Australia vs Pakistan- 3rd Test (SCG) 3-7 Jan 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, 3 of his last 6 have been good, so let's hope! Remembering that an away average of 45 puts you among the greatest of your era.

There needs to be a bit of context added to that - Darren Bravo averages 52 away from home or something but only 42 overall, and some players may have good away records based on the countries similar to their own but yes it's a fair point.

Does Warner get to take out some outlying poor series as well? Or is that not allowed using these statistics?

Barry_Badrinath made a good point along this path earlier. Stats are easy to manipulate. I stand by my selectivity, though. Being that I'm only excluding one series, not every favourable series :)

Keep chugging along roscreasl98 this all started because of another boneheaded Brades comment.
You mean, Brades made a comment I disagree with therefore he's stupid because only I can be right and I won't argue with facts, I'll just sling insults like an uneducated moron who voted for one nation

You mean, Brades made a comment I disagree with therefore he's stupid because only I can be right and I won't argue with facts, I'll just sling insults like an uneducated moron who voted for one nation
Nah that's not right and nor is this. You do pick on some weird targets I must say. How about those that are not god enough as opposed to those that are...
I pick on players who underperform and get gifted positions in the boys club.

Hence picking on Sarc and Yawner

Guys, when I have contrary opinions, please do not put me in a box with someone who calls players Sarc and Yawner. Cheers

Warne: "How do you not like Swepson? He's bubbly, he's refreshing!"

As if bubbly and refreshing is a reason to put someone in a test team, it's about talent. He probably licost warnes arse and that's why warne likes him, warner can play favourites that way, think clarke.

Barry_Badrinath made a good point along this path earlier. Stats are easy to manipulate. I stand by my selectivity, though. Being that I'm only excluding one series, not every favourable series :)
Ah ok. Mitchell Johnson, pretty average bowler if you take out the summer where he completely destroyed 2 separate test teams. Otherwise not really impressive, so overall he's not very good. Am I doing this right?

Ah ok. Mitchell Johnson, pretty average bowler if you take out the summer where he completely destroyed 2 separate test teams. Otherwise not really impressive, so overall he's not very good. Am I doing this right?

Yeah, sure, whatever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of. Johnsons overall figures were good not great which accentuates the impact of those two summers.

In the same way that Pietersen was a player of great innings rather than a great player, so too was Johnson a player of great bursts of form rather than a great player.

Taking out certain stats or periods of players career is a quite reasonable means of arguing IF it is an outlier in comparison to the rest of their career. It's why Australians think Laxman was a world beater but few other nations get what the fuss was all about because against MOST teams he was a good but not great player.

Kind of. Johnsons overall figures were good not great which accentuates the impact of those two summers.

In the same way that Pietersen was a player of great innings rather than a great player, so too was Johnson a player of great bursts of form rather than a great player.

Taking out certain stats or periods of players career is a quite reasonable means of arguing IF it is an outlier in comparison to the rest of their career. It's why Australians think Laxman was a world beater but few other nations get what the fuss was all about because against MOST teams he was a good but not great player.
Johnsons overall figures are pretty good overall, and he's rated quite highly because of that. We don't just take out part of the record of Laxman and say he was average based on his remaining batting average. You still take the removed part into account and so overall he was a good player capable of great innings, not just an ordinary good player

Johnsons overall figures are pretty good overall, and he's rated quite highly because of that. We don't just take out part of the record of Laxman and say he was average based on his remaining batting average. You still take the removed part into account and so overall he was a good player capable of great innings, not just an ordinary good player

I do think Johnson was too inconsistent and wayward to be classed as a "great player". Even within series, he could go from spearhead to spud; e.g. the 2010-11 Ashes where he destroyed England in Perth, then couldn't land it on the cut strip for the other Tests.

If people are going to play the "take out series X and Y" game, Johnson is probably a fair target tbh.

I do think Johnson was too inconsistent and wayward to be classed as a "great player". Even within series, he could go from spearhead to spud; e.g. the 2010-11 Ashes where he destroyed England in Perth, then couldn't land it on the cut strip for the other Tests.

If people are going to play the "take out series X and Y" game, Johnson is probably a fair target tbh.
My point is you take the good with the bad. You don't just take out the good, say it's all bad and the person is a spud.

Bizarre team selections. Any form of cricket where the opposition are encouraged to score quickly and you have the option to select a leg spinner, you do.

Mitch Marsh can't bat at all and we all know it. He's a flat track bully with one shot. He's a decent bowler and I would be tempted to play him as a reserve bowler but even Faulkner has him covered as an all-rounder.

Chris Lynn gets one match and is dropped. That's not great selecting. You're either all in or not at all.

This is probably our best team. No problems with bringing in other squad members for a couple of games. You could play an extra batsman like Handscome in that side if you were willing to rely on part time spin of Maxwell, Head, Smith and Finch.

This is our best side. Though head could easily be replaced by an in form bat if he doesn't make a bigger contribution but so far he's contributing as an all-rounder.

Smith needs to re-assess his use of spinners.

Warner
Finch
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Maxwell
Wade
Faulkner
Starc
Hazlewood
Zampa

Cummings