Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No2 is hilarious, also love Jimmy laughing in the background of one of the later ones when he calls for the review, like yeah another review wasted!!!

So embarrassing.

Check out Sanath giving the Aussies an absolute hiding, including Shane Watson. My favourite moment is Watson's dismissal of him. The score is 1/233 after 33 overs. Watch his reaction. Ugh.

Shows how lucky the Australian public have been with cricketers over the past 25 years that they still like to throw shade at Watto.

Really good player that ended up with a solid record for a Test allrounder but was obviously held back by injuries and shifted around the order.
Yep, had an average of 35. Would have been higher if he converted his 50s into 100s more often though. Handy bowler as well, got a breakthrough wicket regularly.

Always felt that the DRS/review thing was sometimes unfair as well, some of those decisions would not result in the loss of a review nowadays as he always seemed to get fired out on an 'Umpires Call.'

Watson would probably be our best batsman right now. Excluding Warner and Smith if they were in the side. Little did we know that we would go into a massive spiral after that Hobart debacle...

I don't believe Shaun is in our top two worst ever Test cricketers but Watson was definitely better. There was a period of about two years where he was our best batsman including scoring a ton in India along with a lot of crucial 50s at the top of the order. He was also a very handy bowler.
Handy slip fielder too

Watson would probably be our best batsman right now. Excluding Warner and Smith if they were in the side. Little did we know that we would go into a massive spiral after that Hobart debacle...

They keep changing their minds. Basically got Warner to be an attack dog again after Hobart, brought wade back because he’s a bit of a campaigner behind the stumps.

Now Wade can’t get back in seemingly because of that fact (also the fact he wasn’t in great form at that time).

Seems they don’t know what they want to be or what the Australian public want. It’s basically don’t cheat and don’t be a complete knob. Those things shouldn’t be necessary to be a good side.

Coach and captain have both said we're not trying to be nice.

I think the way we play out on the field seems fine, though a bit subdued, but that is a by product of not winning.

I think the selections have been muddled due to the culture changes their wanting.

Largely our issue is we simply don’t have the depth of talent we used to. No one we are mentioning to be in the side is some kind of secret superstar who has been scoring double the runs of everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were a successful side because we had amazing players, many of whom were boorish and terrible winners. It was their talent as cricketers, not their ability to sledge, or hard edge that won us the matches.
It must say it greatly amuses me when a know all poster uses Steve Waugh and this side not employing nightwatchmen as some definitive argument against them. When you just flog almost everyone of course you can get away with not trying to help protect the top batsmen.

We were a successful side because we had amazing players, many of whom were boorish and terrible winners. It was their talent as cricketers, not their ability to sledge, or hard edge that won us the matches.

Correct, I don’t think it was all that bad to be honest. Some arrogance here and there and sledging, but wasn’t like the Windies in the 80s/90s were some Latter Day Saints (plenty of sledging, deliberately slow over rates, especially as their crown began to slip in the early 90s)

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...-tests-is-puzzling-and-laughable-1996899.html

To recap, since Maxwell was the reserve batsman for Australia’s Ashes opening Test last summer, we are up to 14 times where he has been overlooked for a vacant top six position, 13 of those since the sandpaper fiasco. In that period, he’s averaged 53 in first-class cricket.

This article sums up the mess that the Maxwell situation has become.

Correct, I don’t think it was all that bad to be honest. Some arrogance here and there and sledging, but wasn’t like the Windies in the 80s/90s were some Latter Day Saints (plenty of sledging, deliberately slow over rates, especially as their crown began to slip in the early 90s)
I saw most of the Waugh era from overseas and they were admired as cricketers but not as people. There'll be no lingering fondness for that side abroad like we feel for those great West Indian teams.

I’m not suggesting being complete douchebags but this whole elite honesty s**t doesn’t do much for me. It’s not so much they way we play, it’s just our selections seem entirely muddled as a result of the sandpaper fiasco.

They're muddled as a result of not enough players banging the door down. Our team was so stable 15 or so years ago, not only was the 11 stable but there was a predictable pecking order for if an opener, other bat, keeper, spinner or quick got injured. Blokes could average 60 in shield and not even be close to selection.

Maybe it is slightly related to sandpaper gate, if Smith and Warner were still around it would be slightly less all over the joint I guess.

I saw most of the Waugh era from overseas and they were admired as cricketers but not as people. There'll be no lingering fondness for that side abroad like we feel for those great West Indian teams.
The Windies were hardly the nicest of guys either though, particularly the likes of Ambrose. Putting on a broad smile at times didn't change the fact they could get plenty aggro.

The 'door' has become the new 'line'. Cricket has started to resemble politics with it's tired slogans.
People clinging on often find excuses/reasons or their existence or continued employment. Chappell certified crazy, Hohns hanging on as he nears mandatory CA retirement age.

Shaun Marsh and Mitchell Marsh are arguably two of the worst players to play test cricket for Australia this decade. I call it as it is, not because they're a couple of clowns from WA.

Why do people insist on posting such ridiculous hyperbole?

No way is Shaun Marsh 'one of the worst players to play Test cricket for Australia this decade', unless by 'one of' you mean in the bottom 30 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back