Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It was a worry that the bowling coach and lyon said the bowlers basically ignored the plans to bowl fuller so they could bang it in short all day, paine came out and supported them days later but i think he is worried about losing the dressing room and those bowlers seem to have a lot of sway in this fractured and inexperienced team.

I think they're just reverting to type. No one complained about the bowling in Perth when the pitch offered bounce and movement, but once presented with a slow deck they went back to bowling short and trying to intimidate to get wickets.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Trevor Hohns is the chairman of selectors, ultimately who is and isn't picked lands on him.

As far as Langer goes I'm more concerned about how many of our set batsmen got out to dumb shots and how poor our bowling was. Cummins bowled something like 75% short of a length for the series. No wonder we didn't get single LBW from our 3 quicks.
THIS is the point.

We often mistake the quality of the decision with the quality of the outcome. Most of the selections have been fine - but if they perform badly when they get there, well that's a coaching issue.
It was a worry that the bowling coach and lyon said the bowlers basically ignored the plans to bowl fuller so they could bang it in short all day, paine came out and supported them days later but i think he is worried about losing the dressing room and those bowlers seem to have a lot of sway in this fractured and inexperienced team.
Smart leadership by Paine. Publicly support your players - but what happens behind closed doors is something different.

I think anyone saying its a bad idea for Pucovski to be in and around for potential mental health issues needs to probably take a step back since no one has any idea about the condition, severity or how he's currently going. I assume (maybe wriongly) the appropriate questions have been asked of the appropriate people for his own health safety.

I also think this is the dream scenario for the kid. He is clearly the best young bat in the county and is a special talent and here he is, getting a go in a home series against one of the worst international attacks in the world (their best fast bowler has an average of 41!!!), with arguably the lowest expectations of any batsmen in the history of Australian cricket. The kid cant really fail.

Hope he at least plays one of the tests and I cant wait to watch him play

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Direct quote from Hohns, "We're also very mindful of the Big Bash that is going on and not disrupting the franchises by taking away too many of their players." What the actual f***???!! All that ails cricket at the moment surmised in a sentence.

Melbourne Stars would disagree...

But that reinforces my expectations on Pucovski, he isn’t expected to play but is there for experience as he is t playing big bash

Melbourne Stars would disagree...

But that reinforces my expectations on Pucovski, he isn’t expected to play but is there for experience as he is t playing big bash
You never heard Daryl Foster or NSW coaches moaning when they lost half their team to higher duties, why is the BBL so bloody precious? This is just further proof to me that something is seriously out of whack with cricket in this country.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Guys like Hastings, Quiney and McGain had I'm pretty sure some of the best stats in the SS when they were given a BG. How did their Test careers go? There was also people that called it before hand that when they were picked that they would struggle badly to make the step up, screamed down of course by people that probably hardly watched them play at all that they were the best because of SS stats.

Hastings gets 1 Test on the flattest pitch in the world then dumped never to play again

If Pat Cummins made his debut in Sydney, would he now be axed never to play again?

You never heard Daryl Foster or NSW coaches moaning when they lost half their team to higher duties, why is the BBL so bloody precious? This is just further proof to me that something is seriously out of whack with cricket in this country.
It's all a conspiracy against Victoria/Melbourne Stars according to eddie. It annoys me even as a Victorian fan.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

A. I was simply responding to the quote when there will be half the Stars side away whilst most franchises are untouched so it’s just more lies from him

B. Most frustrating is more the fact they insist on going into camp for longer than the series actually is and rarely would you see a NSW player selected just to carry the drinks

A. I was simply responding to the quote when there will be half the Stars side away whilst most franchises are untouched so it’s just more lies from him

B. Most frustrating is more the fact they insist on going into camp for longer than the series actually is and rarely would you see a NSW player selected just to carry the drinks
My frustration wasn't directed at you, sorry if you read it that way.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Domestic cricket season (start of JLT Cup to end of Shield Final) is actually longer than the AFL season (first game of round one to Grand Final Day).

I get that, but probably not as fitness dependent as AFL (fast bowlers excluded).

AFL players rely on 3-4 months of heavy training to get through a full season, I think ongoing games is probably just as beneficial for a cricketer, even fast bowlers, given for batsman the games is very skill dependent sport and given the unique action of the fast bowlers, playing more matches is probably the best way to strengthen their bodies.

I liken cricket a bit to tennis tbh, tennis players play for 11 months of the year and it takes the young players a good 3-4 years for their bodies to get very hardended to endure the grand slams and ongoing matches. They will often just train conditioning for the 4-6 weeks they get off a year to prepare for the next season, match practice is much more beneficial to them, as it's a "touch" hand-eye sport similar to cricket.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Fun fact: I used to be a transcriber for a living so I put my transcriber hat back on and pulled out the Hohns quote about the BBL in full:

Question: (inaudible)

Hohns: The CA XI? Yeah, look, you’ve probably seen the squad for that and what we’ve done there is include some of our new inclusions in the test squad in that so they can at least get some red-ball cricket.

As we know, the Big Bash is currently being played and nobody has had the chance to play any red-ball cricket. We can’t do anything about that so we are seriously using this game particularly for those purposes.

We’re also very mindful of the Big Bash that is going on and not disrupting the franchises too much by taking too many of their players. But currently we’ve had no pull-back from the Big Bash franchises and I thank them for their cooperation there.

