Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only because they played in a stronger era where you were replaced quicker if you weren't a gun.

So really your problem is with the current state of Australian cricket, not Marsh.

Pretty much. It’s not his fault he’s still getting picked. Still a s**t truck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blewett had a blinder of a series for Australia A, 2 early tons against England, double ton v SA but then was pretty much s**t the rest of his career.

And 32 ODIs, average of 20 with a sr of 61 o_O In an era of massive strength in Australian cricket how the **** did this guy manage to get picked so much?

Blewett had a blinder of a series for Australia A, 2 early tons against England, double ton v SA but then was pretty much s**t the rest of his career.

And 32 ODIs, average of 20 with a sr of 61 o_O In an era of massive strength in Australian cricket how the **** did this guy manage to get picked so much?

I'm surprised seeing his stats, I thought I remembered him being better than that.

Maybe because he looked good when he made runs. I like an aesthetic batsman.

I'm surprised seeing his stats, I thought I remembered him being better than that.

Maybe because he looked good when he made runs. I like an aesthetic batsman.
I always remembered him as being mainly crap for Australia after a good start, but it was even worse than I thought.

He looked a million bucks playing in that Australian A 4 team series, even his bowling was pretty handy so that may at least partially explain why they stuck with him for so long. But it's staggering to get so many games in an era of such wealth in batting depth, people would melt over a record like that now when we have hardly anyone worthy of being picked.

How good was that A team tournament? Tubby Taylor cracking the shits in the media because most of the public weren't going for them :D

Then ripping their best bowler for the comp and making him sit out the final as 12th man, that was a disgrace.

I still remember commentators using his name with comedic value. In the 90s he looked to be an inspired selection at one time.

Worst Australian team to tour England indeed.

That none for 300 day was an epiphany for me. It was the day that I decided I could enjoy watching Australia play well without any negativity. That was a pretty likeable Aussie team.

That none for 300 day was an epiphany for me. It was the day that I decided I could enjoy watching Australia play well without any negativity. That was a pretty likeable Aussie team.
It's one of those things that does nothing for your mid life crisis when you realise that was 30 years ago this year

Direct quote from Hohns, "We're also very mindful of the Big Bash that is going on and not disrupting the franchises by taking away too many of their players." What the actual f***???!! All that ails cricket at the moment surmised in a sentence.
******* seriously?

edit: Oh, for the tour game. Given that tour games basically don't exist any more and tend to be made of joke teams, not such an issue.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the squad picked I'd run with the following line up for the Gabba Test.

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Heads
Labuschagna
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Renshaw doesn't have the runs on the board recently but I feel he is a long term opener for the Test team. Pukovski looks really good but I do have concerns on the lack of leadership and maturity in this team so I left him out.

Not a fan of us not changing up the bowlers a bit. I don't see much value in Siddle playing and would have preferred Richardson or Tremain to be given his spot.

From the squad picked I'd run with the following line up for the Gabba Test.

Harris
Renshaw
Khawaja
Burns
Heads
Labuschagna
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Renshaw doesn't have the runs on the board recently but I feel he is a long term opener for the Test team. Pukovski looks really good but I do have concerns on the lack of leadership and maturity in this team so I left him out.

Not a fan of us not changing up the bowlers a bit. I don't see much value in Siddle playing and would have preferred Richardson or Tremain to be given his spot.
This is my team as well but I wouldn’t be adverse to Pucovski playing ahead of Labuschagne.

Then for the ashes Smith comes in for Pucovski/Labuschagne and Warner for Head/Renshaw/Harris.

Ashes team: -

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Harris/Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

my 16 man squad for the Ashes at this stage.

first test team -reserve players

Renshaw -Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Pucovski -Stoinis
Paine -Wade WK/bat
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Worrall - Starc, Richardson

so I'll admit its likely Warner could be straight back in as opener, but i'd give the other 2 a go first if they play well vs Sri Lanka and look in touch in warm up games over there.
taking Wade streamlines the squad a bit. going as a back up keeper who could also be called upon just as a batsman if needed, so we have 2 back up bats, 3 if the all rounder plays instead of a genuine batsman at 6.
2 spare quicks. Richardson is the best young bowler in the country and likely to be involved in future Ashes tours. probably wouldn't play much anyway, but it would be good experience for him to go this time. and I want Worrall in. his ability to swing the ball would be handy over there, although there is a question mark over his fitness. but he was in ripping form before he broke down. maybe take Sayers instead, if he doesn't get up.
and the all rounder Stoinis caps off the squad to bring home the Ashes!

my 16 man squad for the Ashes at this stage.

first test team -reserve players

Renshaw -Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Pucovski -Stoinis
Paine -Wade WK/bat
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Worrall - Starc, Richardson

so I'll admit its likely Warner could be straight back in as opener, but i'd give the other 2 a go first if they play well vs Sri Lanka and look in touch in warm up games over there.
taking Wade streamlines the squad a bit. going as a back up keeper who could also be called upon just as a batsman if needed, so we have 2 back up bats, 3 if the all rounder plays instead of a genuine batsman at 6.
2 spare quicks. Richardson is the best young bowler in the country and likely to be involved in future Ashes tours. probably wouldn't play much anyway, but it would be good experience for him to go this time. and I want Worrall in. his ability to swing the ball would be handy over there, although there is a question mark over his fitness. but he was in ripping form before he broke down. maybe take Sayers instead, if he doesn't get up.
and the all rounder Stoinis caps off the squad to bring home the Ashes!

Probably need a spinning AR/batsman, so a Travis Head type probably. Don't see Wade going, if they want an extra keeper, just take Carey. Wade as keeper is a big NO. Bancroft will be there is some shape or form. One of teh few in the country that can play a genuine test match innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back