T20I Australia v Pakistan women - 3 ODIs, 3 T20Is

Remove this Banner Ad

Men's game will pay for that, crowds will be empty and tv numbers will suck
I think they will get decent crowd numbers, the recent Australia/India T-20 series attracted 45,000+ to one of the games.

Men's game will pay for that, crowds will be empty and tv numbers will suck
Umm... it's already been paid for. By the billionaires who bought the franchises. That was the point of the auction.

I think for Australias purposes, they should go into the final game if they win the toss. Is to get against the 'easy bashing' and bat 1st.

Its their last meaningful preparation before the T20 World Cup. You want to get your batters in a good groove batting 1st before the tournament.

Of all the countries also dare I say it, there seems to be a large gap difference in terms of how well they perform on the global stage. Pakistan men are a very good side, and the women are horrible. Dare I say it they may have the highest variance?

Of all the countries also dare I say it, there seems to be a large gap difference in terms of how well they perform on the global stage.
Well it's taken 12 pages, but you've finally said something vaguely accurate.

The point I think im trying to bring up is, it would have been a more entertaining game in the first two games of this series, had Australia bat first- mainly because Pakistan were a horror to watch anyway.

At the end of the day people will say it should be about 'winning anyway', and rightfully so. Ive watched cricket for 31 years and the womens game is growing but Id still say its still a long way behind the men's game. Having more nations that are competitive , can be only good for the womens game.

Are they playing crowd sounds?

Loud cheers and clapping but whenever they pan to the stadium its legit empty?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Australian woman's cricket side is as dominant as that All Black's (mens) union side circa 2002 - 2007, Australian (mens) cricket side (2000 - 2004), USA mens basketball team (1996 - 2004) and perhaps even Italy (mens) soccer team (2019 - 2022).

Probably others of yesteryear but these are examples of sheer dominance in there chosen sport. Australian woman's cricket is so far ahead of the pack it's not an even playing field.

Are they playing crowd sounds?

Loud cheers and clapping but whenever they pan to the stadium its legit empty?
Much like when the men played at Metricon the crowd at Hobart was all in one stand.

Mooney channeling her inner Steve Smith in not acknowledging the applause of the crowd and teammates when dismissed.

Must say it is disappointing the number of times in both men’s and women’s cricket the number of times batters ignoring the applause of teammates and crowd when dismissed.

I don't know what anybody expects a player to do for an innings of 46.

They all sign autographs and pose for photos after the game, until--or even when--the lights go out, if need be. That shows you what it's all about.

They all sign autographs and pose for photos after the game, until--or even when--the lights go out, if need be. That shows you what it's all about.
Well I'll admit I dont read the game as you do.

I thought Mooney would get more than 46 runs.

1674785842261.png

My comment was a more general comment regarding lack of batters acknowledging crowd applause.

The suspense was killing me, so I went ahead and did some predictions to attempt to find out who is going to win the Belinda Clark Award.

For T20I player of the year, I came up with McGrath (who won the respective ICC award) tying with Mooney. If they give votes for the washouts that happened in Ireland (not sure they will), I'm predicting Gardner to make it a three-way tie in that format. All with identical 3-2-1 vote breakdowns.

For ODI player of the year, I think Lanning is going to win. For the BCA, I'll even go a step further and say she will definitely win (which will be her fourth), and it'll be described as a surprise result by the media (since she missed the series in India, but remember T20Is are worth less votes).

The reason for my confidence about that is due to the votes for the Ashes Test, in which I predicted the POTM going to Sutherland in a highly debatable call. Didn't give the maximum votes to Lanning, who was top-scorer of the match for Aus, and she still finished first in the overall count.

PREDICTION (weighted Test, ODI & T20I votes in brackets)
70 Lanning (12, 42, 16)
64 Mooney (0, 36, 28)
46 Gardner (0, 18, 28)
40 McGrath (0, 12, 28)
39 Perry (0, 27, 12)
39 Sutherland (18, 21, 0)
34 Healy (0, 30, 4)
33 King (0, 9, 24)
27 Haynes (6, 21, 0)
25 Brown (0, 21, 4)
15 Litchfield (0, 15, 0)
15 Schutt (0, 9, 6)
14 Harris (0, 0, 14)
14 Jonassen (0, 6, 8)
4 Carey (0, 0, 4)
4 Graham (0, 0, 4)
3 Wellington (0, 3, 0)

Part of my guesses also include some assumptions about how the voting and weighting exactly works. And for those wondering, the recent ODIs against Pakistan apparently do count but the T20Is fall outside the window.

While we hold out hope for the rain to stay away in Canberra today...

National women's team – days of international cricket scheduled in Australia since the inaugural WBBL season
23 QLD (13 Allan Border Field, 7 Carrara Stadium, 3 Mackay)
19 NSW (12 North Sydney Oval, 4 Coffs Harbour, 2 SCG, 1 Sydney Showground)
15 ACT (all Manuka Oval)
11 VIC (7 Junction Oval, 3 MCG, 1 Geelong)
6 SA (5 Adelaide Oval, 1 Karen Rolton Oval)
3 TAS (all Bellerive Oval)
2 WA (both WACA)
0 NT

... well, Adelaide had three T20Is last year, but ruined two of them with their typical wet weather. The WACA is currently not fit for international cricket, but there's no possible other stadium in Perth to play at. And the last 5 women's internationals in Melbourne have all been sell outs, meaning greater security costs which obviously CA wanted to avoid this season.

Facetiousness aside, we are coming up on 150 years since organised women's cricket was first played in Australia. There better be a decent effort put into some sort of commemorative match next season in Bendigo, where it all began.

