Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing Mathews puts a massive dent in their middle order.

If there's any juice to the pitches, the SL seamers may go okay - they did alright in NZ and previously in England when there was - but if there's nothing, they'll be relying on bad batting to get wickets, especially without a proven spinner.

Fortunately for them, they're playing Australia, whose batsman are all about bad shot selection.

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's hard to see Sri Lanka making too much of a dent into even this Australia here, but I expect Mendis will shine in any case. I'd like to see a competitive series if only because Sri Lanka have had a poor run of performances of late/since Herath's retirement.

Surely we use a series against poor opposition like this to blood a few new players in the squad?

Jhye should get a run, although it isn't as though it's the bowling needing fixing. Pucovski/Sangha around the squad for experience? Or are we concerned about throwing in those guys too early.

Ciderhound

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely we use a series against poor opposition like this to blood a few new players in the squad?

Jhye should get a run, although it isn't as though it's the bowling needing fixing. Pucovski/Sangha around the squad for experience? Or are we concerned about throwing in those guys too early.

All for giving the youngsters a crack. This series will attract zero interest from the aus sporting public bar cricket tragics and a few lankan expats. Let's see what they have got.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
We still need to play our best side. Chandimal, Karunaratne and Mendis are all better then our top 6 aside from maybe Khawaja so they still need to be treated with respect. Fortunately, I think their bowling will be too poor to beat us but it won't be a walk in the park. I certainly wouldn't be resting bowlers with the expectation we'll be making 400+ with the bat as despite their bowling we're still going to play dumb shots.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
We still need to play our best side. Chandimal, Karunaratne and Mendis are all better then our top 6 aside from maybe Khawaja so they still need to be treated with respect. Fortunately, I think their bowling will be too poor to beat us but it won't be a walk in the park. I certainly wouldn't be resting bowlers with the expectation we'll be making 400+ with the bat as despite their bowling we're still going to play dumb shots.

We don't even play our best side in 'bigger' series like the current one. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new face or two

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Curious how a Test wicket at Manuka will play? is it a drop in?

Will probably be quite warm-ish early Feb in Canberra.

Angelo Mathews is a guy who I think has been around longer than he actually has. I'm probably confusing him with someone from Murali's generation. I constantly confuse Bancroft and Burns, but I blame the Australian Selectors for that who I think might do the same.

Month is a long way away. Can see us making 0 or 1 changes to the XI for Sydney but up to 4 for these tests, things being what they are.

I like Head. Being 25 and that you can visibly observe that he's trying to improve, I hope they persevere. I also hope the same for Harris but he doesn't have quite the same name value in terms of double entendre. My eight ball seems to think there'll be a change to the bowling unit due to injury or sports science too.

HLM*

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Seeing as though Sheffield Shield form is quite obviously not a priority in earning selection, i’d like to see something like this take the field.

I think it’s important we give an opportunity to a quick that’ll be going to England as apart of the Ashes squad. Not necessarily the next best in line, but somebody who’ll potentially thrive in those conditions. It’ll give an opportunity to one of Hazlewood/Cummins/Starc to have a rest too provided all 3 play in the proceeding ODI’s against India after the Sydney test.

Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
SMarsh
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
JRichardson

Would like to see a bit of experimentation. Play Labuschagne in this series, play Tremain and Richardson. Something like:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Wade
Labuschagne
Paine
Neser
Richardson
Tremain
Lyon

Have Pucovski and Sangha around the squad as well. Siddle too, just to help with experience.

Would like to see a bit of experimentation. Play Labuschagne in this series, play Tremain and Richardson. Something like:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Wade
Labuschagne
Paine
Neser
Richardson
Tremain
Lyon

Have Pucovski and Sangha around the squad as well. Siddle too, just to help with experience.
Why Neser though. Too far man haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why Neser though. Too far man haha.
I know you don't like him, however he's a good swing bowler and we can see if he'd be capable in England with a minor step up.

I know you don't like him, however he's a good swing bowler and we can see if he'd be capable in England with a minor step up.
I've come around a bit but let's not hand him a baggy green mate. An attack of three debutants is a bit too disrespectful for the Lankans.

I've come around a bit but let's not hand him a baggy green mate. An attack of three debutants is a bit too disrespectful for the Lankans.
Patto_Man then. Or Bird.

I predict a 1-1 draw.

Sri Lanka definitely have the personnel to take one test match.
Other than Karunaratne, Mendis and Chandimal (the latter two who had poor tours of New Zealand) their batting is pretty toothless if Matthews isn't playing. And if Suranga Lakmal is opening the bowling for them, well...

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
This is the current batting group we have:
Openers- Renshaw (11 tests), Finch (5 tests), Burns (16 tests), Bancroft (8 tests), Harris (3 tests)
Middle Order- Labuschagne (2 tests), M. Marsh (31 tests), S. Marsh (37 tests), Khawaja (38 tests), Head (5 tests), Handscomb (15 tests)

Could we use this series just to sort the players out and find which ones should be thrown away? Instead of trying new blood, let's just clear the deadwood by giving them a last few chances.

This is the current batting group we have:
Openers- Renshaw (11 tests), Finch (5 tests), Burns (16 tests), Bancroft (8 tests), Harris (3 tests)
Middle Order- Labuschagne (2 tests), M. Marsh (31 tests), S. Marsh (37 tests), Khawaja (38 tests), Head (5 tests), Handscomb (15 tests)

Could we use this series just to sort the players out and find which ones should be thrown away? Instead of trying new blood, let's just clear the deadwood by giving them a last few chances.
Finch and M Marsh don't need another chance.

Handscomb's papers are stamped until he does something about his 'technique'. I have the same reservations about Head but he'll likely stay.

Surely it's a better idea to blood new players in this series pre-Ashes than going same old, same old?

Should probably be fine here. Australia's bowling hasn't been the problem against India, it's the batting. And while India's attack is genuinely pretty good these days everywhere, Sri Lanka's really need something in the wicket to take wickets, so our batsmen will never get a better chance to make hay.

If we do manage to draw or lose here, will be infinitely more embarrassing than doing so against India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back