Australia vs South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Higginbotham is the answer at 8. With Elsom in the team, thats 2 fairly loose backrowers. McCalman at least stays in tight and does some grunt work, Higginbotham can do grunt work, but he isn't the greatest at it. Samo is a better replacement for McCalman.

Ioane really looks to be enjoying defending at 10. Everytime he tackled he just had a smile on his face, absolutely loves smashing blokes. His stats from the game are quite phenomenal, led the tackles with 15, led most runs and metres gained with 12 runs for 156 metres. Not to mention 10 ruck involvements.

Geez your backline is SO small. Do any of you aussies have any concerns about this?

Any concerns about Ioane at 10 Beale on the wing and Cooper at fullback while on defence??

Be interesting how that plays out against the ABs.

Geez your backline is SO small. Do any of you aussies have any concerns about this?

Any concerns about Ioane at 10 Beale on the wing and Cooper at fullback while on defence??

Be interesting how that plays out against the ABs.

Did you watch the game? Ioane was superb at 10, made some big hits and caused a few turnovers with his tackling.

The All Blacks and other teams would be shitting themselves. Having JOC, Cooper and Beale returning kicks is scary, arguably the worlds 3 best kick returners. It's a genius gameplan that will make or break our World Cup campaign.

Btw size doesn't really matter. If it did, Samoa would be the world's best team. + Our backline isn't as small as you think. Cooper, McCabe, AAC, Beale, JOC and Ioane are 180+ cm and they all probably weight over 90kg.

Our backline isn't a concern as long as Gits isn't out there wasting space.

If we had an achilles heel, it would be our starting tight 5 (especially our props). However, the Simmonds + Horwill lock combo looks really good and Kepu is one hell of a scrummager ( Destroyed Kruger, who is by all accounts, a good scrummager). Alexander is our only real weakness at the moment, but considering that Deans has chosen to play him at tighthead, and Kepu loosehead, suggests that he's merely keeping the position warm for James Slipper, who is a far superior player, in the scrum and out in general play. Not to mention we've got 2 world class hookers, so it's fair to say that our tight 5 situation isn't all that bad.

Hmm fair enough on Samo/Higginbotham/McCalman. The same reason of his tight work not being good enough is the same reason that I don't think Timani can be in the test side any time soon.

I think we're going to really need Samo when versing teams like England, Argentina and France. We're simply going to get smashed in the scrum, it's as simple as that. Samo proved this year that he almost makes a back pedalling scrum a strength. He has the ability to pick the ball up in the middle of the scrum one handed and is able to get the ball out extremely quick. On many occasions the opposition team has almost been caught off guard and Genia was able to make a few linebreaks and create tries for the Reds this year.

Played majority of the game at fullback. Unlikely that he'll be considered for the tri nations. He's strictly a World Cup prospect.

Disagree, will be back in the side if fit. He is our starting no12.

I think the problems he's having with his head are enough extenuating circumstances for Deans to not abide by the "if he's fit, he play" line.

He needs more time to prove he's fully confident in his body and his mind to take on the best in the world.

If he is fully ready and confident, he is certainly our best no.12, I agree with you there. But he needs more time IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back