So when you look at the CA XI side, you'll see that it contains the new players to the test team: Burns, Renshaw and Pucovski, plus Labuschagne. None of them have had much red-ball cricket, as per Hohns's comments.

Of the others:

Patterson - no BBL games this year
Boland - is playing BBL for Stars
Doran - no BBL games
Holland - no BBL games
Neser - is playing BBL for Strikers
Sangha - is playing BBL for Thunder
Tremain - no BBL games

So they've filled the side with no more than one player per franchise. Strikers don't play when the CA XI is playing, so Neser might not even miss a game - the others will miss one at the most.

Most of the players selected would be close to a genuine Australia A team, and considering this isn't one, it's just a team thrown together as a warm-up for the opposition, I don't know why there is any angst over this at all.

Fun fact: I used to be a transcriber for a living so I put my transcriber hat back on and pulled out the Hohns quote about the BBL in full:

So when you look at the CA XI side, you'll see that it contains the new players to the test team: Burns, Renshaw and Pucovski, plus Labuschagne. None of them have had much red-ball cricket, as per Hohns's comments.

Of the others:

Patterson - no BBL games this year
Boland - is playing BBL for Stars
Doran - no BBL games
Holland - no BBL games
Neser - is playing BBL for Strikers
Sangha - is playing BBL for Thunder
Tremain - no BBL games

So they've filled the side with no more than one player per franchise. Strikers don't play when the CA XI is playing, so Neser might not even miss a game - the others will miss one at the most.

Most of the players selected would be close to a genuine Australia A team, and considering this isn't one, it's just a team thrown together as a warm-up for the opposition, I don't know why there is any angst over this at all.
I know what your saying and taken in isolation you're right but on top of all the other s**t that's going on it's just another frustration.

Yeah this, particularly when you consider the crap that we normally put together for a warmup for the opposition.
The majority of the time someone like Jake Doran or Sangha might be the best player on the CA XI, combined with at least half a dozen blokes who have played any shield cricket.

Should we be giving Daniel Worrall a crack in the second XI?
Which of the three quicks would you not include? Boland, best bowler this year; Neser, two very good years; Tremain, best bowler for the past 3 shield's combined?

Lynnsanity

All Australian
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I almost fell like people don’t want to give Wade another shot even though he currently deserves a go back on form (as a batsman not a keeper) because he comes across as a flog.

I’d rather we pump some in form flogs with a bit of an up yours mentally into the team that would help us show a winning mentality and a bit of fight, rather than some of these run of the mill form, pathetic, weak, feeble minded, nice guys who are too scared to express themselves because of the Cape Town incident.

This team is crying out for some characters that show some fire. Maybe we should just throw both Maxwell and Wade back in there as well as Pattinson when he is ready to return. Renshaw to open with Harris, Khawaja and either Head/Burns 3 and 4. Maxwell/Labaschagne to fight it out for 5 and act as a part time spinner to help Lyon out. Wade 6, Paine 7, Cummins 8, and have Pattinson come in for either Starc or Hazlewood, Lyon.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The Stars have Maxwell, Stoinis and Zampa who are ODI regulars. Previously they had Faulkner when he was an ODI regular, even Matthew Wade for a bit.

Sure Handscomb is an iffy selection but is anyone surprised the other 3 are in the squad? The Scorchers lose Mitch Marsh to ODI duty every year and Mitch and Shaun every other test series, plus Agar, NCN, Richardson are on CA's sometimes list.

If you don't want to lose players to international cricket don't pick internationally capped players. I think at one stage the Sixers had Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon on their books which would have been formidable if there was any chance of all of them actually playing together.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
If you don't want to lose players to international cricket don't pick internationally capped players. I think at one stage the Sixers had Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon on their books which would have been formidable if there was any chance of all of them actually playing together.

Having them on your list is just stupid, even when there is a gap, CA rest them anyway. I think they even had Steve Smith?

Maybe CA could give the Stars less games during that period like Adelaide or Brisbane have had for first month! Instead they are playing every 2 days!

What hurts is when you accept they will be away, pick players to replace them and they unexpectedly get called up!

If you looked at tomorrow nights game, who would expect Handscomb to be missing but Travis Head playing? He is a better LO player yet in Test squad and not ODI???

The selectors don’t even know what they’re doing week to week, how can anyone assembling a squad 12 month ago know? Would anyone expect to be losing Labuschagne or Pucovski if he was in a squad? Even Marcus Harris would be a shock, Aaron Finch away for tests?

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I almost fell like people don’t want to give Wade another shot even though he currently deserves a go back on form (as a batsman not a keeper) because he comes across as a flog.

I’d rather we pump some in form flogs with a bit of an up yours mentally into the team that would help us show a winning mentality and a bit of fight, rather than some of these run of the mill form, pathetic, weak, feeble minded, nice guys who are too scared to express themselves because of the Cape Town incident.

This team is crying out for some characters that show some fire. Maybe we should just throw both Maxwell and Wade back in there as well as Pattinson when he is ready to return. Renshaw to open with Harris, Khawaja and either Head/Burns 3 and 4. Maxwell/Labaschagne to fight it out for 5 and act as a part time spinner to help Lyon out. Wade 6, Paine 7, Cummins 8, and have Pattinson come in for either Starc or Hazlewood, Lyon.
Pattinson has plenty of campaigner in him. Would love to see him fully fit against England and just going hell for leather. The verbal stomach between him and Anderson would be next level. Such a shame injuries have struck him down. Really want to see him play and do a Rodney Hogg with 41 and 12!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back