Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes his intent was to go hard at it. but it's the manner of his dismissals that is concerning. 4 from 4 from short bowling this summer, from one guy, basically caught in the exact same position from a failed pull shot.
And as they just said on the fox broadcast; since Smith was felled by Archer, he's averaged 29 against short bowling. It's becoming an issue.

He could do worse than go the way of Steve Waugh and stop playing it. For a while anyway and work on it in training with our quicks.

No it’s a good point. There should be a checklist of criteria you have to vet thoroughly before you cheer at a live sporting event

"You cheered when a wicket happened and the team is 3/600? I'm sorry sir but you have to leave, please take your belongings."

honestly it's not an issue.

I mean before that point how many short balls were bowled at him? not many percentage wise over his career.
since England started that leg side s**t and it hit him the percentage of balls being bowled at him that short leg side has increased dramatically as other side's look for any advantage they can get against him.

Of course he is going to get out more from it.

it's more a damning stat against other teams bowlers that good, line and length bowling can't get him out

Not really. If a batsman had this ridiculous record and suddenly a team gave him some trouble with, say, leg spin caught off the edge, and then lots of other teams started doing it successfully, then the natural conclusion would be that he struggles with balls spinning from leg to off and it would be an issue that needs addressing, rather than ‘its more a damning stat that other styles of bowlers don’t trouble him more.’

Pretty small sample size. Batted fine in England against short stuff when he returned.

If he starts going out in the same manner when his team desperately needs runs then I’ll be concerned.

Agreed. He got a rip snorter in the first innings but looked fine other than that.

That's why Smith has a low 2nd innings average because he goes for it most of the time.

should we declare now? have a crack at them for 10 overs, then resume in the morning while ball is still new.
I wouldn't. Declaring a third innings has two goals (IMO):
1. leave youself enough time to win
2. if possible, have enough runs that if the batting side bats through the time they have to play somewhat aggressively to win

At the moment there are more than 180 overs to go, at a reasonably slow rate they reach the target before the time is up. You aren't giving yourself more time declaring earlier, at this stage.

Paine is just being a sook, they were both fair decisions in the end.

If anything NZ should be the ones complaining about the umpiring as Erasmus incorrectly gave Paine not out and Taylor out with DRS being required to overturn them.
You calling anyone a sook is a pisser.

How do you work that? Like runs off short balls v. getting out to short balls?

Cause like if you can comfortably duck or leave a short ball, you don't score a run.
I'm not certain of the exact way they correlate the stats. It's taken from Cricviz.

Not really. If a batsman had this ridiculous record and suddenly a team gave him some trouble with, say, leg spin caught off the edge, and then lots of other teams started doing it successfully, then the natural conclusion would be that he struggles with balls spinning from leg to off and it would be an issue that needs addressing, rather than ‘its more a damning stat that other styles of bowlers don’t trouble him more.’
You don't seem to understand this place phat so let me explain. If the best player in the world has a few low scores he's absolute s.hit and should never play again..... Until his inevitable return to form and then we go back to worshipping him. LP is a pretty good example of the way things work here lol

Last edited:
Interesting stat from Chuck Berry.
Wagner is the second fastest Kiwi to get 200 wickets from Tests played.
Sir Richard Hadlee 200 wickets from 44 tests.
Wagner 200 wickets from 46 tests.63% of Wagner's wickets from short pitch delivery.Short ball works well for him.

If he starts going out in the same manner when his team desperately needs runs then I’ll be concerned.
Problem is, it would be too late at that point. But I am in the camp that he had no *s to give today considering the lopsided situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it’s a good point. There should be a checklist of criteria you have to vet thoroughly before you cheer at a live sporting event

Heck, cheer for a boundary or a wicket or something good that happens, but at least let the cheer be representative of how your team is performing.

Dont suddenly ark up and cheer incessantly for an hour as though your team is close to winning it after getting just a wicket or two while still being 400 plus behind!

You don't seem to understand this place phat so let me explain. If the best player in the world has a few low scores he's absolute s.hit and should never play again..... Until his inevitable return to form and then we go back to worshipping him again. LP is a pretty good example of the way things work here lol
Almnost BigFooty101. But that is "Every player is a gun or a spud. There is no in-bertween."

at least let the cheer be representative of how your team is performing

By that logic, every Carlton goal for the last decade and a half should have been met with a funeral procession instead of any sort of applause

Surely barracking and carrying on when your team does something cool is one of the fun things about attending live sport?

How the hell can this View attachment 798941

be explained?

Playing devils advocate - it's probably fair to a degree. NZ rolled England at home (who are pretty garbage at the moment), Australia batting stocks have been pretty garbage until the England series (even when we did have Smith and Warner), as well as having that year without Smith and Warner where we were barely better than Pakistan, and South Africa have fallen apart with retirements.

By winter next year Australia should be 2nd, but it's probably fair to say NZ are the 3rd best side in the world right now. A Bradbury 2nd rating currently, but eh, take them when you can get them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back