Australia v South Africa 1st ODI @ Perth Stadium.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Mate it’s been 13 years and people are still crying that the English sucked Murray Mints while the poor old aussies were stuck with Wrigley’s. Any time there is a whiff of controversy from another team, it seems to be the Australian way to condemn and play the ‘we play hard but we don’t cheat’ card.
Do you honestly think the Australian cricket fan 'dishes it out' more than say the Indian or Pakistani or English? Have you been on twitter? The English have a whole army who spend 80% of their time sledging the opposition. Maybe you are just exposed to the stupidity of Australian cricket fans more because you live here? The average Australian cricket fan barely knows other countries exist to give it out to.

Australia has been the most hated side in cricket for a long time, probably fairly, however you don't think they've had slightly more dished at them then they've dished out as a result?
Other boards ban players for years/life for things they say in public, for signing particular deals in overseas competitions or whatever.

The West Indies finally got their best batsman back into maroon colours for the first time in two years on Sunday because he called someone an idiot.

Why the desperate need to compare everything to ‘what other boards do.’
Yes and everyone who has followed that story on Darren Bravo has thought his ban to be absolutely ridiculous. Just as it is here.

As Andronicus said the reason other countries actions get brought up is to show the hypocrisy of the s**t being tossed at the Australians.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh look.

An agenda driven contrarian. What a great person to converse with.

Wtf does that even mean?
What am I being contrarian about and what is my agenda? To hope that CA’s head honchos read my posts and uphold the current bans? F*** off mate, it’s a forum.

I simply think this stupid attitude - which not only pervades this case by the way, but society in general, of ‘well they did it, why am I being treated differently’ - is about as mind bendingly silly as it gets.

If two kids at school both get suspended for a day for the same offence, do I have to punish my kid the same way the other kid’s parents punish him?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you honestly think the Australian cricket fan 'dishes it out' more than say the Indian or Pakistani or English? Have you been on twitter? The English have a whole army who spend 80% of their time sledging the opposition. Maybe you are just exposed to the stupidity of Australian cricket fans more because you live here? The average Australian cricket fan barely knows other countries exist to give it out to.

Australia has been the most hated side in cricket for a long time, probably fairly, however you don't think they've had slightly more dished at them then they've dished out as a result?

Yes and everyone who has followed that story on Darren Bravo has thought his ban to be absolutely ridiculous. Just as it is here.

As Andronicus said the reason other countries actions get brought up is to show the hypocrisy of the s**t being tossed at the Australians.

On a social media level? Of course not. On a ‘presence within the game’ level? Absolutely. The Australian team has always pushed the barrow of being hard but fair. Any suggestion otherwise has always been refuted like it is an accusation of a crime.

When it comes to sledging, there is no doubt Australia cops more criticism for it. That’s not what is being debated, though.

As long as I’ve followed cricket it seems to have been poor umpiring from dodgy Indian officials, pitch doctoring every time we lose a match in unfamiliar conditions, ball tampering any time swing has a major say in the outcome. Bowlers with dodgy actions? Science doesn’t prove anything, apparently.

Australia, perhaps honourably because for the most part they HAVENT cheated, have always been the bastion of the ‘may the best team win within the rules’ attitude. So when that ideal disappears in front of a cricket-worldwide audience in such premeditated fashion, it makes a joke of that whole ethos.

Can you imagine if for example Geelong took an absolutely iron-clad stance on, say, violence against women. Made it their equivalent of what CA does with pink stumps day or something. Then a while later it emerges that Patrick Dangerfield has punched a woman, and Joel Selwood knew about it but failed to do anything to stop it - the club imposed sanctions would understandably go a bit beyond the normal penalties surely? And the criticism would be endless.

Hell, we got a taste of it when Selwood himself was caught speeding and cost us the TAC or whoever it was as a sponsor.

Edit: the point about being more exposed to the Australian self righteousness because I live here is a relevant point.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Wtf does that even mean?
What am I being contrarian about and what is my agenda? To hope that CA’s head honchos read my posts and uphold the current bans? F*** off mate, it’s a forum.

I simply think this stupid attitude - which not only pervades this case by the way, but society in general, of ‘well they did it, why am I being treated differently’ - is about as mind bendingly silly as it gets.

