Australia v New Zealand 3rd test at the SCG Jan 3 -7

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
New Zealand has turned to Will Somerville for his experience of playing in Sydney as it looks to avoid a whitewash in the third and final Test against Australia.

Off-spinner Somerville, who was raised in Australia and New Zealand and has played Sheffield Shield cricket for New South Wales, will replace injured pace bowler Trent Boult for the Test starting in Sydney on Friday.

Coach Gary Stead said the inclusion of the lanky 1.93 metre Somerville was a nod to the expected conditions at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

NZ have a real conundrum for Sydney. Surely they would like to go to a six batsmen line-up, but the bowling available might not allow it.

If they play two spinners (probably not a good idea given how the presumed #1 has performed and Astle's record isn't flash either) that leaves one of Southee or de Grandhomme as the second seamer.
Ferguson, Boult, Wagner and a spinner looks a much better for Australian conditions than anything they will actually have available. Its not quite the hit Sri Lanka took last summer but it rips the heart out of the attack.

Can Southee, a good bowler for most conditions but not Aus, be effective in Sydney? Maybe if its humid and the ball swings. Or is de Grandhomme the second seamer. Hardly wicket-taking but can control an end.

Even if Williamson and Taylor come good with the bat, and they certainly both have the ability, I can't get an NZ line-up thast doesn't look very weak with the ball. Someone who knows their team better might be able to.

Surely Australia doesn't make changes. I would understand the wish to blood Swepson in a dead rubber, but I firmly beieve Test seklection is about the best available eleven to win the next match. The future takes care of itself if the Shield is running properly and selectors are prepared to drop and recall on form, regardless of age.

After twelve tests and a World Cup this year, it’ll be a slow year for Australian cricket fans. Just seven tests I believe. T20 World Cup is something but this calendar year does not get me excited.

Yep 8 tests between now and January 2021 (7 in 2020 including NZ, 2 against Bangladesh, 1 against Afghanistan and 3 against India)

JANUARY 2020
Three ODIs v India

FEBRUARY 2020
Two Tests against Bangladesh

FEBRUARY-MARCH 2020
Three ODIs, three T20s v South Africa

MARCH 2020
Three T20s v New Zealand

JUNE 2020
Three ODIs against Zimbabwe

JULY 2020
Three ODIs, three T20s v England

OCTOBER 2020
Three T20s v West Indies
Three T20s v India

OCTOBER-NOVEMBER 2020
WORLD TWENTY20 IN AUSTRALIA

NOVEMBER 2020
One Test v Afghanistan

NOVEMBER 2020-JANUARY 2021
Fours Tests, three ODIs v India

Love to see Paine carry on his form tbh. Head as well. Hopefully Lyon enjoys a bit more spin at Sydney too. Should be all over at lunch day four at the latest I'd say. Somerville can be as tall as he likes, it's not going to help their batting

Day two of the Sydney Test shapes as the biggest smoke challenge for cricket officials with temperatures expected to soar and hazy conditions forecast.

More attention is likely to be on the air than the ground for Australia’s third encounter with New Zealand as the NSW bushfire crisis rolls on.

Yep 8 tests between now and January 2021 (7 in 2020 including NZ, 2 against Bangladesh, 1 against Afghanistan and 3 against India)

JANUARY 2020
Three ODIs v India

FEBRUARY 2020
Two Tests against Bangladesh

FEBRUARY-MARCH 2020
Three ODIs, three T20s v South Africa

MARCH 2020
Three T20s v New Zealand

JUNE 2020
Three ODIs against Zimbabwe

JULY 2020
Three ODIs, three T20s v England

OCTOBER 2020
Three T20s v West Indies
Three T20s v India

OCTOBER-NOVEMBER 2020
WORLD TWENTY20 IN AUSTRALIA

NOVEMBER 2020
One Test v Afghanistan

NOVEMBER 2020-JANUARY 2021
Fours Tests, three ODIs v India

That Bangladesh tour is now officially set for June/July.

On U FEEL PRIME using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see any logic in replacing Boult with Somerville. It's hardly a like for like replacement and would leave their pace attack very thin and exposed. Wagner aside, their bowlers haven't been particularly worrisome for the Australian side.

With both Ferguson and Boult out, they need another genuine paceman to back up Wagner. Wagner at one end and either Southee, DeGrandhomme or Santner at the other is hardly a threatening combination. One quality bowler isn't enough to build pressure on the Aussie bats. They can play cautiously against Wagner and then relieve any scoring pressure against the lesser bowlers. Maybe they need to bring someone else from home, assuming they've got someone.

Playing two spinners isn't really a great option as the SCG isn't the spinner's wicket it was in the past. Same applies to Australia (sorry Warnie but no)

NZ hasn't really been competitive at all this tour and the suggestion of Somerville for Boult is likely to improve things. In fact, I think it would be comfortably worse. If they did that they would want Australia to bat last on an up and down wicket but I can't see the test going that far with that lineup. Three days might be closer.

