Australia vs. Sri Lanka (2 Tests), pre-series discussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

estibador

purple haze
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Blewett had a blinder of a series for Australia A, 2 early tons against England, double ton v SA but then was pretty much shit the rest of his career.

And 32 ODIs, average of 20 with a sr of 61 o_O In an era of massive strength in Australian cricket how the **** did this guy manage to get picked so much?
I'm surprised seeing his stats, I thought I remembered him being better than that.

Maybe because he looked good when he made runs. I like an aesthetic batsman.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I'm surprised seeing his stats, I thought I remembered him being better than that.

Maybe because he looked good when he made runs. I like an aesthetic batsman.
I always remembered him as being mainly crap for Australia after a good start, but it was even worse than I thought.

He looked a million bucks playing in that Australian A 4 team series, even his bowling was pretty handy so that may at least partially explain why they stuck with him for so long. But it's staggering to get so many games in an era of such wealth in batting depth, people would melt over a record like that now when we have hardly anyone worthy of being picked.

The Swans Blog

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Blewett had a blinder of a series for Australia A, 2 early tons against England, double ton v SA but then was pretty much shit the rest of his career.

And 32 ODIs, average of 20 with a sr of 61 o_O In an era of massive strength in Australian cricket how the **** did this guy manage to get picked so much?
I still remember commentators using his name with comedic value. In the 90s he looked to be an inspired selection at one time.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Worst Australian team to tour England indeed.
That none for 300 day was an epiphany for me. It was the day that I decided I could enjoy watching Australia play well without any negativity. That was a pretty likeable Aussie team.

Gough

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moderator #958
That none for 300 day was an epiphany for me. It was the day that I decided I could enjoy watching Australia play well without any negativity. That was a pretty likeable Aussie team.
It's one of those things that does nothing for your mid life crisis when you realise that was 30 years ago this year

Howard Littlejohn

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Direct quote from Hohns, "We're also very mindful of the Big Bash that is going on and not disrupting the franchises by taking away too many of their players." What the actual f***???!! All that ails cricket at the moment surmised in a sentence.
******* seriously?

edit: Oh, for the tour game. Given that tour games basically don't exist any more and tend to be made of joke teams, not such an issue.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucking Beads

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the squad picked I'd run with the following line up for the Gabba Test.

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Heads
Labuschagna
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Renshaw doesn't have the runs on the board recently but I feel he is a long term opener for the Test team. Pukovski looks really good but I do have concerns on the lack of leadership and maturity in this team so I left him out.

Not a fan of us not changing up the bowlers a bit. I don't see much value in Siddle playing and would have preferred Richardson or Tremain to be given his spot.

hugecannon

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Heads
Labuschagna
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Renshaw doesn't have the runs on the board recently but I feel he is a long term opener for the Test team. Pukovski looks really good but I do have concerns on the lack of leadership and maturity in this team so I left him out.

Not a fan of us not changing up the bowlers a bit. I don't see much value in Siddle playing and would have preferred Richardson or Tremain to be given his spot.
This is my team as well but I wouldn’t be adverse to Pucovski playing ahead of Labuschagne.

Then for the ashes Smith comes in for Pucovski/Labuschagne and Warner for Head/Renshaw/Harris.

Ashes team: -

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Harris/Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

AFL Club
Melbourne

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Heads
Labuschagna
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Nice.

I’d probably roll the same given the names

AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the most important thing that I’d like to see against SL is a revitalised approach to our batting. We need to learn to build partnerships and develop some staying power. I think with Burns and hopefully Renshaw in the side we will get that stability. Renshaw is a classic test match ‘boring’ batsman, and we are crying out for that. I’d like to see him open with Harris with Burns at 3 and Usman at 4. I’d probably slot Labuschagne at 5 followed by Head.

I don’t think we need Pucovski right now.

Renshaw should never have been dropped and he needs an opportunity pre England to salvage his career.

AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the current batting group we have:
Openers- Renshaw (11 tests), Finch (5 tests), Burns (16 tests), Bancroft (8 tests), Harris (3 tests)
Middle Order- Labuschagne (2 tests), M. Marsh (31 tests), S. Marsh (37 tests), Khawaja (38 tests), Head (5 tests), Handscomb (15 tests)

Could we use this series just to sort the players out and find which ones should be thrown away? Instead of trying new blood, let's just clear the deadwood by giving them a last few chances.
Well I’d be loathe to rule out the following at all, irrespective of the series;

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Harris
Finch
Bancroft - although I’d have him nowhere near test contention just yet
Finch - maybe deserves a go at 6
Head
Labuschagne

Both Marsh brothers are done at test level in my opinion. If there is an obsession with an all rounder, look at Henriques or Neser

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well I’d be loathe to rule out the following at all, irrespective of the series;

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Harris
Finch
Bancroft - although I’d have him nowhere near test contention just yet
Finch - maybe deserves a go at 6
Head
Labuschagne

Both Marsh brothers are done at test level in my opinion. If there is an obsession with an all rounder, look at Henriques or Neser
Mitch Marsh is a whole lot better than Henriques and still better than Neser, even though Neser is barely even classified as an all-rounder

AFL Club
Melbourne
Mitch Marsh is a whole lot better than Henriques and still better than Neser, even though Neser is barely even classified as an all-rounder
Hmmmm, don't know about that, Marsh's test numbers are flat out woeful and Henriques is averaging 42 this season in shield cricket. Neser i'd rate as an all rounder in England if they had to absolutely have one (which they don't and shouldn't mind you).

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Top Bottom