Australia v South Africa 1st ODI @ Perth Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxtel executives have issued a directive to the South African side.

You must bat first because that way we are guaranteeing a minimum of fifty overs play.

Why do the activities of other nations concern you so much when it comes to addressing a cut and dried pre meditated case of cheating?

If someone from the Australian cycling team got banned for 5 years would you be into critics of that cyclist because s**t loads of overseas riders have doped?

I agree, I think it fair to say that all of the main cricket playing nations have failed to live up to the standards that most people would expect. There are no innocent nations from what I can tell and saying that any are worse than others is splitting hairs.

I believe what you're saying is true, as a matter of fact I've been saying it myself for a number of years. We can give up on this generation of batsmen as nobody has the slightest idea what is required to play Test cricket. Even if we grabbed the next generation of players and taught them batting technique rather than placing all their emphasis upon "see ball-hit ball" it will take the best part of a decade before a Ponting or Clarke enters the 1st class scene again. Unfortunately, we all know this will not happen whilst CA's grab for cash continues, so who knows how long it will take, if at all.

I feel like someone helplessly standing by as I watch a loved one pass away. There's one comment I DO agree with Shane Warne, and that's if we don't do something about Test cricket soon, it will die sooner than we may think. Then we will be left with the truncated form of the game. T20 won't survive, because it needs something to be shorter than in order for the public to be interested.

You only need to see what's going on in local cricket to understand the game is dying. My club used to have 6 strong senior teams, it now has 3, and some of the lads playing 1st XI today would have been lucky to get a game in the 6th XI when I played. God only knows where CA thinks they are going to get the next wave of cricketers from.
I think that 1972 thing was a protest over the inprisonment of some wack job. Where they poured oil on the pitch

I think that 1972 thing was a protest over the inprisonment of some wack job. Where they poured oil on the pitch
I think you're referring to this?
1975: Davis campaigners stop Test match

Campaigners calling for the release of robber George Davis from prison have vandalised the pitch at Headingley cricket ground in Leeds.

They dug holes in the pitch and poured oil over one end of the wicket.

The walls surrounding the ground were also daubed with the now- familiar slogans demanding the release of Davis, the east London minicab driver jailed for his part in an armed robbery.

The damaged pitch was discovered early on Tuesday by the head groundsman, George Cawthray.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/19/newsid_2534000/2534763.stm
A coincidentally quality use of the term campaigner.

According to wikipedia the guy got released in 1976 and then robbed a bank in 1977 so an absolute waste of everyones time.

Last edited:
This. There is still a segment of fandom that simply doesn’t get it. If you want to dish it out to other nations with the regularity Australia has, you can’t expect the retribution to be minimal
Dish what out?

That was 75 at the same ground.

72 was just blatant pitch doctoring.

a bit of talk about the low crowd. just heard some info on the radio to put it into context.
The 24,342 is the second highest ever ODI crowd in Perth

last time ODIs in November, also v South Africa, in 2014, there were games at WACA (Crowd 9322), WACA again 10939, Manuka 10583, MCG 14177 and SCG 15830)

Yeah but ODI's are dead and need to be killed off... just because...

Dish what out?

Mate it’s been 13 years and people are still crying that the English sucked Murray Mints while the poor old aussies were stuck with Wrigley’s. Any time there is a whiff of controversy from another team, it seems to be the Australian way to condemn and play the ‘we play hard but we don’t cheat’ card.

Mate it’s been 13 years and people are still crying that the English sucked Murray Mints while the poor old aussies were stuck with Wrigley’s. Any time there is a whiff of controversy from another team, it seems to be the Australian way to condemn and play the ‘we play hard but we don’t cheat’ card.
It’s pointing out hypocrisy. When other teams do something wrong they are always quick Australian last cheats. Atherton actually got caught for ball tampering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, that was 1975. The 1972 Headingly was known as the Fuserium Test, where some disease that doesn't thrive at all in those conditions, apparently infected the pitch but the rest of the playing area was unaffected .... or so the poms wanted us to believe. :)

Bringing back the cheats wont change the fact the first choice bowling attack took 0 wickets in 22 overs!!! Not so good without a tampered ball...

Better than Mitch Marsh with the bat, for the bowling required he is more than adequate and is a better batsman than Head, Labuschagne or any other spud they might find

Last two seasons Stoinis has averaged 17 with the bat in Shield cricket. All of the players you mentioned outperformed him easily.

I’d like the players to be penalised for what they did.

Something in line with other penalties applied for ball tampering around the world. Maybe even double what Faf got for all of his efforts? Or something like the pay rise that Indian players get from the ICC when they do this sort of thing.

At least CA had the balls to do what other governing bodies would never dream of doing.

I’d like the players to be penalised for what they did.

Something in line with other penalties applied for ball tampering around the world. Maybe even double what Faf got for all of his efforts? Or something like the pay rise that Indian players get from the ICC when they do this sort of thing.

At least CA had the balls to do what other governing bodies would never dream of doing.

Other boards ban players for years/life for things they say in public, for signing particular deals in overseas competitions or whatever.

The West Indies finally got their best batsman back into maroon colours for the first time in two years on Sunday because he called someone an idiot.

Why the desperate need to compare everything to ‘what other boards do.’

Other boards ban players for years/life for things they say in public, for signing particular deals in overseas competitions or whatever.

The West Indies finally got their best batsman back into maroon colours for the first time in two years on Sunday because he called someone an idiot.

Why the desperate need to compare everything to ‘what other boards do.’
Totally comparable to in game cheating penalties.

Well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back