Australia vs Pakistan- 3rd Test (SCG) 3-7 Jan 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't understand why we haven't waited until the toss to name the side.

Anyway, I do really like Cartwright and hope he does well even if I think he's not test ready yet. I really hope O'Keefe can translate his f.c. form into the test arena, he deserves an extended chance to see of he can. Even if he does do well, I get the feeling he will still be written off because he bowls too flat or whatever.

I'm interested to see if Pakistan pick 2 spinners and we see the debut of Mohammad Asghar who has only just turned 18. Babar Azam and Sami Aslam can probably consider themselves lucky if they keep their spots (I suppose Misbah could too). Would certainly be interesting if they dropped one of them for Sharjeel Khan who has a first class strike rate of 82. A slightly different player to the two I mentioned above.

Interesting to see what sort of pitch gets rolled out at the SCG this time around

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If Starc doesn't take wickets they will be bowling 200 overs with that pop gun attack.
And if this team was chosen with 1 eye on India, and we pick the same team for the First Test over there, we'll bowl 300 overs.

The response from Pakistan after their Melbourne debacle will be fascinating. It was a Headingley 1981 type loss - tough to recover from. But hopefully we see a decent contest.

And if this team was chosen with 1 eye on India, and we pick the same team for the First Test over there, we'll bowl 300 overs.

The response from Pakistan after their Melbourne debacle will be fascinating. It was a Headingley 1981 type loss - tough to recover from. But hopefully we see a decent contest.

That's why it's important to use this test as a bit of a trial and error. See whether it works as we have a critical tour coming up. If it doesn't work we're not losing much- it's a dead rubber.

What with an English-born, Pakistan-born, Zimbabwe-born and Malaysia-born players in this Aussie team, is this the most multi-cultural line up the Aussies have ever had? What would Pauline Hanson say? Does anybody really care what she would say?

pauline_hanson_I_don_t_like_it.jpg

To be fair, does Australia have a combination that will succeed in India?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no NSW current selection bias...its a myth perpetuated by other states own sense of inferiority. Over the past 5 years...here are the stats on total debutants since 2012:

Vic: 6
Tas: 4
NSW: 5
WA: 3
QLD: 2
SA: 2

In the past 4-5 years there have been 13 players to debut and be dropped in 5 tests or less (ie...complete flops and not test standard):

4 Victorians: Quiney, Hastings, Holland, Maxwell
3 Tasmanians: Doolan, Faulkner, Bailey
3 NSW: Maddinson, O'Keefe, Henriques
2 SA: Mennie, Ferg
1 WA: Agar

Handscombe and Renshaw are quality players and deserve their spot will each play more than 5 tests and probably more than 50 the way they are going.....neither are from NSW.

I will dissect the team to play in the second test vs Pakistan this year to further emphasise your argument is complete crap.

Warner (NSW) - One of the best openers in the world with an opening average most would beg for. Fielding genius....Who is better than him?
Renshaw (QLD) - Star. Lock. Perfect foil for Warner in the Buck Rogers mold.
Khawaja (NSW/QLD) - Complete gun. Our best #3 since Ponting. Cracking record over the past 2 or so years. Deserving.
Smith (NSW) - Best batsman in the world currently......want to drop him for a shield pleb?
Handscombe (VIC) - Gun. Never drop.
Maddinson (NSW)- Deserves to be dropped not test quality
Wade (VIC) - Has shown nothing since his recall and doesnt desrve to be there. Nevill was extremely stiff and would be a much better glove option in india.
Starc (NSW) - The best left arm darter in Aus. Should we drop him for Sayers?
Lyon (SA/NSW) - Ageing but a lock due to not having anyone pressuring him at lower ranks. Deserves.
Hazelwood (NSW) - Perfect foil for Starc. Gun line and length bowler that is the backbone of our bowling attack.
Bird (TAS) - I really like Bird and he offers a lot. But is possibly the most likely to be dropped due to the excellence of Starc and Hazelwood, ad possible resurgence of Cummins or Patto if he can stay fit for more than 5 minutes.

Every NSW player except maddinson on that list deserves to be there as they are the best going around in their particular position.

The NSW favoritism argument is old and has no currency, it is a cheap pedal for bitter victorians whose debutants have been pretty average up until Handscombe. In fact over the past 5 years you have better chance of debuting if you have played for Vic or Tasmania.
"Muh NSW selection bias" is easily the biggest recurring shitpost on this board. It's tinfoil hat tier.

Re NSW bias: as I said on another thread, I think one issue is that so much of the media is Sydney based. So virtually any young player who is remotely any good gets hyped up almost before they even make first-class level. It certainly doesn't help when guys like Mark Waugh, Slater, and a few others are so openly breaking out the knee pads for the NSW boys.

At the same time, there seems to be a gaping ignorance of any young player from other states. You see all the recent "Who the hell is this guy?! The selection bolter you've never heard of!!!" articles about Renshaw, Sayers, and now Cartwright. The unspoken attitude seems to be that if these guys aren't from NSW, they're not even worth knowing about.

So I can easily see how that attitude creates the "NSW bias" mentality, at least in perception.

To be fair, does Australia have a combination that will succeed in India?
That did occur to me. Maybe if Kohli and Ashwin both have horrific training accidents on the eve of the First Test, and are forced to miss the series, we might be a slim chance. Otherwise it's gonna be ugly.

Is it raining in Sydney or not? Showers forecast on-and-off for all 5 days apparently.

Not raining, today is meant to be the worst of the so called weather though. We badly need the rain, I'll take the rain rather than 40 degree stinking hot days like last week!

Re NSW bias: as I said on another thread, I think one issue is that so much of the media is Sydney based. So virtually any young player who is remotely any good gets hyped up almost before they even make first-class level. It certainly doesn't help when guys like Mark Waugh, Slater, and a few others are so openly breaking out the knee pads for the NSW boys.

At the same time, there seems to be a gaping ignorance of any young player from other states. You see all the recent "Who the hell is this guy?! The selection bolter you've never heard of!!!" articles about Renshaw, Sayers, and now Cartwright. The unspoken attitude seems to be that if these guys aren't from NSW, they're not even worth knowing about.

So I can easily see how that attitude creates the "NSW bias" mentality, at least in perception.

And lets not forget old mate Jim Maxwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back