Australia v India (women's: 3 ODIs, 1 Test, 3 T20Is)

Which teenager are you expecting to be the most sensational?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FIXTURES

Sep 21: First ODI, Great Barrier Reef Arena, Mackay

Sep 24: Second ODI, Great Barrier Reef Arena, Mackay (D/N)

Sep 26: Third ODI, Great Barrier Reef Arena, Mackay

Sep 30 – Oct 3: Test match, Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast (D/N)

Oct 7: First T20, Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast

Oct 9: Second T20, Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast

Oct 10: Third T20, Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast

BROADCAST DETAILS
Free-to-air TV: Seven Network, i.e. mostly (if not entirely) on 7mate
STV: Fox Cricket
Streaming: Kayo
Radio: ABC Sport

PREVIEW SUMMARY

Series
  • To be played exclusively in Queensland... we think
  • Indian and most Australian players completing a 14 day hard quarantine todayish
  • Points system confirmed (2 per win in ODIs and T20Is, 4 for a Test win) to determine overall winner of multi-format series
  • 6 months until the 2022 World Cup
Australia
  • On a 24-match ODI winning streak
  • Without experienced frontline bowlers Jess Jonassen and Megan Schutt for the series
  • Haven't played since April
India
  • Played their first Test match in 7 years during recent tour of England (managed a draw)
  • First bilateral series in Aus since 2015/16, toured here for T20 tri-series and World Cup in Feb-Mar 2020
  • Dropped from 2nd to 4th in ICC ODI rankings this year after losing 4-1 to South Africa

SQUAD DETAILS

Just the ODIs for now:
AusInd1.png
AusInd2.png

HEAD-TO-HEAD

All-time
Test: Australia lead 4-0 (with 5 draws)
ODI: Australia lead 37-9
T20I: Australia lead 14-6

Last time they met
Test: 18-20 Feb 2006, Adelaide - Australia won by an innings and 4 runs
ODI: 18 Mar 2018, Vadodara - Australia won by 97 runs
T20I: 8 Mar 2020, Melbourne - Australia won by 85 runs

Last edited:
Some thoughts on Australia's line-up.

Top 6 (Haynes, Healy, Lanning, Perry, Mooney, Gardner) is set in stone barring injury.

Going with both Molineux and Wareham ought to be an easy decision considering Jonassen's absence, although losing Schutt might prompt a thought to bring in the seasoned option of Strano despite not being like-for-like.

The conundrums mainly lie with the remaining spots for pace bowlers. I suspect Carey and Sutherland will be the first two choices, the latter possibly being rotated with McGrath (who I think should play the Test ahead of both but won't). And then I guess they'll alternate between Vlaeminck and Darcie Brown like the NZ series (and, again, I think they should both be in the Test team but probably only one will be, at most).

Haven't given any thought to Maitlan Brown because I don't know how her comeback is travelling. And I wonder if Redmayne has been the one added as batting depth for the reasons I hope and agree with (that is, she deserves it) or if she's just been picked over Villani etc. for some trivial reason (being a left-hander, for instance).

Darlington somewhat and Campbell definitely not ready for the T20I team yet (or weren't, last time I saw them), much less the ODI team, though the plan to ease them both into the national set-up is perhaps sound. Nevertheless, there's no way I'd have left out/keep leaving out Heather Graham from an 18-player squad (even if JJ and Shoota were available).

Some big wraps on Stella Campbell. I recall we gave a 17/18 year old Holly Ferling a crack in a T20 WC. She was a sensation. Do same with Campbell selectors. Speaking of Ferling. She seems to have disappeared from the scene. I recall she had back trouble but that was several years ago.
I wouldn't say Ferling has disappeared, still useful in the Nash and Bash when on the park (which has been more often in the past few years than, say, Lauren Cheatle). But never the same after those injuries had piled up by her early-20s, the elbow probably being the biggest setback.

It was the 2013 ODI WC where she got her break, didn't get many favours when it came to the T20 team.

I could speculate about what India will bring to the table throughout this series but, to me, so many selection decisions seem to come from left-field that it'd mostly be too much of a wild guess.

Therefore, at least for now, here's a new commercial...

...which is a spin on what is apparently a classic from 30 years ago:

Nice grab by Moons.

Following on from my previous comment: It would have been reasonable to expect Rodrigues to be in India's starting ODI XI, but it looks like she didn't play today (nor did Kaur, though she's under an injury cloud). Instead India went with unknown-to-me Yastika Bhatia at 4, who did score 41.

Full scorecard and more vision will be up on cricket.com.au eventually, apparently.

EDIT: scorecard here

Last edited:
3-38 on debut tells me Campbell is more than ready Teen Wolf. Wow she is a big girl and hurls the ball at a decent speed. Pick her for the Test.
Why wasn't this match telecast, at the very least live streamed by CA.

