Australia v India (women's: 3 ODIs, 1 Test, 3 T20Is)

Which teenager are you expecting to be the most sensational?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Two names there I am not familiar with. Treneman is a leggie. She can obviously also handle the willow if you named her as a batsman. The other two.. in the current Shooting Stars side? Like to see more of their matches against other nations.

A big loss. She has been the quiet achiever of much of the Stars success..
You know they haven't been called the Stars for like 4 years now?

Two names there I am not familiar with. Treneman is a leggie. She can obviously also handle the willow if you named her as a batsman. The other two.. in the current Shooting Stars side? Like to see more of their matches against other nations.
Trenaman has all but given away the bowling, or so it would seem, and the standout feature on her resume at this point would be her position in the top 3 for a full-strength NSW.

Dooley (one of a couple notable young keepers--Tahlia Wilson, who had a bit of a mare last summer, being another) and Webb bat at 3 and 4 for SA, though they are from QLD and TAS respectively. The former has been picked for all the Australia A tours as Trenaman over the last few years, and all three would be named in the squad for the series running alongside the Women's Ashes if it was selected right now.

Rachel Haynes could be missing from the second ODI after being struck on the elbow during a net session. If she misses, Mooney will likely open with Healy, but it will be interesting to see what they do down the order.

Last edited:

If Georgia Redmayne doesn't play in the unlikely (according to my diagnosis) absence of Rachael Haynes then I don't know why she was added to the squad.

Based on pre-series talk, one shouldn't expect Darcie Brown to play both the Friday and Sunday game. Though I assume if she sits out either, it'd be game 3 and then Stella Campbell or Maitlan Brown will come in.

Harmanpreet Kaur will again miss, putting Jemimah Rodrigues ahead in the cue of potential inclusions. I guess India might consider dropping Shafali Verma and promoting Yastika Bhatia but that would probably be a bit of a mixed message/panic move. If the pitch is going to be anything like Tuesday's then I'd say they have to leave out Poonam Yadav--admittedly a harsh call to make on the lone wicket-taker.

konkani

Cancelled
Jan 28, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I was extremely disappointed by India's batting the other day. I would like to see some Jemimah Rodrigues today, although her ODI average of 19.8 doesn't necessarily fill me with hope.

The other thing about Rodrigues is she's had good domestic seasons in England before without carrying it on to an Australian tour in the following summer. This year in the Hundred wasn't as strong as her 2019 Super League form anyway, from memory, so I don't blame the Indian selectors for not wanting to get sucked in this time (but like the Haynes/Redmayne thing, if she's not going to play when Kaur is injured, why is she in the squad at all).

Part of me thinks India, against Australia at least, would be better off having the top 4 or 5 just play ultra aggressively and then have Mithali Raj come in at 6 to play the rescue/steadier role.

D'you fancy that working in the early to middle overs, though?
My guess is they could achieve 4/120 after 13 overs (the top 4 making 30 off 20 on average) 33% of the time with the players they have*^... so I don't fancy it working, but more favourable than the caught-in-two-minds attitude which never works.

*partly basing that on the fact that while Australia have been winning ODI series 3-0, they tend to go 2-1 in the more attacking format of T20s
^on a good batting pitch, thus it might be a moot point in the context of World Cup preparation

Aus won the toss and chose to bowl. And Carey comes in for Haynes.

Two decisions India should be happy with.

Gayakwad in for Sneh Rana their only change, so they've also thinned out their batting line-up which is gutsy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see Smriti go on with it and make a ton. Listening to the crack of the ball off her bat is a wonderful thing.
Agree, her off drives and pulls have been beautiful.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Hopefully we'll keep Raj in for a while to slow the rate down.

India should be disappointed if they don't make at least 250 from here, perhaps even 300 if someone can make a real run in the last 10.

If McGrath bowls at the death 300 is a certainty

Back