Australia vs Bangladesh Champions Trophy match: 5 June at The Oval at 10.30pm (Mel/Syd)

Remove this Banner Ad

The funny thing is, Australia weren't only well ahead of the Par Score at the 16th over, but they were 31 runs ahead of the 20th Over (official match) score already!

While yes, a loss of 4/0 in those 4 extra overs would have seen them tie with Bangers DL score, it's still very frustrating that they were ahead of the 20 over score.

The Aussies can't complain too much, the rain may well have saved them a defeat in the first match.
I find that match difficult to enterpret tho with the rain. I doubt we would have been as aggressive with the bat had we not had to get a ridiculous 233 in 33 overs due to rain. The actualy target was 296 off 48 or something. If we didn't need to go all guns blazing in the 1st game, then l dont think we would have lost it.

I find that match difficult to enterpret tho with the rain. I doubt we would have been as aggressive with the bat had we not had to get a ridiculous 233 in 33 overs due to rain. The actualy target was 296 off 48 or something. If we didn't need to go all guns blazing in the 1st game, then l dont think we would have lost it.

The reason the target is changed is simple - Australia have their target set KNOWING what it is going to be and what impact the rain has had.

New Zealand on the flip side have to logically be given the assumption that they don't plan for rain. They set out at the start of their innings under the assumption that they have 50 overs to build. If they've played half those overs under that assumption and the suddenly it pisses down, they've effectively wasted half their innings using a game plan that doesn't apply anymore.

8 an over 3 wickets down. I know where my money would have been going.
That's putting all emphasis on results rather than the games being played though.

If all we are concerned about is likely results, why play a tournament at all?

Just give every trophy to the bookies favourite. Win or lose, isn't the aim to play the game? Why does the likelihood of a certain result matter?

The reason the target is changed is simple - Australia have their target set KNOWING what it is going to be and what impact the rain has had.

New Zealand on the flip side have to logically be given the assumption that they don't plan for rain. They set out at the start of their innings under the assumption that they have 50 overs to build. If they've played half those overs under that assumption and the suddenly it pisses down, they've effectively wasted half their innings using a game plan that doesn't apply anymore.

I don't think he is arguing the merits of D/L.

More so that you said that the rain saved Australia whereas if it didn't rain at all, and the target was not revised, it is a completely different game again.

Having two games washed out is unlucky whichever way you look at it.

That's putting all emphasis on results rather than the games being played though.

If all we are concerned about is likely results, why play a tournament at all?

Just give every trophy to the bookies favourite. Win or lose, isn't the aim to play the game? Why does the likelihood of a certain result matter?

F***in hell.

Australia were robbed of a likely win last night, robbed of a likely loss in game one.

They find themselves on the same amount of points as they would have probably been on had those matches been played out.

I don't think he is arguing the merits of D/L.

More so that you said that the rain saved Australia whereas if it didn't rain at all, and the target was not revised, it is a completely different game again.

Having two games washed out is unlucky whichever way you look at it.

If it doesn't rain at all, New Zealand get a full uninterrupted innings in which they don't have to adjust their plan at all.

Yes it is unlucky that both have been washed out.

F***in hell.

Australia were robbed of a likely win last night, robbed of a likely loss in game one.

They find themselves on the same amount of points as they would have probably been on had those matches been played out.
Again, you have missed the point badly.

People are frustrated at games not being played, not the points table being as it should or shouldn't be.

Calm down tiger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F***in hell.

Would be nice to see some games played out though, nothing more tedious than rain delay after rain delay and the game finally being abandoned :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back