Australia v South Africa 1st ODI @ Perth Stadium.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Australia Squad

Aaron Finch (C)
Josh Hazlewood (vc)
Alex Carey (vc)
Ashton Agar
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Pat Cummins
Travis Head
Chris Lynn
Shaun Marsh
Glenn Maxwell
D'Arcy Short
Marcus Stoinis
Mitchell Starc
Adam Zampa

SA Squad

Faf du Plessis
Farhaan Behardian
Quinton de Kock
Reeza Hendricks
Imran Tahir
Heinrich Klaasen
Aiden Markram
David Miller
Chris Morris
Lungi Ngidi
Andile Phehlukwayo
Dwaine Pretorius
Kagiso Rabada
Tabraiz Shamsi
Dale Steyn

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty decent line-up considering the options

1. Aaron Finch (C)
2. D'Arcy Short
3. Chris Lynn
4. Shaun Marsh
5. Travis Head/Glenn Maxwell
6. Marcus Stoinis
7. Alex Carey (wk)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Adam Zampa
11. Josh Hazlewood

Or you could open with Carey to allow both Maxwell & Stoinis to play in the same side:
1. Aaron Finch (C)
2. Alex Carey (wk)
3. Chris Lynn
4. Shaun Marsh
5. Travis Head
6. Glenn Maxwell
7. Marcus Stoinis
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Adam Zampa
11. Josh Hazlewood

No major surprises in the squad
Pretty decent line-up considering the options

1. Aaron Finch (C)
2. D'Arcy Short
3. Chris Lynn
4. Shaun Marsh
5. Travis Head/Glenn Maxwell
6. Marcus Stoinis
7. Alex Carey (wk)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Adam Zampa
11. Josh Hazlewood

Or you could open with Carey to allow both Maxwell & Stoinis to play in the same side:
1. Aaron Finch (C)
2. Alex Carey (wk)
3. Chris Lynn
4. Shaun Marsh
5. Travis Head
6. Glenn Maxwell
7. Marcus Stoinis
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Adam Zampa
11. Josh Hazlewood
I’d be tempted to play both Maxwell and Stoinis over Marsh personally

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No major surprises in the squad

I’d be tempted to play both Maxwell and Stoinis over Marsh personally
Fair point, his form hasn't been the best of late and can understand if he's left out.

I'd probably get laughed for saying this but S Marsh hasn't had a heap of opportunities in the limited overs sides and imo I think he's a much better white ball cricketer than he is a test cricketer. Decent average for the times he's been picked and also scored 2 100's in his past 5 ODI's. I certainly understand the criticism of him in the long form though.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Head also has the ability to open if need be for team balance

1. Aaron Finch (C)
2. Travis Head
3. Chris Lynn
4. Shaun Marsh
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Marcus Stoinis
7. Alex Carey (wk)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Adam Zampa
11. Josh Hazlewood

Ohitsthatguy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd probably get laughed for saying this but S Marsh hasn't had a heap of opportunities in the limited overs sides and imo I think he's a much better white ball cricketer than he is a test cricketer. Decent average for the times he's been picked and also scored 2 100's in his past 5 ODI's. I certainly understand the criticism of him in the long form though.
No you're right, he has always been a better short form batsman but I feel it's time to move on. He's 35 years old. I guess he could provide "experience" but you've got plenty of that already with Finch and Maxwell. Give a young kid a go, plenty of solid performances in the JLT Cup this year: McDermott, Heazlett, Weatherald... list goes on

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
No you're right, he has always been a better short form batsman but I feel it's time to move on. He's 35 years old. I guess he could provide "experience" but you've got plenty of that already with Finch and Maxwell. Give a young kid a go, plenty of solid performances in the JLT Cup this year: McDermott, Heazlett, Weatherald... list goes on

Yeah but Shaun could still play in the WC. 35 or 36 is nothing.

Ohitsthatguy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah but Shaun could still play in the WC. 35 or 36 is nothing.
You're right and I considered it. But he has never really lit the world on fire in ODIs. He averages 40 which is solid but nothing special. I can see both sides and I'm on the side of moving on. But he's in the squad, he'll play and best of luck to him.

You're right and I considered it. But he has never really lit the world on fire in ODIs. He averages 40 which is solid but nothing special. I can see both sides and I'm on the side of moving on. But he's in the squad, he'll play and best of luck to him.
If the rest of the batting order contains Finch, Maxwell, Lynn, Short, Stoinis, M. Marsh etc. then somebody like Shaun, who can work the ball around and accumulate around them, is vital.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
1. Finch (c)
2. Short
3. Head
4. S. Marsh
5. Lynn
6. Maxwell
7. Carey (wk) (vc)
8. Agar
9. Cummins
10. Starc
11. Hazlewood (vc)

Coulter-Nile, Zampa, Stoinis
Stoinis and Zampa very stiff, Coulter-Nile great player but just no room unless we play four seamers!

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Currently it says "Live Stream will be available closer to the commencement of play"
Whether that is free, or subject to some CA subscription fee, is unclear. I thought it was the latter, but others have said it is free to stream.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

40 in a side that has lost 13 of its last 15 matches sticks out like Chanderpaul’s record in latter day West Indian sides.

Back