They must have somebody at home who is prepared to have a real dig, even if inexperienced. I don't remember Somerville much but is he really much of an upgrade on Santner. Mind you Santner has managed to set a pretty low bar, so he'd have to be a good chance.

Their batting has improved but not enough to have an impact unless the top order starts to match the efforts of the tail. So far, with very few exceptions, the top order has been abysmal and you just don't win games with a weakened attack and an underperforming top order

They already have two seam bowlers sitting in reserve in Henry and Jamieson. If their had a jewel back in NZ, they would have been sent over already. The absurdity of continuing to not pick either of their two best spinners (Somerville & Patel) purely because it's not spin friendly conditions had to stop. Santner averages nearly 20 runs worse at both FC and test level to Somerville. NZ's selections were crazy and they should have been getting a heap of crap from day 1 from Australian cricket journalists who should have been aware of at least Somerville, if not Patel. One of Patel/Somerville should have been sent over when Ferguson went back. Better late than never I suppose.

They already have two seam bowlers sitting in reserve in Henry and Jamieson. If their had a jewel back in NZ, they would have been sent over already. The absurdity of continuing to not pick either of their two best spinners (Somerville & Patel) purely because it's not spin friendly conditions had to stop. Santner averages nearly 20 runs worse at both FC and test level to Somerville. NZ's selections were crazy and they should have been getting a heap of crap from day 1 from Australian cricket journalists who should have been aware of at least Somerville, if not Patel. One of Patel/Somerville should have been sent over when Ferguson went back. Better late than never I suppose.

Yeah fair enough.

Who would you opt for to replace Boult?

Bring in Somerville for Santner could be the go but I don't know how good he is either in the field or with the bat. Is it possible that Santner got the nod for his fielding (good) and batting (not too shabby at times)?

Yeah fair enough.

Who would you opt for to replace Boult?

Bring in Somerville for Santner could be the go but I don't know how good he is either in the field or with the bat. Is it possible that Santner got the nod for his fielding (good) and batting (not too shabby at times)?

he and Watling basically won a test for NZ in the england series with their batting so that temporarily papered over how excruciatingly dog shlt Santner is with the ball

he and Watling basically won a test for NZ in the england series with their batting so that temporarily papered over how excruciatingly dog shlt Santner is with the ball

Yeah,maybe.

The first test should have been a pretty clear indication that he's not up to it and even the Kiwi selectors must surely realise that English conditions just do not translate to Australian conditions. They might correspond closer in EnZed but no way in Oz

Somerville goes straight in if they want to actually pick their best team. he's clearly now their best spinner in the squad. if they want two spinners, todd astle will have to come in for santner and somerville would then be a straight swap for boult.

latham
blundell
kane
taylor
nicholls
watling
de Grandhoome
astle
southee
somerville
wagner

i find that a bit boring though. i would bring in somerville and one of henry and jamieson. i assume they would pick henry but they might decide to go with new blood, given henry's problems converting his talent to test level thus far

so

latham
blundell
kane
taylor
nicholls
watling
de Grandhoome
southee
henry
somerville
wagner

southee at 8 isn't ideal but honestly, you pick batsmen to score runs and bowlers to take wickets. henry and somerville are perfectly capable at 9 and 10. the bowling attack they should have been picking in the first place is that one but with boult in for henry.

Somerville goes straight in if they want to actually pick their best team. he's clearly now their best spinner in the squad. if they want two spinners, todd astle will have to come in for santner and somerville would then be a straight swap for boult.

latham
blundell
kane
taylor
nicholls
watling
de Grandhoome
astle
southee
somerville
wagner

i find that a bit boring though. i would bring in somerville and one of henry and jamieson. i assume they would pick henry but they might decide to go with new blood, given henry's problems converting his talent to test level thus far

so

latham
blundell
kane
taylor
nicholls
watling
de Grandhoome
southee
henry
somerville
wagner

southee at 8 isn't ideal but honestly, you pick batsmen to score runs and bowlers to take wickets. henry and somerville are perfectly capable at 9 and 10. the bowling attack they should have been picking in the first place is that one but with boult in for henry.

That second XI would be the best team they’ve named all series. They’re frustrating as *, because that top 6 is genuine quality - no reason they shouldn’t be scoring 350+ first innings.

Henry has a gorgeous action, love watching him bowl.

7 Tests for a in a 12 month period, excuse me if I can't get around T20 cricket as I see this form of the game being the primary cause.

As for the test in Sydney, Australia really should be going in unchanged assuming Hoff isn't fit which I doubt he is.

I'd like to see Somerville, Henry and Jamieson in the team for Santner, Boult and Southee.

Knowing Kane and Stead, Somerville and Henry (forced change) will be the change. Yes they tend to plan tactically well (this series has been diabolical though) but when it comes to selecting the best XI they're usually off. It took them most of the world cup to realize Munro wasn't going to score any runs and still chose to take Raval to Australia when anyone with eyes could tell he was in terrible touch and would be a walking wicket.

Southee has proven to be ineffective in these conditions and has been bowling s**t for years but is undroppable. Always seems to take a bag of wickets when his spot comes under contention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back