If two kids at school both get suspended for a day for the same offence, do I have to punish my kid the same way the other kid’s parents punish him?
Do you support players being sanctioned for what they say, for example, calling someone an idiot?

I'm sure there are plenty here that can recognise your agenda even if you are somehow blind to it

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
On a social media level? Of course not. On a ‘presence within the game’ level? Absolutely. The Australian team has always pushed the barrow of being hard but fair. Any suggestion otherwise has always been refuted like it is an accusation of a crime.

When it comes to sledging, there is no doubt Australia cops more criticism for it. That’s not what is being debated, though.

As long as I’ve followed cricket it seems to have been poor umpiring from dodgy Indian officials, pitch doctoring every time we lose a match in unfamiliar conditions, ball tampering any time swing has a major say in the outcome. Bowlers with dodgy actions? Science doesn’t prove anything, apparently.

Australia, perhaps honourably because for the most part they HAVENT cheated, have always been the bastion of the ‘may the best team win within the rules’ attitude. So when that ideal disappears in front of a cricket-worldwide audience in such premeditated fashion, it makes a joke of that whole ethos.

Can you imagine if for example Geelong took an absolutely iron-clad stance on, say, violence against women. Made it their equivalent of what CA does with pink stumps day or something. Then a while later it emerges that Patrick Dangerfield has punched a woman, and Joel Selwood knew about it but failed to do anything to stop it - the club imposed sanctions would understandably go a bit beyond the normal penalties surely? And the criticism would be endless.

Hell, we got a taste of it when Selwood himself was caught speeding and cost us the TAC or whoever it was as a sponsor.

Edit: the point about being more exposed to the Australian self righteousness because I live here is a relevant point.
I did ask about what you were referring to in relation to dishing it out and you used the example of fans talking about Murray mints so assumed we were talking fans and not team given I cant recall anyone with 'presence within the game' talking about that at any sort of length?

Then with your "As long as I've followed cricket" paragraph, you talk about all these things Australia accuses others of but has anyone with a 'presence in the game' actually spoke about these things or is that the dumbarse fans? I feel like you are confusing the two.

You say we shouldn't compare Australia's punishment to others but then that Australia deserves more s**t because we dish it out more compared to others? Are we allowed to compare or are we not?

Going along with your Geelong analogy, these bans are like if both Luke Shuey and Joel Selwood both got a week for ducking their head but then Geelong gave Selwood an extra 6 weeks because the people who don't really follow AFL got outraged that anyone representing Geelong dare duck their head.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you support players being sanctioned for what they say, for example, calling someone an idiot?

I'm sure there are plenty here that can recognise your agenda even if you are somehow blind to it

WHAT AGENDA?!?!?!?

Man has opinion you disagree with = agenda.

It’s part of my secret mission to bring down Australian cricket from the inside and ensure that my favourite sport has no presence in my home country.

You got me

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
WHAT AGENDA?!?!?!?

Man has opinion you disagree with = agenda.

It’s part of my secret mission to bring down Australian cricket from the inside and ensure that my favourite sport has no presence in my home country.

You got me
Remember that balanced cricket discussion where your anti-Australian views weren't being shouted from the rooftop?

Nope? Nor can anyone else.

The simple fact that you think the only long term bans for ball tampering that have ever been handed out is appropriate because its Australia, and you justify it by saying other boards have made excessive bans for completely unrelated incidents suggests you are blinded by hatred.

CONTRARIAN DISAGREES WITH BEING CALLED A CONTRARIAN.

Surprise surprise.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Remember that balanced cricket discussion where your anti-Australian views weren't being shouted from the rooftop?

Nope? Nor can anyone else.

The simple fact that you think the only long term bans for ball tampering that have ever been handed out is appropriate because its Australia, and you justify it by saying other boards have made excessive bans for completely unrelated incidents suggests you are blinded by hatred.

CONTRARIAN DISAGREES WITH BEING CALLED A CONTRARIAN.

Surprise surprise.

Have I actually said anything that is anti-Australian cricket in this entire discussion Einstein?

I think, like shitloads of AUSTRALIAN supporters, that the bans were correct. They took a firm stand, and I think will virtually guarantee that no Australian cricketer even thinks about ball tampering for the foreseeable future.

I haven’t justified anything. I’ve merely pointed out that different boards take different actions over different offences and there is no - and should be no - inherent need for CA to base their own decisions on what is being done by an equivalent organisation in another country.

