Australia v India (women's: 3 ODIs, 1 Test, 3 T20Is)

Which teenager are you expecting to be the most sensational?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

She had a shocker first four overs but Perry is a champion and deserved later overs. Lanning also erred by giving McGrath the death overs.. and why she did not allow Darcie Brown to bowl her last and a possible fivefer is rather odd. The young debutant Hannah Darlington was also taken off after taking two vital wickets too. She looks a useful limited overs bowler in the mold of Schutt.

Perry a the death is a bad idea. I've said for a while we need to get to a stage where we use Perry for 3-5 overs max in ODI's. This will prolong her career. Brown to be fair got honked in her second last over bowling a trash load of short balls. Darlington should have bowled McGrath's overs.

Perry a the death is a bad idea. I've said for a while we need to get to a stage where we use Perry for 3-5 overs max in ODI's. This will prolong her career. Brown to be fair got honked in her second last over bowling a trash load of short balls. Darlington should have bowled McGrath's overs.
Perry opening is a bad idea as well. I'm not sure she needs to bowl to remain in the team at ODI level, and I'm not sure she is a required player in T20s.

Also I'm not sure why McGrath played, I would have preferred Australia opened the bowling with Darcie and Maitlan Brown, but I suppose that would have meant opening with two who have only played a few games between them.

Perry opening is a bad idea as well. I'm not sure she needs to bowl to remain in the team at ODI level, and I'm not sure she is a required player in T20s.

Also I'm not sure why McGrath played, I would have preferred Australia opened the bowling with Darcie and Maitlan Brown, but I suppose that would have meant opening with two who have only played a few games between them.

Dare I say it they might have gone that way had Carey being fit. Having those two then Darlington is very inexperienced. McGrath I just don’t rate if they want a sort of average all rounder play Sutherland

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I've seen Poonam once before - in the WC - but I've got to ask: does she usually bowl this slowly, or is she bowling even more slowly today?

They're more or less just waiting for the ball on the back foot, and choosing where to hit it and what to do when the ball's three quarters of the way down the pitch or after it bounces. It's not a method that'll work in India, but today there's not enough spin or dip or up/down bounce to make her hard to face and they're just milking her for runs.

She doesn't need to bat to be in either the ODI or T20 team if she gets back to her pre-hamstring form, which is a given barring more injuries.

Carey and Darlington perform the same role, and keeping a balanced lineup is the key. McGrath can swing the new or newish ball well, plus she's a good boundary hitter late in an innings so that makes her a pretty sensible selection considering the absence of Schutt and Jonassen.

If Carey is okay to play on Friday, I hope Darlington stays in and McGrath is dropped. Really impressed with Darlington's bowling today.

How McGrath is in the squad is beyond me! What is she actually good at?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She doesn't need to bat to be in either the ODI or T20 team if she gets back to her pre-hamstring form, which is a given barring more injuries.

Carey and Darlington perform the same role, and keeping a balanced lineup is the key. McGrath can swing the new or newish ball well, plus she's a good boundary hitter late in an innings so that makes her a pretty sensible selection considering the absence of Schutt and Jonassen.
I wasn't talking about Perry's batting.

I'd prefer Carey and Darlington over McGarth even if they do fill similar roles as they are better bowlers.

McGrath's batting seems irrelevant as she never gets a bat, and Wareham can do the big hitting at the end if required.

I'd prefer Carey and Darlington over McGarth even if they do fill similar roles as they are better bowlers.

McGrath's batting seems irrelevant as she never gets a bat, and Wareham can do the big hitting at the end if required.

Darlington can whack a ball with the bat too. I don’t know why we are bothering with a players batting abilities when you are talking about a number 8-9 lol!

I could understand Sutherland being picked at least she’s got some traits.

I wasn't talking about Perry's batting, clearly you were re the comment about the T20 team.

That's the kind of complacent thinking that led to them losing the 2017 WC.

Darlington can whack a ball with the bat too. I don’t know why we are bothering with a players batting abilities when you are talking about a number 8-9 lol!

I could understand Sutherland being picked at least she’s got some traits.
Well we all know it wouldn't be hard to bring up past quotes of you saying the exact opposite thing about McGrath and Sutherland.

I wasn't talking about Perry's batting, clearly you were re the comment about the T20 team.

Well we all know it wouldn't be hard to bring up past quotes of you saying the exact opposite thing about McGrath and Sutherland.

