Australia v Iran - where were you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by NICK THE PIE MAN

The sad thing is though, hypothetically say we won 1-0 on Tuesday. Everyone will be cheering and celebrating, but you can't celebrate hard because its only the first leg and there is still a job to do.
I really wish 2nd leg was in Melbourne..

It's better that Australia has the first leg at home. For some reason, it's believed that it's better to have the second leg at home so that you know what you need to do to win, and you get to do it with a home ground advantage.

I'm not too sure whether it's the same for international football, but there was some analysis done with the European club competitions and they found that teams who played at home FIRST had a better winning percentage (something like 60% to 40%).

I was on a sun deck with about ten other poeple watching the game on a little portable.

When it was 2-0 everyone thought we had the game in the bag.

Don't blame Peter Hore

Blame Steve Horvat

The first goal was unlucky and off side

the second goal was just horrendous defending by Horvat. How he is in the squad again is beyond me

We were supposed to hit the town after the game - but we just felt flat and went home.

I put on the Crows v St kilda to make me feel better.

Only worse feeling was the 93 Preliminary final against Essendon.

We WILL do it this time

Viduka will score at least one!

I will be at the East End Exchange Hotel - $25 all you can drink fo three hours and a big screen TV.

Its better for us to play home first this tiem because our Team will be in Australia for enarl 2 weeks, and only have to travel once....going to Uruguay (direct flight).

Uruguay came here 4 days before the game....then they have to goto 3 countires (Argentina?, Brazil and Uruguay) to get home because all the rest of the flights are booked :).

Like Tony Palumbo said, "The tie will be decided by the better travel agent" (somethin like that)

Goddam Tony's a gun! :D

Did everyone remember how the iranians time wasted when they equalised ?

When the Oz boys get like that, and the crowd don't sgg them on. then we will be successful in international competition.

Oz aren't the best team in the world so they can either be successful, or entertaining, biut not both.

When they were 2-0 up they should have shut down, but they didn't. Even I could see some of the team was tiring and revved up by the atmosphere. The crowd was egging them on for more but defence is the key.

If tuesday is totally boring, but an effective result, then we should be happy.

And as momeone said, Uruguay are much better team than Iran.

They drew with Argentina (Oz drew with france too)

I was listening to it on radio and watchin with the sound down. My sister watched the 2nd half with me (only game of soccer she's EVER watched) I was so elated at 2-0 up and thought we were safe. I didn't think Peter Hoare's appearance would have any impact at the time, but it may have been the turning point. I knew we were in trouble when they pulled one back and the winner came as no surprise :(.

We sooooooooo need to make it and looking at our squad it looks much stronger & more experienced, look at the ones who missed out Bosnich,Agostino,Tiatto etc... However I feel the U R Gayuns are a far stronger than Iran. We need good result at the G coz it'd be almost impossible to beat them in Motivideo.

Fingers crossed!

I didn't get to see it live as I was at living in New York at the time. I saw a replay on one of the cable networks. After that I was being consoled by my French Girlfriend and her mother. They failed. I'll only forget that night once we qualify.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back