Get it through your f***en head mate. You don’t have to like, or dislike, the Australian cricket team to agree with the punishment meted out. At the end of the day I’m Australian and I play cricket, and so are my kids. If nothing else regardless of my support or lack of for the team, I am actually pretty proud that the idea of cheating is viewed in such a way that this is the extent they’ve gone to in order to stop it happening again.

Nah must be an Agenda to make the most of the considerable power I wield as a poster in an AFL forum that has a sub-forum about cricket hahahahaha

P.s. agenda

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I did ask about what you were referring to in relation to dishing it out and you used the example of fans talking about Murray mints so assumed we were talking fans and not team given I cant recall anyone with 'presence within the game' talking about that at any sort of length?

Then with your "As long as I've followed cricket" paragraph, you talk about all these things Australia accuses others of but has anyone with a 'presence in the game' actually spoke about these things or is that the dumbarse fans? I feel like you are confusing the two.

You say we shouldn't compare Australia's punishment to others but then that Australia deserves more s**t because we dish it out more compared to others? Are we allowed to compare or are we not?

Going along with your Geelong analogy, these bans are like if both Luke Shuey and Joel Selwood both got a week for ducking their head but then Geelong gave Selwood an extra 6 weeks because the people who don't really follow AFL got outraged that anyone representing Geelong dare duck their head.

I don’t know if I said deserves - if I did it probably isn’t fair - but the reality is they WILL cop more s**t whether it’s deserved or not. And you raise a fair point, perhaps I have confused the rhetoric of the fan base with the players and officials of the last 25-30 years.

One thing the players themselves have always maintained though is that they never go beyond the bounds of the rules or what is acceptable though. That’s indisputable. Usually they bring up that ideal when sledging becomes a hot topic and I recognise that sledging is a completely different matter, but invariably the hard but fair mantra gets trotted out by actual stakeholders in the game rather than just uneducated fans.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Have I actually said anything that is anti-Australian cricket in this entire discussion Einstein?

I think, like shitloads of AUSTRALIAN supporters, that the bans were correct. They took a firm stand, and I think will virtually guarantee that no Australian cricketer even thinks about ball tampering for the foreseeable future.

I haven’t justified anything. I’ve merely pointed out that different boards take different actions over different offences and there is no - and should be no - inherent need for CA to base their own decisions on what is being done by an equivalent organisation in another country.

Get it through your f***en head mate. You don’t have to like, or dislike, the Australian cricket team to agree with the punishment meted out. At the end of the day I’m Australian and I play cricket, and so are my kids. If nothing else regardless of my support or lack of for the team, I am actually pretty proud that the idea of cheating is viewed in such a way that this is the extent they’ve gone to in order to stop it happening again.

Nah must be an Agenda to make the most of the considerable power I wield as a poster in an AFL forum that has a sub-forum about cricket hahahahaha

P.s. agenda
I didn't say you had said anything in this thread.

You don't think people make opinions based on one thread do you?

I'm saying I don't really give a s**t what you say in this, or any other topic because everything you say is clouded by a very anti-australian sentiment. Maybe you do say some stuff worth paying attention to, but posting history suggests there is always a cloud hanging over it

For example, in justifying the penalties, you thought it worth comparing the incident to the Bravo vs his board debacle.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I didn't say you had said anything in this thread.

You don't think people make opinions based on one thread do you?

I'm saying I don't really give a s**t what you say in this, or any other topic because everything you say is clouded by a very anti-australian sentiment. Maybe you do say some stuff worth paying attention to, but posting history suggests there is always a cloud hanging over it

For example, in justifying the penalties, you thought it worth comparing the incident to the Bravo vs his board debacle.

The respective debacles are nothing alike. What I compared was the fact that different countries penalise different offences at different levels and there is literally no reason why one nation should adopt a certain punishment simply because of how another nation does it.

You can think whatever you want about what I post. I don’t like the Australian team, I’m not about to start. I don’t like the Indian team either. And I sure as s**t don’t like the English one. It doesn’t somehow mean I have some driven motive behind every comment I make about them.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
All Australia did was overact and shoot themselves in the foot all over some bizarre arrogant belief some had that we didn't do this stuff because we were better than the "others".

