Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

A living breathing cricket God AB changed the way we played cricket and gave us back self belief I had a couple of beers with him in the mid 90s very humble and a top fella
1989 Ashes is still the goat Ashes as far as I'm concerned.

Warne is steadily turning our Aussie public against him with his stupid criticism and decades long grudges he is embarrassing himself and I loved the bloke when he was playing it really is a shame
Warnie gets spooked when people don't fawn over him and as Howie has seemingly extracted his nose from Shane's rear end this season Warnie can't fall back on his stupid anecdotes to disguise the fact that outside of spin theory he knows NOTHING about cricket

Also think it’s a tad harsh to use Warner’s tons in Bangladesh as a stick to whack him with. Most of our batsmen embarrassed themselves in that series, they were all at sea against the spin.

they were undoubtedly good innings’ - but Shakib aside they were hardly against the worlds best spinners so it says as much about just how bad the other batsmen were as it does about how good Warner was

Warnie gets spooked when people don't fawn over him and as Howie has seemingly extracted his nose from Shane's rear end this season Warnie can't fall back on his stupid anecdotes to disguise the fact that outside of spin theory he knows NOTHING about cricket
I've always rated him tactically it's more the constant bagging of current and former players that annoys me this latest stuff with Lyon shows how much of a hypocrite he's become as I said previously loved him as a player but thank God he's not a selector

I would pay to see Warnie have to sit through a confidence interval stat lesson. I'm sick of hearing the bloke piss and moan about every single umpires call.

"hOw cAN it Be oUt aNd nOt OuT oN sAmE BaLl!??!?!" is an embarrassment from a professional whose getting paid to provide insight.
For a great cricketer Warnie is simply a moron ..the crap that comes out of his mouth is pretty embarrassing..his calls to get Paine out of the side plus wanting Lyons dropped is incredibly stupid ..he comes across as a 15 year old adolescent.

I've always rated him tactically it's more the constant bagging of current and former players that annoys me this latest stuff with Lyon shows how much of a hypocrite he's become as I said previously loved him as a player but thank God he's not a selector
Tactically he's also inept ..ffs the way he whinged and moaned when the Aussies didn't send the kiwis back in was just plain embarrassing

When Warne talks about spin bowling - particularly leg spin, I listen with great intent. He comes across better when he talks about it, gives great insight and is a good commentator.

When Warne talks about literally anything else, he is one of the worst commentators on the network.

For a great cricketer Warnie is simply a moron ..the crap that comes out of his mouth is pretty embarrassing..his calls to get Paine out of the side plus wanting Lyons dropped is incredibly stupid ..he comes across as a 15 year old adolescent.
He watched Starc bowl for an over about five years ago and declared loudly that Mitch's body language was too timid. The media picked it up and everyone went to town on young Mitch. I mean what ex player does that?

Ponting on the other hand is always talking from a personal playing perspective. Never from a vindictive, attention seeking level. He always provides context to what he's saying and talks without ego. Which is the exact opposite of what I expected from them both when they retired so I'm happy to be wrong in this case. Warne was my hero but now I hope he finds a new hobby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For this iteration at least. I'm guessing it will always be a pre-determined location, otherwise a variety iof dates would need to be left open.
I expect Eden Gardens the next time around.
Just saying
If it Aust and England the poms get a home ground. But the umpires must be independent so we do not get the best

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The match was over by then and my post that he responded to was just saying that Blundell should've been MOTM instead of Head which isn't that outrageous as Blundell scored his hundred as an opener against a better bowling attack but the MOTM usually goes to a player on the winning side so it wasn't surprising that Head got it.
Heads innings changed the game. Blundell do not so easy decision really

I don’t mind Warne. Yes he gets a little silly at times and probably over-commentates, but his knowledge of the game is sound and he isn’t afraid to offer his opinion.

Much prefer that to someone like Slats or Healy who say a lot whilst also saying very little.

I disagreed with his opinion re the follow on (tbh, it’s a bad decision to not enforce it about 0% of the time, but that’s another story) but at least he’s prepared to call something out then not back down from it.

I don’t mind Warne. Yes he gets a little silly at times and probably over-commentates, but his knowledge of the game is sound and he isn’t afraid to offer his opinion.

Much prefer that to someone like Slats or Healy who say a lot whilst also saying very little.

I disagreed with his opinion re the follow on (tbh, it’s a bad decision to not enforce it about 0% of the time, but that’s another story) but at least he’s prepared to call something out then not back down from it.

When he's talking about bowling tactics or even tactical plans for particular batters, he shows he has a good understanding of the game.

His problem, from my point of view, is that he often acts like a dickhead when he pushes his opinions. I don't think he'd make a very good selector but he goes on and on about selection issues that impact an individual but don't assist the team. No problem with him having an opinion, no matter what it is but if he dialled it back some and made his points logically while openly accepting that others can put up a different view, then he'd be much more credible.

He just strikes me as "I'm right. I'm always right" and he's inflexible. He doesn't know when to shut up.

they were undoubtedly good innings’ - but Shakib aside they were hardly against the worlds best spinners so it says as much about just how bad the other batsmen were as it does about how good Warner was
Do we then ignore Hayden record score. Even worse it was at home. Have to consider the whole package not nitpick it

Do we then ignore Hayden record score. Even worse it was at home. Have to consider the whole package not nitpick it

well I actually tend to. Hayden was Warner’s spiritual predecessor. Averaged 39 away from home and that was pampered by one absolutely admittedly amazing series in india

IMHO you are even being generous. Warner's away average is ~34 when you include South Africa. If you exclude SA, it drops to less than 30. Has there ever been a batsman of note (in recent years, at least) with such a huge difference between their home and away averages? He's the ultimate home-town bully.

I don't agree with your assessment of him piling runs in the second innings (the stats don't back it up)... he actually makes a shedload of runs batting first. But I think it's interesting when you break down his performances by toss because I think they give you an idea of the conditions. He averages 55+ when Australia wins the toss and bats first (ie, usually when batting conditions are good and he gets first crack at the pitch). When Australia loses the toss and is sent in (ie, usually when there is a little bit of juice in the wicket), he averages ~35.

FWIW, Williamson's average is 45+ away -- though, granted he has had the benefit of filling his boots somewhat against some weaker teams.
Last I checked South Africa was ‘away’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back