Australia vs India First Test - Adelaide Oval - Dec 9 - Dec 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've realized Smith's captaincy isn't very defensive, I wish Kohli could lead the side again. Nothing better than watching two young, aggressive and fairly inexperienced captains coming up with fresh strategies.

With NCN injured, the next in line with the selectors would be Hilfhenhaus IMO. I would rather have picked Hilf than Starc, even though I'm pretty much over Hilfy. But our fast bowling casualty list is - as usual - quite long and Hilf is bowling well.

It should be Behrendorff. In fact he would have been a very very bold selection for this test, but I think selectors would consider him at least 12 months away at the moment. Probably fair enough too. It's easy to make a bold and risky selection on bigfooty. It's not so easy to make one when if things don't go to plan your name(s) will be spread over the papers. And if too many don't go to plan then you're out of a job. Also given Hazlewood was always first in line for a debut spot, it's a much more solid plan to go with someone with some tests behind them.

Surely Paris is the one more likely from WA at least. No idea whether he is back playing yet after his injury though.

No second test thread up so I guess comments go here.

Very surprised to see Siddle dropped with Harris missing. Two erratic (albeit Johnson is the biggest weapon in world cricket) lefties and a debutant is a strange mix. Alot of pressure on Johnson to take wickets and on Hazlewood to keep things tight.

Not that I don't rate Starc or particuarly want Siddle in the side. Starc has time on his side and can be a match turner on his day. Just an odd balance to the team.

Not thrilled to see Shaun Marsh there either. With Warner and Smith anchoring the batting it would have been a good time to introduce someone younger - Burns, Khawaja etc.

Anyway the pitch should suit. Lyon will enjoy bowling there with the extra bounce and with confidence sky-high.

Rogers and Watson badly need runs. Could well have been Rogers last chance if Hughes was still waiting in the wings.

Edit: Oh and huge congratulations to Steve Smith. The highest sporting profile in the country and something that every Australia kid aspires to. Good on him, well deserved with the way he's built himself over the last 18 months. I reckon he's gonna do a damn good job for a very long time.

Last edited:
He hasn't even played a first class game yet.

I agree with that, but he seems he has more tools than Behrendoff. The issue I have with Berendoff is he seems to be purely a new ball bowler, what happens when the ball is 25 overs old?

Not thrilled to see Shaun Marsh there either. With Warner and Smith anchoring the batting it would have been a good time to introduce someone younger - Burns, Khawaja etc.

Burns maybe...Khawaja has so many weaknesses it isn't funny. Has been found out over and over again

I like blooding youth, Hazlewood is the perfect in, but Starc needs more form in he shield.

I'm amazed given his experience and form in the shield that Hilfenhaus wasn't drafted in for 1 game.

I like blooding youth, Hazlewood is the perfect in, but Starc needs more form in he shield.

I'm amazed given his experience and form in the shield that Hilfenhaus wasn't drafted in for 1 game.

Apart from rolling SA (and I'm not taking much note of that given their mental state), what are Hilfy's stats for the other games.

I agree with that, but he seems he has more tools than Behrendoff. The issue I have with Berendoff is he seems to be purely a new ball bowler, what happens when the ball is 25 overs old?
Swing is his main weapon but he can still do the business with an older ball. Has taken about half his wickets this year with ball > 50 overs. Another yard or two of toe would not go astray but he's nippy enough.

Paris is a definite talent and they'll be pumping development into him, but needs to get into the WA team first. That will be a task in itself and he might even be better coming interstate. Qld or Vic would be a good fit for him. They have a few quick bowlers, but starting to get on a bit, and the two venues would suit.

Swing is his main weapon but he can still do the business with an older ball. Has taken about half his wickets this year with ball > 50 overs. Another yard or two of toe would not go astray but he's nippy enough.

Paris is a definite talent and they'll be pumping development into him, but needs to get into the WA team first. That will be a task in itself and he might even be better coming interstate. Qld or Vic would be a good fit for him. They have a few quick bowlers, but starting to get on a bit, and the two venues would suit.

I'd love Paris to replace Bollinger at the Blues next year. He would make WA's side comfortably though.

I have only seen Behrendoff in 1 and a bit innings this year to be fair.

Apart from rolling SA (and I'm not taking much note of that given their mental state), what are Hilfy's stats for the other games.
2/~100 v WA and 1/30 v Pak A in UAE. Not great.

Form is a factor when picking anyone, but when it comes to picking or not picking Hilf it won't be a huge factor. At his age and experience they will know exactly what is going to bring to the table.

I don't think it's worth going down the Hilf avenue again, but he's probably next in line and I'd take him over Starc tbh.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love Paris to replace Bollinger at the Blues next year. He would make WA's side comfortably though.
Paris will have a major battle to get in the WA team. Rimmington (2nd), Mackin (6th) and Dorff (7th) are all in the top seven wicket takers this season. Hogan is top 20 though a little down on his regular output.

He won't displace Rim or Dorff. He won't displace Hogan. I've openly admitted I've never been really that impressed with Hogan's bowling, but he continues to take wickets year in year out (usually at a good average) and at the end of the day you can't argue with that.

Paris could take Mackin's spot but it's hard to drop a bloke who is near the top of the Shield wicket taking list for someone who has never played a FC game, regardless of talent. Mackin is only a few months older than Paris as well so they are probably thinking he has a big future too. I haven't seen much of him bowl so can't really comment.

And then NCN will come from injury and he's guaranteed a spot.

To be honest, if Paris manages to secure a FC debut by the time the season is out then he will have done well. FWIW the other states should be circling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back