One of the more hysterical parts of that arrogance showed up at the time when there were actually some people thought that by giving these insane bans that Australia was setting some kind of precedent for the rest of the Cricket World to follow. How's that working out? The only thing the other nations are doing is laughing at us screwing ourselves over. The governing body of the sport are the ones who have to lead on those kinds of issues. To think that we could and were the ones to take the lead is embarrassing. More Aussie arrogance from some.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

I am actually one who doesn't mind the bans at all. Now the bans have been put in place, they should stand. It's just a pity that other nations don't feel the same way about trying to stamp out cheating.

My entire stance on this forum is I abhor cheating, excessive sledging, and extreme poor behaviour and would like to see it dealt with by the authorities. We all recognise the Australia cricket team are no angels out there in the middle, but anyone who thinks Australians are solely to blame in this area have their heads rammed up their clacker. This is where I draw the line. You can't have one set of standards for Australia and not apply them to other countries.

Most of the anti-Australian attitudes on this forum have been fuelled by the media who also take great delight in giving the Australians a serve. We are now seeing ridiculous decisions being made by authorities in relation to player behaviour when it comes to Australia. Players from other nations have come to realise that they can behave however they like, and if questioned by authorities, all they have to do is claim the Aussies sledged them, and all is forgiven.

We saw the disgraceful incident involving Harbhajan Singh's racial vilification of Andrew Symonds. Initially banned for several Test matches, India appeal to the ICC, and he's exonerated. Then the media move in and try to make Symonds the bad guy. Disgraceful. Then we see Rabada copping 2 Tests for deliberately bumping into Warner after dismissing him. South Africa appeal, and he gets off. The player who really annoys me is James Anderson. Ever ready and happy to sledge everyone and anyone, then he comes out and has the temerity to complain that he is being sledged by the Australians ... so the media criticises the Australians!! Then we saw the incident between Kohli and Smith. Kohli starts it, Smith gets the blame.

I have believed for a long time that Australians need to pull their heads in when it comes to unnecessary sledging and general poor behaviour but I wish people would be fair about this and not try to pretend other countries are completely faultless in these areas as well. Kohli's going to have a wonderful time this summer knowing he can say and do whatever he pleases, and there's nothing the Australians can do about it.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I am actually one who doesn't mind the bans at all. Now the bans have been put in place, they should stand. It's just a pity that other nations don't feel the same way about trying to stamp out cheating.

My entire stance on this forum is I abhor cheating, excessive sledging, and extreme poor behaviour and would like to see it dealt with by the authorities. We all recognise the Australia cricket team are no angels out there in the middle, but anyone who thinks Australians are solely to blame in this area have their heads rammed up their clacker. This is where I draw the line. You can't have one set of standards for Australia and not apply them to other countries.

Most of the anti-Australian attitudes on this forum have been fuelled by the media who also take great delight in giving the Australians a serve. We are now seeing ridiculous decisions being made by authorities in relation to player behaviour when it comes to Australia. Players from other nations have come to realise that they can behave however they like, and if questioned by authorities, all they have to do is claim the Aussies sledged them, and all is forgiven.

We saw the disgraceful incident involving Harbhajan Singh's racial vilification of Andrew Symonds. Initially banned for several Test matches, India appeal to the ICC, and he's exonerated. Then the media move in and try to make Symonds the bad guy. Disgraceful. Then we see Rabada copping 2 Tests for deliberately bumping into Warner after dismissing him. South Africa appeal, and he gets off. The player who really annoys me is James Anderson. Ever ready and happy to sledge everyone and anyone, then he comes out and has the temerity to complain that he is being sledged by the Australians ... so the media criticises the Australians!! Then we saw the incident between Kohli and Smith. Kohli starts it, Smith gets the blame.

I have believed for a long time that Australians need to pull their heads in when it comes to unnecessary sledging and general poor behaviour but I wish people would be fair about this and not try to pretend other countries are completely faultless in these areas as well. Kohli's going to have a wonderful time this summer knowing he can say and do whatever he pleases, and there's nothing the Australians can do about it.

The Harbhajan one was a disgrace, no argument. Anderson is a ******* so he gets no sympathy from me.
The Rabada one is slightly different surely - essentially he crossed sleeves with Smith and while he DID undoubtedly carry himself like a tit in that series and in others before it, and needs to pull his head in, I thought the actual incident he got suspended for, was at the very minor end of the scale compared to some of his other carry on.

Back