These useless donkey batsmen can grow a pair and get through a tough 2 hours

Don't look now, but to add to the absurdity of the Glenn Maxwell situation ('Elite Honesty' LOL), he's largely been in very decent form this season.

Decent form is pushing it. He’s had 1-2 half decent scores in 4 day cricket this year

Can’t recall ever starting at 11.30, certainly recall the traditional 11 am starts.
If they got through the overs within the 6 hours it could start at 11 am and not effect the broadcasters precious 6 pm news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back