Australia v New Zealand 3rd test at the SCG Jan 3 -7

Remove this Banner Ad

Southee took nine wickets in Perth...
Yes, with the pink ball..

Do you really expect him to take wickets with the red ball bowling at 120 clicks? Not including the soft wickets he took in Melbourne when the Aussies were looking for quick runs.

In searing heat.

I’m beginning to think you just look for any reason to downplay good Kiwi performances.

I take your point about how penetrating he can be, but his performance in Perth was meritorious.

I'd like to see Somerville, Henry and Jamieson in the team for Santner, Boult and Southee.

Knowing Kane and Stead, Somerville and Henry (forced change) will be the change. Yes they tend to plan tactically well (this series has been diabolical though) but when it comes to selecting the best XI they're usually off. It took them most of the world cup to realize Munro wasn't going to score any runs and still chose to take Raval to Australia when anyone with eyes could tell he was in terrible touch and would be a walking wicket.

Southee has proven to be ineffective in these conditions and has been bowling s**t for years but is undroppable. Always seems to take a bag of wickets when his spot comes under contention.
whatever changes are made until williamson and taylor re-capture some form it matters little.

In searing heat.

I’m beginning to think you just look for any reason to downplay good Kiwi performances.

I take your point about how penetrating he can be, but his performance in Perth was meritorious.
I just don't see him offering much, we'd be better off giving someone like a Jamieson a run. Series is lost and we're probably going to lose 0-3 with or without Southee. May as well see what he's got to offer and see if he can be someone NZC can invest in.

It's not downplaying his perofrmances, it's just that D/N cricket and Test cricket with the red ball are different. You will get the pink ball to move around more than the red ball in Aus. So you cannot really carry that through and use it as a gauge of performance for the rest of the series which are played with the red ball. Look no further than Starc who looks unbelievable with the pink ball and is wayward with the red ball.

Southee isn't the most popular among a lot of NZ fans (he has a reputation of being undroppable despite many wanting him gone), he lacks pace and we cannot really afford to have two bowlers who are heavily reliant on the ball moving. Boult and Southee are pretty useless when the ball isn't moving around, it's why Wagner has taken so many wickets. He isn't competing with anyone for wickets on flat wickets/once the ball is older.

Last edited:
whatever changes are made until williamson and taylor re-capture some form it matters little.
Taylor will come good, he's still looked good only has gotten out trying to dominate.

Kane on the other hand looks mentally checked out. Not sure if that's really a form thing.

Taylor will come good, he's still looked good only has gotten out trying to dominate.

Kane on the other hand looks mentally checked out. Not sure if that's really a form thing.

Mentally checked out I severely doubt. Based on one poor choice of shot?

Taylor’s 80 in Perth was a beautiful knock. Completely dominated Lyon until his dismissal.

Williamson looked his unflustered self up until the freak Smith catch dismissed him too. Has looked off the boil since.

Forgive me if I'm wrong Mods and apologies for being the hallway monitor gents but BF rules state that constantly moaning about a player being useless day after day is against the rules of this place. Any chance of asking Dragonball Z over there to find a new topic because he's made his point 300000 times

Forgive me if I'm wrong Mods and apologies for being the hallway monitor gents but BF rules state that constantly moaning about a player being useless day after day is against the rules of this place. Any chance of asking Dragonball Z over there to find a new topic because he's made his point 300000 times
Moaning about a player over and over is a time honoured tradition for those who tread these boards. Like Ian Chappell banging on about Les Favell or who should bat first drop.

Moaning about a player over and over is a time honoured tradition for those who tread these boards. Like Ian Chappell banging on about Les Favell or who should bat first drop.
What was Chapelli's beef with Les Flavell?

Would like to hear Warne and Chappell commentate together. Actually throw in Dermie and it would be like shaking a can of marbles in your ear.
Three of the best we've ever had but, as commentators they're up there with the ' dribbler of dung' Fleming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be tough on our players but you can't blame me with the way the batsmen have performed this series. Kane there's frustration there because of how people go on about his batting only for him to not deliver when the lights are at their brightest. The first Test you could give the batsmen a pass, but excluding Blundell they didn't show much in the 2nd Test. Sure Latham scored a 50 but that was after a dropped catch and he never really looked settled.

Outside Santner and Southee not being a good pick in these conditions, I don't have much issue with the bowlers. Wagner has been immense and carried our attack.

With that said, you have to appreciate the quality cricket Aus have played. This could be the next great Aussie team, all they need to do is replace Wade with a good prospect and they will dominate and likely reach world number 1 within the next few years.

Quite the opposite. Think "Get him up here, I want to boof him"
AHH I see. Just assumed it was beef because I don't think I've ever heard Ian Chappell say a nice thing about anyone since I started listening to him a decade ago lol

Mentally checked out I severely doubt. Based on one poor choice of shot?
Based on body language. Call it fatigue due to an overload of cricket, the tough last year or losing passion for the game.

McCullum said the same thing earlier, he's talked to Kane and would have a better idea of where he is.

I love the legend of New Zealand...
I love the tenacity and the rough but smooth nature..
I love the life and the way of the Kiwi...

riding on the kiwi, riding on 4th avenue, riding the Auckland, riding on the Queenstown...
just doing my best..
sorry it was a little bit too late... you're gonna get busted... :p

Hope we go in unchanged (think we will), but wouldn't mind trav moving up to 5. I actually think they (head and Wade) suit each other's positions better with regards to the types of batsmen that they are. Wade is excellent at scoring quick runs and thus would be better for batting with the tail, and head is more your conventional test bat. If sweppo gets a gig then I'm sure they'll have their reasons and I love watching blokes make their debut if they've deserved it

Hope we go in unchanged (think we will), but wouldn't mind trav moving up to 5. I actually think they (head and Wade) suit each other's positions better with regards to the types of batsmen that they are. Wade is excellent at scoring quick runs and thus would be better for batting with the tail, and head is more your conventional test bat. If sweppo gets a gig then I'm sure they'll have their reasons and I love watching blokes make their debut if they've deserved it
I am of the dubious opinion that the top four spots are key to any key cricket position.
So Warner, Smith, Burns, Wade, and Paine.. are my free picks.
the rest can gather their wits and redesign their attitude...

Wagner would have to be the most over rated cricketer since Richard Hadlee.
At least Hadlee bowled at the stumps and not short wide s**t that bored batsmen and spectators to death.

hunker down dudes... we're in for playing with a rattle snake..
Mate the only reason the test lasted four days was because Australia spent half the test waiting for balls close enough to get a bat on.

They already have two seam bowlers sitting in reserve in Henry and Jamieson. If their had a jewel back in NZ, they would have been sent over already. The absurdity of continuing to not pick either of their two best spinners (Somerville & Patel) purely because it's not spin friendly conditions had to stop. Santner averages nearly 20 runs worse at both FC and test level to Somerville. NZ's selections were crazy and they should have been getting a heap of crap from day 1 from Australian cricket journalists who should have been aware of at least Somerville, if not Patel. One of Patel/Somerville should have been sent over when Ferguson went back. Better late than never I suppose.
A mate told me Henry Nicholls got his brother the media manager gig for the team (could someone confirm) so perhaps it's a boys club there? Santner isn't a test spinner that's abundantly clear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back