Australia vs. Sri Lanka (2 Tests), pre-series discussion

Doss

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter Admin #1
Yes yes, I know there is still a Test of the India series to go, but this series is rapidly approaching now too, so thought I'd get the ball rolling.

One thing to immediately note; Sri Lanka have just lost a two match series in New Zealand 1-0. They escaped with a rather miraculous draw in the first Test in Wellington after looking dead and buried; they then began the second Test in Christchurch cock-a-hoop and had NZ 64/6 just after lunch on day one.

Less than four days later, they lost the Test by the rather horrid margin of 423 runs.

And, and this is a crushing blow for Sri Lanka...

Angelo Matthews is now almost certain to miss the tour of Australia because of the severity of the hamstring injury he suffered in the second Test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Losing Mathews puts a massive dent in their middle order.

If there's any juice to the pitches, the SL seamers may go okay - they did alright in NZ and previously in England when there was - but if there's nothing, they'll be relying on bad batting to get wickets, especially without a proven spinner.

Fortunately for them, they're playing Australia, whose batsman are all about bad shot selection.

the universal

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's hard to see Sri Lanka making too much of a dent into even this Australia here, but I expect Mendis will shine in any case. I'd like to see a competitive series if only because Sri Lanka have had a poor run of performances of late/since Herath's retirement.

Carbine Chaos

Jubilant Masto
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, Delhi, Perth
Surely we use a series against poor opposition like this to blood a few new players in the squad?

Jhye should get a run, although it isn't as though it's the bowling needing fixing. Pucovski/Sangha around the squad for experience? Or are we concerned about throwing in those guys too early.

Ciderhound

All Australian
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely we use a series against poor opposition like this to blood a few new players in the squad?

Jhye should get a run, although it isn't as though it's the bowling needing fixing. Pucovski/Sangha around the squad for experience? Or are we concerned about throwing in those guys too early.
All for giving the youngsters a crack. This series will attract zero interest from the aus sporting public bar cricket tragics and a few lankan expats. Let's see what they have got.

Doss

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter Admin #9
Not sure how a Brisbane Test will go in January either. The chances of avoiding rain interruptions at some point through a five day Test will be approximately zero I suspect.

Thanks India.

to1994

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
We still need to play our best side. Chandimal, Karunaratne and Mendis are all better then our top 6 aside from maybe Khawaja so they still need to be treated with respect. Fortunately, I think their bowling will be too poor to beat us but it won't be a walk in the park. I certainly wouldn't be resting bowlers with the expectation we'll be making 400+ with the bat as despite their bowling we're still going to play dumb shots.

AFL Club
Collingwood
We still need to play our best side. Chandimal, Karunaratne and Mendis are all better then our top 6 aside from maybe Khawaja so they still need to be treated with respect. Fortunately, I think their bowling will be too poor to beat us but it won't be a walk in the park. I certainly wouldn't be resting bowlers with the expectation we'll be making 400+ with the bat as despite their bowling we're still going to play dumb shots.
We don't even play our best side in 'bigger' series like the current one. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new face or two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larry Barnsworth

Playing my Natural Game
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Curious how a Test wicket at Manuka will play? is it a drop in?

Will probably be quite warm-ish early Feb in Canberra.

Angelo Mathews is a guy who I think has been around longer than he actually has. I'm probably confusing him with someone from Murali's generation. I constantly confuse Bancroft and Burns, but I blame the Australian Selectors for that who I think might do the same.

Month is a long way away. Can see us making 0 or 1 changes to the XI for Sydney but up to 4 for these tests, things being what they are.

I like Head. Being 25 and that you can visibly observe that he's trying to improve, I hope they persevere. I also hope the same for Harris but he doesn't have quite the same name value in terms of double entendre. My eight ball seems to think there'll be a change to the bowling unit due to injury or sports science too.

HLM*

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Seeing as though Sheffield Shield form is quite obviously not a priority in earning selection, i’d like to see something like this take the field.

I think it’s important we give an opportunity to a quick that’ll be going to England as apart of the Ashes squad. Not necessarily the next best in line, but somebody who’ll potentially thrive in those conditions. It’ll give an opportunity to one of Hazlewood/Cummins/Starc to have a rest too provided all 3 play in the proceeding ODI’s against India after the Sydney test.

Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
SMarsh
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
JRichardson

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Would like to see a bit of experimentation. Play Labuschagne in this series, play Tremain and Richardson. Something like:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Wade
Labuschagne
Paine
Neser
Richardson
Tremain
Lyon

Have Pucovski and Sangha around the squad as well. Siddle too, just to help with experience.

Carbine Chaos

Jubilant Masto
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, Delhi, Perth
Would like to see a bit of experimentation. Play Labuschagne in this series, play Tremain and Richardson. Something like:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Wade
Labuschagne
Paine
Neser
Richardson
Tremain
Lyon

Have Pucovski and Sangha around the squad as well. Siddle too, just to help with experience.
Why Neser though. Too far man haha.

Carbine Chaos

Jubilant Masto
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, Delhi, Perth
I know you don't like him, however he's a good swing bowler and we can see if he'd be capable in England with a minor step up.
I've come around a bit but let's not hand him a baggy green mate. An attack of three debutants is a bit too disrespectful for the Lankans.

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I predict a 1-1 draw.

Sri Lanka definitely have the personnel to take one test match.
Other than Karunaratne, Mendis and Chandimal (the latter two who had poor tours of New Zealand) their batting is pretty toothless if Matthews isn't playing. And if Suranga Lakmal is opening the bowling for them, well...

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is the current batting group we have:
Openers- Renshaw (11 tests), Finch (5 tests), Burns (16 tests), Bancroft (8 tests), Harris (3 tests)
Middle Order- Labuschagne (2 tests), M. Marsh (31 tests), S. Marsh (37 tests), Khawaja (38 tests), Head (5 tests), Handscomb (15 tests)

Could we use this series just to sort the players out and find which ones should be thrown away? Instead of trying new blood, let's just clear the deadwood by giving them a last few chances.

Top Bottom