T McGrath c Mandhana b Poonam 13
T McGrath
6-0-26-0 .
We have a better all rounder than her, surely.
Surely I don't need to advance caution for extrapolating conclusions from limited figures/scores and highlights, nor what actually constitutes an international debut.

But what you might not know are the specifics for why I made that statement about Darlington and Campbell: The former was regarding her fitness; the latter regarding her composure under pressure and fielding; both because of consistency; neither because I doubt their ability to, for example, take wickets on their day.

And to elaborate on the second-half of the original comment about I made about them: The degree to which a player is deemed "ready" should not necessarily be the sole criteria for selection, perhaps especially in the circumstances of this Australian squad in this series.

Settle down. I am not being critical.
What part of my post gave you the impression that I'm anything but settled? It reads like pure clinical cricket talk to me.

Clearly you were being critical of Tahlia McGrath, and I'm pretty sure that's allowed. Were you making a good point about her though. I'm not so sure.

Campbell is only 19. Has not learnt composure under pressure yet.
Hasn't she? I included a "when I last saw them" disclaimer in my original assessment of Darlington and Campbell, which should indicate I'm aware of their age and what that may mean in terms of potential rapid development.

She is express pace
Is she? Not based on the speeds I've seen her clocked at.

But maybe she's found an extra yard for her top speed and stock ball in the last 6 months.

Take a squizz at the two minute hilite reel from the warm up match. She is express.. in female terms. Looks quicker than the injured girl. Quicker than Holly Ferling when she first came on the scene. Betting she is even quicker than Cathryn Fitzpatrick. Campbell is what Australian female cricket has been missing.. an X factor bowler.
Once again I'm not sure what gives you the impression that I wouldn't have already watched the highlights.

If you want to make big calls based on very little info, please do (and I welcome everybody else to do so as well). That said, this is a place for both opinions and spirited predictions as well as facts and reputable reports. Examples of the latter would be:
  • D. Brown, M. Brown, Perry and Vlaeminck have all been clocked at 125km/h, while the top recorded speed for Campbell and Sutherland to date is around 120km/h.
  • Campbell wouldn't have been included in the squad for this series if Belinda Vakarewa made herself available for selection.
If what you say about Campbell manifests over the next few weeks, or if it doesn't, all I've done is provide context for it.

Not surprising as a like-for-like for Carey (presumably). Beginning of the long international career I've been spruiking, albeit sooner than expected.

McGrath in as first change bowler likely, interestingly ahead of Sutherland who only got 3 overs in the practice match--perhaps not fully fit, idk.

Yastika over Rodrigues, Meghna Singh over Shikha Pandey the notable decisions there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

konkani

Cancelled
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
On 7mate and not the main channel. not good enough - is it on the radio i wonder?
Not on SEN radio, even one of the extra channels from what i can gather, yet they covered the India/Eng test series 👎👎

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Australia XI: Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy (wk), Meg Lanning (c), Ellyse Perry, Beth Mooney, Ashleigh Gardner, Tahlia McGrath, Sophie Molineux, Georgia Wareham, Hannah Darlington, Darcie Brown #AUSvIND

McGrath the weak link. @19.3 with bat a whopping @96 with ball from five ODI's. Prefer Sutherland as a like for like. I also reckon we have a better leg spinner than Wareham with Amanda- Jade Wellington. Wellington was too young when she last played internationals. She is now more mature and we all know it takes time for a leg spinner to hone their craft. If memory serves when she was about 18 Adam Gilchrist likened her to a young Shane Warne.

Not interested in what Campbell's previous speeds were. She now looks express. I will wait until I see the speed gun but betting, purely from the naked eye and experience from 30 yrs of watching cricket that she is consistently quicker than all our other quicks. The only prob I see with her and our other emerging pacers is keeping them on the park by avoiding the curse of all young bowlers.. back and other stress fractures, which allbut wrecked Holly Ferling's international career.

Jhulan Goswami . She has been around forever. Recall seeing her playing for India on our shores, must be well over a decade ago.

Last edited:

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
It's a bit weird they don't have the overs bowled by the bowler on the on-screen graphic.

Outfield looks pretty slow.

Bowling McGrath at the death lol

Good one Meg
Seemed like a weird choice when Brown still had an over and Darlington two. 225 is probably 10-15 more than I thought they would get with 10 overs to go.

Seemed like a weird choice when Brown still had an over and Darlington two. 225 is probably 10-15 more than I thought they would get with 10 overs to go.

Darlington having 2 left when she's your best death bowler is so stupid

Least getting 20 more means it won't be over in the 30th.

Back