Australia vs India, 4th test at the SCG, Jan 3rd - 7th

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol yeah sure, Adelaide which had very good pace, bounce and carry for the fast bowlers was a flat wicket. Even at MCG, a number of Indian batsmen (and Aussie batsmen) got received numerous body blows on the head, elbow, back, groin and pretty much everywhere. An Australian wicket is still an Australian wicket no matter how flat it is and Indian batsmen hardly get hit on the body in India because of the lack of bounce.

What Australia did with Smith and Warner is none of India's concerns, so no point bringing that here. BCCI didn't pressurise CA into banning them. It's funny how you keep mentioning day and night match as if India hasn't got a pace attack. I would've loved to see Bhuvi, Ishant and Bumrah hooping the pink ball around under lights against the Australian batsmen, unfortunately it was not meant to be.

At the end of the day, when none of the Australian batsmen could outscore what the Indian no.8 in Jadeja scored during the entirety of the series, it's clutching at straws blaming the flatness of wickets for the series loss.

Yep, we were clearly superior.

First team in 31 years to get Australia to follow on, no batsman from the home side scoring more than 70 odd (that's insane), first team to declare for three successive innings against Australia. Most importantly, the KING delivers a series win in Australia.

What a great day to be alive!

See, Pujara's runs, as noteworthy as they were, are not the reason India won this series; Bumrah's bowling in Melbourne is, IMO.

It bothers me that bowlers don't get the accolades their bowling deserves, unless they're McGrath or Warne like names.
I don't think Bumrah is being overlooked though. India finally has a post WW2 paceman to open the bowling with Kapil Dev in their all-time XI side.

Lol yeah sure, Adelaide which had very good pace, bounce and carry for the fast bowlers was a flat wicket. Even at MCG, a number of Indian batsmen (and Aussie batsmen) got received numerous body blows on the head, elbow, back, groin and pretty much everywhere. An Australian wicket is still an Australian wicket no matter how flat it is and Indian batsmen hardly get hit on the body in India because of the lack of bounce.

What Australia did with Smith and Warner is none of India's concerns, so no point bringing that here. BCCI didn't pressurise CA into banning them. It's funny how you keep mentioning day and night match as if India hasn't got a pace attack. I would've loved to see Bhuvi, Ishant and Bumrah hooping the pink ball around under lights against the Australian batsmen, unfortunately it was not meant to be.

At the end of the day, when none of the Australian batsmen could outscore what the Indian no.8 in Jadeja scored during the entirety of the series, it's clutching at straws blaming the flatness of wickets for the series loss.
If India didn’t think that a day/night test would severely reduce their chances of winning this series, they wouldn’t have refused to play. Can’t think of another series were the away side has refused the fixturing of the series and forced them to change to appease them. You speak of India’s ability to overcome alien (lol) conditions, yet the only time they were faced with that they forced Cricket Australia to change an entire fixture.

You are happy to ignore the fact that no side won a match after losing the toss. India took advantage of winning 3 out of 4 coin tosses. Good on them, not all sides in test cricket can do that. But Australia too showed they can do what India did and win if afforded the luck of winning the toss.

Or we could produce good cricket pitches which offer something to everyone including the fast bowlers. A good cricket pitch is not one which offers the batsman and only the spin bowlers a chance.
Day one of a good test match pitch should see a solid green grass cover and substantial moisture in the pitch, then we now have a toss that means something.
I alwways worked on
Innings one about 250
Innings 2 about 400
Innings 3 about 400
Innings 4 about ?
Do better than that and you win or its a draw

I don't think Bumrah is being overlooked though. India finally has a post WW2 paceman to open the bowling with Kapil Dev in their all-time XI side.
True enough, but I'm talking about the establishment being more likely to recognise the achievements of a prolific batsman than the matchwinning toil of a bowler.

Indian batsman have made buckets of runs here in the past. One of their quicks has never done what Bumrah has this series.

Um, no, it wouldn't have been.

It would've meant that, at the very least, India would've had to bat again. How many wickets did India get because Australia was chasing 620 odd, and felt that pressure? How much easier would it have been to bat with a bit of freedom, on that deck, when your opposition declared prematurely, on a deck where they really could've brought the pain?

Make no mistake, the game doesn't conclude in 3 days on that batting strip
A side doesn't get bowled out for 300 on that pitch either, but it happened and I didn't see anything in the majority of our dismissals that was different to those suffered earlier in the series. We were mentally shot well before tea on the second day with India having scored 6/491. Declaring a few overs before tea would have given India another 25 overs with the ball. With Australia already mentally shot it certainly wouldn't have been premature and while it may not have been enough to win the game it certainly would have significantly increased their chances.

