Australia v New Zealand 1st Test at Perth December 12-16

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on please explain how they are not the second worst first class side in England?

Your actual words were "second worst team in England". Once again exaggeration for effect. You know that there are more cricket teams in England than just those that just make up the 1st and 2nd division of the County Championship don't you?

Now that you have qualified your statement I'm more happy with it but just FYI you do know that they weren't 2nd worst on the Division 2 table when Australia played them don't you? They also won the T20 championship in 2018 and almost became the first team to defend the title when they played in the final again this year.

Once again the problem I had with your original statement was your use of the word trash to describe how Starc bowled in both the lead up games and the 3rd Test. If you're willing to qualify that original statement in the same way you have just now qualified your statement about Worcester we can end this back and forth now. You've already said since your original statement that he was impressive against Derbyshire with his 7 fer, so you're half way to admitting your use of the word trash was incorrect in any case. Somehow I'm almost certain your ego won't allow you to though.

Your actual words were "second worst team in England". Once again exaggeration for effect. You know that there are more cricket teams in England than just those that just make up the 1st and 2nd division of the County Championship don't you?

Now that you have qualified your statement I'm more happy with it but just FYI you do know that they weren't 2nd worst on the Division 2 table when Australia played them don't you? They also won the T20 championship in 2018 and almost became the first team to defend the title when they played in the final again this year.

Once again the problem I had with your original statement was your use of the word trash to describe how Starc bowled in both the lead up games and the 3rd Test. If you're willing to qualify that original statement in the same way you have just now qualified your statement about Worcester we can end this back and forth now. You've already said since your original statement that he was impressive against Derbyshire with his 7 fer, so you're half way to admitting your use of the word trash was incorrect in any case. Somehow I'm almost certain your ego won't allow you to though.
I had already qualified that statement when I first made it. Over the course of the season they proved to be the second worst side and what relevance is the fact they won the T20 comp got?

With the conversation on the strength of batting in different eras. If you look at India only one current batsmen would get picked if you were doing a best XI for this century.

My top 6 would be;
Sehwag
Dravid
Kohli
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly

I had already qualified that statement when I first made it. Over the course of the season they proved to be the second worst side and what relevance is the fact they won the T20 comp got?

No response to the most important part of my post I see. The whole reason we are having this debate in the first place. :arrowdown:

No response to the most important part of my post I see. The whole reason we are having this debate in the first place. :arrowdown:
I want to know what relevance a t20 comp in 2018 is to the standing of a team in 2019 county cricket?

Mate he was the worst performed bowler in the first game and average at best in the second game his form was trash and he didn’t deserve to be a first choice bowler

Those periods of domination saw some incredible individual performances by a bunch of once in a generation players who it was a privilege to watch but the cricket was often pretty boring because we absolutely twatted whoever we played.

As evidenced by the fact that the two most memorable series from that era were ones we actually lost (India 01, England 05)

I want to know what relevance a t20 comp in 2018 is to the standing of a team in 2019 county cricket?
It was mentioned as lead in to the statement about them making the final again in 2019. The T20 thing was more of an aside really since the County teams and T20 squads would be quite different. It was more a reflection on Worcester as a whole since you hold them in such low esteem and probably think the whole organisation is pathetic.

So, I've told you what you want to know. Can you indulge me by telling me what I want to know? Why did you summarise Starc's form in the tour games and the 3rd Test as trash when you've already admitted his game against Derbyshire was impressive and haven't said one word in defense of your claim that his 3rd Ashes Test performance was trash? The only bad game he had (the one you keeping harping back to) was the one where he had problems with his knee and went for scans after the game.

The way he's playing, it will be down to low 40s if not 30s by the time the series is over.

His record everywhere else outside Aus, the UAE and minnow nations is rubbish for a top batsmen.

The only thing consistent about him is the number of times he's let down the nation once getting their hopes up.

Based on one test, coming off a century 3 innings back

Christ life is a drama for any cricketer who isn’t hitting centuries every innings

Arguably the greatest modern batsman from each of Australia, New Zealand and India are all currently mid way through their careers....

Joe Root will finish right up there for the English also.

South Africa just said goodbye to their best ever test side with the retirements of of Steyn, ABD, Smith etc.

India have their best ever side.

Australia not being a mega-team doesn't automatically mean world cricket is weak.

I'd argue as a whole it's much stronger than the late 90's. India were s**t, England were s**t, New Zealand were terrible.

The likes of Sri Lanka and Pakistan were definitely stronger, and the West Indies are fairly comparable.

The big dogs are much stronger than they used to be at test level, particularly India.

I think going back a couple of years it was stronger than now but your point is a decent one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was mentioned as lead in to the statement about them making the final again in 2019. The T20 thing was more of an aside really since the County teams and T20 squads would be quite different. It was more a reflection on Worcester as a whole since you hold them in such low esteem and probably think the whole organisation is pathetic.

So, I've told you what you want to know. Can you indulge me by telling me what I want to know? Why did you summarise Starc's form in the tour games and the 3rd Test as trash when you've already admitted his game against Derbyshire was impressive and haven't said one word in defense of your claim that his 3rd Ashes Test performance was trash? The only bad game he had (the one you keeping harping back to) was the one where he had problems with his knee and went for scans after the game.
Mate he was trash in the first two games. The Derbyshire game was good without being dominant. Then when he got his chance he didn’t perform. To say his red ball form in England was anything but poor is disingenuous.

People have to remember with Williamson he has been playing test cricket since he was 19 and that will hurt his overall record. Despite showing a lot of promise early definitely don’t think he would of been picked for Australia or other stronger nations that early

People have to remember with Williamson he has been playing test cricket since he was 19 and that will hurt his overall record. Despite showing a lot of promise early definitely don’t think he would of been picked for Australia or other stronger nations that early

Agar got a debut at 19, though that was more by accident than anything if memory serves me correctly.

With the conversation on the strength of batting in different eras. If you look at India only one current batsmen would get picked if you were doing a best XI for this century.

My top 6 would be;
Sehwag
Dravid
Kohli
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly

Pujara in Ganguly out

The way he's playing, it will be down to low 40s if not 30s by the time the series is over.

His record everywhere else outside Aus, the UAE and minnow nations is rubbish for a top batsmen.

The only thing consistent about him is the number of times he's let down the nation once getting their hopes up.

Stop spamming the board with trash posts about Kane, Aman..

Cricketing lesson unnecessary --- I played cricket from Year 5 (aged 10) in Primary School until age 32. A1 Turf for 5 years. I used to listen to Ashes series on a crackly crystal set, with antenna clipped to a pipe when I was a kid and, as an opening bowler, I have some idea about short-pitched bowling etc, but you wouldn't know that so fair enough.
Still you missed my point.
The original post said: "... but I hope the captains have a chat and agree to abandon this tactic of bowling [ ] at the batsman. " which inadvertantly/comically omitted the word "short", which amused me. Having said that, I'd ask you to please re-read my post.

Thanks for the CV, I see we have similar history and association with the game.

Noted, in hindsight my specific post should of been standalone, not a response to your comments.

My advice was to primarily remind some posters on this thread that the condition and behavior of the wicket was, since around post dinner break day two, a huge factor when critiquing any batmen's performance or mode of dismissal thereafter.
Accordingly NZ's use of such conditions with their tactics of bowling at the body to leg side fields to induce false cross-bat shots, worked very well - however it's unlikely they will employ similar tactics at the MCG or SCG unless they want to give the crowds some catching practice...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back