Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

malcolm
Really interesting stats, thanks
We have 4 out of 7 of the best batsmen, and 4 out of 8 of the best bowlers. 8 out of 15, all up, and if Oz can sustain recent efforts consistently we'll soon be challenging India for top spot.
Problem: of our current batsmen, only Smith, Labuschagne and maybe Head look like they can score runs away from Oz.
That'll have to change.
Will beat India easily in Aus next year. The problem will be trying to win over there

Harris couldn’t even get runs in Australia against a terrible SL side. Burns might not be the answer but Harris sure isn’t.

Funny you say that, yet he was our best bat against the Indians that same summer, getting two 70s and from memory, was second in the Aussie averages in that series. I wouldn’t begrudge him getting another chance.

The bloke though that I see as our long term opener is Renshaw, he’s got a much better technique than another of Burns, Harris and Bancroft and seems to have a much better temperament than all three too.
If we are going to back a bloke for the long term, he’s who’d I’d slot in

Nope. I’ve defended Warner numerous times when people have said he’s s**t/a flat track bully.

Williamson is just a better player.
He's not, technically is but that means nothing when you never score when your team needs it or against good attacks away from home and feast on poor attacks, at home or with multiple lives in your 100s.

Apparently he had 3 lives in his century against England which included the worst drop in history.

I don't rate Kane above Taylor either. Taylor doesn't cash in against minnows as much but he's more than capable of scoring runs against the best bowlers in the world.

Kane is nothing more than media hype.

You guys really underrate Warner.

Sure he's a flog, but a great batsmen nonetheless.

a great batsman who averages about 34 everywhere that isn’t Australia or South Africa. And the context of his runs matters too. The guy has made a career out of scoring runs when the going is easiest. The guy is an expert at piling on runs in the second innings when the side has already established a dominant position. It says a lot that among his best 3-4 innings were a couple in Bangladesh.

a good batsman, yes, and certainly a big asset in the right circumstances. But not a great one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane is more comparable to Rahane or Shafiq than he is Smith or Kohli.

Kohli and Smith are elite players who have the drive to succeed and thirst for runs.

a great batsman who averages about 34 everywhere that isn’t Australia or South Africa. And the context of his runs matters too. The guy has made a career out of scoring runs when the going is easiest. The guy is an expert at piling on runs in the second innings when the side has already established a dominant position. It says a lot that among his best 3-4 innings were a couple in Bangladesh.

a good batsman, yes, and certainly a big asset in the right circumstances. But not a great one.
A man who can win matches on his own at home and is handy in SA is worth his weight in gold. I expect him to do better in England and play some big innings for you in England.

FYI Kane averages 36 in Aus, India, SA and England (Pujara averages 38 and Warner 34). That's probably going to drop to 34 or 35 after Sydney. Doesn't look like scoring runs.

Great - how many times does that happen out of 1000?

People thinking their eye/mind is better than multiple cameras filming at 200 fps is peak big footy.

This would just be cleared up if they showed the confidence intervals around their projections/observations but given most here can't even understand the basics that would just leave everyone more confused than they already are.
I would pay to see Warnie have to sit through a confidence interval stat lesson. I'm sick of hearing the bloke piss and moan about every single umpires call.

"hOw cAN it Be oUt aNd nOt OuT oN sAmE BaLl!??!?!" is an embarrassment from a professional whose getting paid to provide insight.

I think what you say in this post applies pretty well to Kane Williamson (albeit to a lesser extent as he hasn't done as poorly as Warner in unfamiliar conditions), lucky he doesn't play for Aus.

IMHO you are even being generous. Warner's away average is ~34 when you include South Africa. If you exclude SA, it drops to less than 30. Has there ever been a batsman of note (in recent years, at least) with such a huge difference between their home and away averages? He's the ultimate home-town bully.

I don't agree with your assessment of him piling runs in the second innings (the stats don't back it up)... he actually makes a shedload of runs batting first. But I think it's interesting when you break down his performances by toss because I think they give you an idea of the conditions. He averages 55+ when Australia wins the toss and bats first (ie, usually when batting conditions are good and he gets first crack at the pitch). When Australia loses the toss and is sent in (ie, usually when there is a little bit of juice in the wicket), he averages ~35.

FWIW, Williamson's average is 45+ away -- though, granted he has had the benefit of filling his boots somewhat against some weaker teams.

Warne is steadily turning our Aussie public against him with his stupid criticism and decades long grudges he is embarrassing himself and I loved the bloke when he was playing it really is a shame
As he's become further removed from his playing days the less sense he makes and it is a shame because undoubtedly he's the greatest I've seen.

IMHO you are even being generous. Warner's away average is ~34 when you include South Africa. If you exclude SA, it drops to less than 30. Has there ever been a batsman of note (in recent years, at least) with such a huge difference between their home and away averages? He's the ultimate home-town bully.
No there hasnt been. This was posted before the NZ series so the numbers aren't quite accurate but yes Warner has the largest difference.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 11.36.55 am.png

No there hasnt been. This was posted before the NZ series so the numbers aren't quite accurate but yes Warner has the largest difference.

View attachment 799928
I'm a Warner fan and yea it's a massive difference between his home and away avgs I hope and think he will improve but no surprise at reading those last 2 names on that list hard as nails

Look at AB, runs in places like Pakistan and the West Indies with the rest of the side collapsing around him. My favourite cricketer, not pretty but by god he was tough.
A living breathing cricket God AB changed the way we played cricket and gave us back self belief I had a couple of beers with him in the mid 90s very humble and a top fella

Remove this Banner Ad

Back