I
While we hold out hope for the rain to stay away in Canberra today...

National women's team – days of international cricket scheduled in Australia since the inaugural WBBL season
23 QLD (13 Allan Border Field, 7 Carrara Stadium, 3 Mackay)
19 NSW (12 North Sydney Oval, 4 Coffs Harbour, 2 SCG, 1 Sydney Showground)
15 ACT (all Manuka Oval)
11 VIC (7 Junction Oval, 3 MCG, 1 Geelong)
6 SA (5 Adelaide Oval, 1 Karen Rolton Oval)
3 TAS (all Bellerive Oval)
2 WA (both WACA)
0 NT

... well, Adelaide had three T20Is last year, but ruined two of them with their typical wet weather. The WACA is currently not fit for international cricket, but there's no possible other stadium in Perth to play at. And the last 5 women's internationals in Melbourne have all been sell outs, meaning greater security costs which obviously CA wanted to avoid this season.

Facetiousness aside, we are coming up on 150 years since organised women's cricket was first played in Australia. There better be a decent effort put into some sort of commemorative match next season in Bendigo, where it all began.

I
I highly doubt they would ever play an international women fixture at Bendigo as much as I am in support of regional games around Australia. You obviously must be from Bendigo? It would be a tourism boost and a boost to the economy hosting a fixture there like Albury did in the BBL this summer, or a game in Coffs Harbour. Why Benidgo? Whats Bendigo got that makes CA want to go there? Ive also never visited Bendigo before, in all seriousness what is there to do there? (and I'm not trying to rub salt into the people of Bendigo but this a genuine question) . I don't think I've met anyone that has said "I want to go to Bendigo for a holiday." or " I want to go to Bendigo for work". The Western Bulldogs have played a few fixtures at Ballarat, so I guess that town would have runs on the board for more sporting fixtures. I don't know the exact form guide of Benidgo as a town/city.

I also think Perth has 2 other stadiums that arent used much but have cricket at BBL and WBBL level played before- Perth Stadium and Lilac Hill.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they would ever play an international women fixture at Bendigo as much as I am in support of regional games around Australia. You obviously must be from Bendigo? It would be a tourism boost and a boost to the economy hosting a fixture there like Albury did in the BBL this summer, or a game in Coffs Harbour. Why Benidgo? Whats Bendigo got that makes CA want to go there? Ive also never visited Bendigo before, in all seriousness what is there to do there? (and I'm not trying to rub salt into the people of Bendigo but this a genuine question) . I don't think I've met anyone that has said "I want to go to Bendigo for a holiday." or " I want to go to Bendigo for work". The Western Bulldogs have played a few fixtures at Ballarat, so I guess that town would have runs on the board for more sporting fixtures. I don't know the exact form guide of Benidgo as a town/city.
I'm not from Bendigo (can't remember the last time I was even near there). Australian women's cricket was born in Bendigo, hence the suggestion to recognise the 150th anniversary.

Is it possible to play women's international cricket at Queen Elizabeth Oval, for the first time since 1985 (when then captain, now hall-of-famer, Raelee Thompson took 5fa in the 1st innings of a 7-wicket Test victory over England)? Could the WBBL return for the first time since the 2016 super over thriller between the Gades and Canes?

I don't know. But I was deliberately vague, and said "commemorative match". If not an official First Class or List A or T20 match, then certainly an exhibition game featuring the country's current top players (and maybe past greats and future stars) must be held there next summer.

I also think Perth has 2 other stadiums that arent used much but have cricket at BBL and WBBL level played before- Perth Stadium and Lilac Hill.
I think we are all well aware of Perth Stadium. That would be what I was indicating by saying "facetiousness aside"...

On a note of indistinguishable relativity, and keeping in mind they'll never do Australia v Australia A, here's 'my' idea (that is, to rip off somebody's idea for something else) for an annual game:

City XI
Alyssa Healy+ Sydney, NSW
Meg Lanning* Sydney, NSW; Melbourne, VIC
Ellyse Perry Sydney, NSW
Tahlia McGrath Adelaide, SA
Ashleigh Gardner Sydney, NSW
Annabel Sutherland Melbourne, VIC
Heather Graham Perth, WA
Nicola Carey Sydney, NSW
Amanda-Jade Wellington Adelaide, SA
Alana King Melbourne, VIC
Megan Schutt Adelaide, SA

Reserves
Stella Campbell Sydney, NSW
Hannah Darlington Sydney, NSW
Josie Dooley Brisbane, QLD
Molly Strano Melbourne, VIC
Elyse Villani Melbourne, VIC
Country XI
Beth Mooney+ Shepparton, VIC; Hervey Bay, QLD
Georgia Redmayne Alstonville, NSW
Phoebe Litchfield Orange, NSW
Erin Burns Wollongong, NSW
Grace Harris Ipswich, QLD
Sophie Molineux Bairnsdale, VIC
Kim Garth Dublin, Ireland
Jess Jonassen* Rockhampton, QLD
Georgia Wareham Mortlake, VIC
Darcie Brown Kapunda, SA
Tayla Vlaeminck Bendigo, VIC

Reserves
Maitlan Brown Wingham, NSW
Lauren Cheatle Bowral, NSW
Bridget Patterson Kangaroo Island, SA
Georgia Voll Toowoomba, QLD
Courtney Webb Launceston, TAS

Hopefully I've got everybody's origin vaguely correct, otherwise red shall my face be. And yes, in an attempt to maintain optimal competitiveness, players from outside the 5 major capitals are deemed to be Country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back