Trust me I don’t rate either one much! But I’m realistic they love Sutherland for some reason. Least she has some traits that I get.

Carey is a mile better. I’d rather pick better bowlers when talking no7-9’s. I mean come off it how many bats do we need? Whareham can bat, Carey can anyway. McGrath is just the epitome of very flipping average. Sutherland if she plus needs to bat higher and that would be an issue too.

Trust me I don’t rate either one much! But I’m realistic they love Sutherland for some reason. Least she has some traits that I get.

Carey is a mile better. I’d rather pick better bowlers when talking no7-9’s. I mean come off it how many bats do we need? Whareham can bat, Carey can anyway. McGrath is just the epitome of very flipping average. Sutherland if she plus needs to bat higher and that would be an issue too.
Carey is not a better bowler than McGrath in the front-half of an innings, and they aren't competing for the same spot.

Wareham can hit boundaries, Carey can rebuild an innings if there's a collapse. McGrath can do both, and that (along with her ability to swing the ball) is why she got a national contract. Not going to be in the best XI when everybody's available for selection and for all we know she only got picked today because Sutherland is being managed.

She is past it as a bowler, may be able to contribute 2 or 3 overs as a 7th or 8th option, but she no longer has the pace and doesn't appear to have the variety to be a threat, especially in Australian conditions.

As for T20's, the women's game has progressed greatly in the last 5 years and her batting is now a liability. Unfortunately she is probably going to open for the Sixers again this season and she will cost them a chance at the title, unless she learns to play more aggressively.

That's the kind of complacent thinking that led to them losing the 2017 WC.
Nothing complacent about my thinking, I want the best available bowlers, not mediocrity who may be a little different.

She is past it as a bowler, may be able to contribute 2 or 3 overs as a 7th or 8th option, but she no longer has the pace and doesn't appear to have the variety to be a threat, especially in Australian conditions
Either that or she's progressing through a number of stages on the way back to her 2019 form. We'll see, but it's good to know you're hoping for the best.

As for T20's, the women's game has progressed greatly in the last 5 years and her batting is now a liability. Unfortunately she is probably going to open for the Sixers again this season and she will cost them a chance at the title, unless she learns to play more aggressively.
Obviously not the case given the Sixers were well on their way to another title in WBBL|05 until her shoulder injury (went from 6-2 on top of the ladder to 7-7 missing finals).

Didn't dominate with the bat last season upon her return to the game, but otherwise you're just doing a poor job of trying to rewrite history.

Nothing complacent about my thinking, I want the best available bowlers, not mediocrity who may be a little different.
The best available bowlers get picked for each necessary role, pretty simple.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Teen Darcie Brown announcing herself. But the bloody media just have to go over the top with praise. She is only 18 and at an impressionable age. It is good to start a career with a bang but unless you have the mental aptitude to handle the pressure of expectation.. your career can go downhill very fast. Let us hope that Darcie and the other emerging Stars quicks, Campbell, Darlington and even the older Maitlan Brown, do have what it takes.

I asked a question yesterday where are all our emerging bats. Our greats Lanning, Perry and Healy are at the back end of their careers replacements will need to be identified. We look to have the next gen of pacers but, other than 17 year old Phoebe Litchfield who has had rave (over the top) media headlines.. is the cupboard empty? And with more Tests to be played in the future we will need girls with competent red ball techniques.

Ellyse Perry is a champion cricketer.. has proven that time and again. Even the elite of the elite have their ups and downs. With Lanning & Healy the three have kept Australian female cricket up there with the best Aussie teams ever. Just remember you dont knock champions.

Last edited:
We look to have the next gen of pacers but, other than 17 year old Phoebe Litchfield who has had rave (over the top) media headlines.. is the cupboard empty?
2-3 years ago it was pretty bare, in terms of young batting prospects. But I think there are at least 3 others outside the squad in their teens/early 20s now that have come through which clearly look like they have what it takes to succeed at international level--namely Courtney Webb, Rachel Trenaman and Josie Dooley.

There are a few others who I like but it will be tough for them to get a look in, keeping in mind there's also Sutherland and perhaps Molineux who will become key parts of Australia's batting line-up.

Haynes is almost certain to retire after the WC, and I've interpreted several things Healy has said in the past year or two to be possibly hinting at a not-too-distant retirement. But the other 4 of the current top 6 probably aren't going anywhere for a while.

Back