With those extra overs on day 2 it's likely India would have grabbed a wicket or two before stumps meaning the remainder of our batsmen would have been exposed to fresher bowlers on day 3 creating a possibility of a smaller Australian total. India were happy to draw the game, however a side wanting to win the game undoubtably would have declared earlier and given themselves that chance. Blame the weather if it's your want, but all I'm saying is they didn't give themselves the best chance to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A side doesn't get bowled out for 300 on that pitch either, but it happened and I didn't see anything in the majority of our dismissals that was different to those suffered earlier in the series. We were mentally shot well before tea on the second day with India having scored 6/491. Declaring a few overs before tea would have given India another 25 overs with the ball. With Australia already mentally shot it certainly wouldn't have been premature and while it may not have been enough to win the game it certainly would have significantly increased their chances.

With those extra overs on day 2 it's likely India would have grabbed a wicket or two before stumps meaning the remainder of our batsmen would have been exposed to fresher bowlers on day 3 creating a possibility of a smaller Australian total. India were happy to draw the game, however a side wanting to win the game undoubtably would have declared earlier and given themselves that chance. Blame the weather if it's your want, but all I'm saying is they didn't give themselves the best chance to win.
What you have just described is the kind of consummate nonsense we used to get subjected to from the ch. 9 commentary team, but only when they'd finished discussing the hoolios in the Australian dressing room.

There is nothing wrong or unorthodox with using run pressure on a pitch like that to get wickets, it's in fact among the only ways. No matter what Michael Clarke would've done, there are more tactical settings than all out attack.

For you to be right/correct, the test needed to be won in 3 days and 25 overs. Short of them skittling us for 100 on a deck that saw two of the highest innings scores of the series, it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

what a load of tripe
blame the crap sydney weather and the pathetic umpires. they should have at least got close to a full day's play in yesterday. no idea what the weather was like today, according to the bom there was between 0-2mm for most places in metro sydney which is absolutely bugger all

What you have just described is the kind of consummate nonsense we used to get subjected to from the ch. 9 commentary team, but only when they'd finished discussing the hoolios in the Australian dressing room.

There is nothing wrong or unorthodox with using run pressure on a pitch like that to get wickets, it's in fact among the only ways. No matter what Michael Clarke would've done, there are more tactical settings than all out attack.

For you to be right/correct, the test needed to be won in 3 days and 25 overs. Short of them skittling us for 100 on a deck that saw two of the highest innings scores of the series, it doesn't happen.

what a load of tripe
blame the crap sydney weather and the pathetic umpires. they should have at least got close to a full day's play in yesterday. no idea what the weather was like today, according to the bom there was between 0-2mm for most places in metro sydney which is absolutely bugger all
Guess I was wrong to express an opinion on a site designed to express opinion. :drunk:

Just because it differs from yours doesn’t mean it’s consummate nonsense or tripe. That you both have resorted to such retorts means I’m done here, because it seems you’re both incapable of having a proper conversation.

actually, can any sydney sider tell me why they can't even manage to get on the pitch for the entire day when there's less than 1mm in the gauge for the entire day?

It was a real light mist for most of the day, with brief intermittent bursts of actual rain. It never stopped long enough (until later this arvo) for play to actually start, but if they had they would have been able to play through most of it.

It was a real light mist for most of the day, with brief intermittent bursts of actual rain. It never stopped long enough (until later this arvo) for play to actually start, but if they had they would have been able to play through most of it.

couldn't they have just started in the light mist in the morning and kept going? hardly sounds like it would have been dangerous to either side

Guess I was wrong to express an opinion on a site designed to express opinion. :drunk:

Just because it differs from yours doesn’t mean it’s consummate nonsense or tripe. That you both have resorted to such retorts means I’m done here, because it seems you’re both incapable of having a proper conversation.
And I guess you don't like it when someone points out you're wrong.

Calling an idea stupid/wrong isn't ad hominem. I suppose I could've said it more nicely, but I'm on my phone. I don't have the space/time/processing speed to sugar coat things.

Last edited:
Nope, the sun never comes out here in Sydney.
It is cloudy and raining 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

That's good because if it does come out all we get is your complete road of a wicket anyway. Time to turn out the lights noone is home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back